• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

35 TE Cockpit Sunshade

Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

35 TE Cockpit Sunshade

Post by Halcyon »

Hello all, I am starting to work on an off season project to build a sunshade for the cockpit of our 35 TE. It is a flying bridge model and I see and opportunity to have tubes telescope out from the flying bridge eliminating any framework from the gunnel. The will run roughly parallel to the green stripe and come out at the aft end where it turns.
IMG_0445.jpg
The mechanics of the install are easy enough except for how to make it as unobtrusive as possible when not in use. The cover, light sunbrella or screen, will come off and the tubes slide into the flying bridge. I can't find a good way to finish the exposed part.
IMG_5204.JPG
I hoped to make the 2" stationary tube recessed and the sliding tube would use the piece left in the hole saw as a cap for a flush fit, but there is no way i can get access from inside to do anything. I though about a 90 degree rod holder the tube would slide out of but it would require some pretty big fairing blocks and be too noticeable. A fuel/water filler cap might work. but dimensions are tight.

Right now i am leaning toward casting a round cap with the curve of the flying bridge to cover the area. Anyone out there have any other solutions/suggestions? thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Re: 35 TE Cockpit Sunshade

Post by Ben423 »

I use plastic push-in end caps. Look up 2" plastic end caps on Amazon.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I'll be watching this project with great interest!!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

I like the cap idea, thanks. I'm going to order the fiberglass tube soon. My next challenge is cutting the boat, which always scares me, without chipping the gelcoat.
Does anyone have advice on hole saw type? I plan on covering the area well with painter's tape.

I have used jigsaw blades that cut on the down stroke instead of the up stroke because they were supposed to chip less. There wasn't the 'night and day' difference I hoped to see. Any hole saw advice?

I guess ill get a sharp hole saw, spin it fast and apply pressure slowly. Any advice is welcome.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

To minimize chipping the gelcoat try using a diamond grit hole saw. Use easy pressure and spin it in short bursts so you don't get too much heat buildup.
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Well i screwed up my courage and drilled the holes yesterday, they turned out better than I expected
IMG_5419.JPG
Next is finishing the mounting of the stationary tube and then the canvass work
IMG_5416.JPG
Why are my pictures sideways until you click on them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

IMG_E5476.JPG
Here is a mock up of the shade I did for the canvass guy. The aft orange rope is the trailing edge showing the amount of preload i want to give the tubes. The middle line is to show how the fabric will be supported from above.

The tubes I got are 1/8" wall. I am going to upgrade the inner one to 1/4" wall for a bit more stiffness.

First estimate for canvass is $1,000 for Sunbrella. Its about what I expected, not what I hoped for. Great shop with great attention to detail.

How do I adjust the rotation of the pictures? thx TD
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Looking good!

How far in to the bridge/outer tube does the support tube go when extended? I'm assuming at least 12-18". And how do you secure it?

Are you taking your photos on an iPhone and posting from the phone? Or from a computer?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Sorry for the lack of updates, here are a couple of pictures of the first install. It works well and is quite strong, even underway, I am going to have a sleeve installed down the centerline to help create a bit of a ridge.
IMG_7007.JPG
These are Iphone pictures but posted from a desktop.

IMG_7008.JPG

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”