• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AC/DC Panel Help!!!!

oldsalt22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: long island

AC/DC Panel Help!!!!

Post by oldsalt22 »

Hi All,
I am the new owner of a 2005 flush deck 28TE. I am having problems with the DC electric on the boat. My marina mechanic is trying to trouble shoot exactly what is wrong. He tried to open the AC/DC panel in the cabin but said it would not budge. He became so frustrated that he was about to take a crowbar to it. Has anyone open up this panel?? Is there any trick to getting it opened?
Any tips and advice from the pros would be greatly appreciated.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: AC/DC Panel Help!!!!

Post by catalina_mike »

Mine flipped down fine when I was checking connections after breaking it loose. It was tight because it hadn't moved for years. Use a putty knife all the way around breaking it loose first. There was not a ton of slack in the wiring but get a town ready to protect the surface below.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

Make sure your ground connections at the batteries and bus bars are tight too. I can't remember were they are on a 28, but it down in the hull somewhere.

My 31 had 2 bus bars, the big one (The one from the batteries) and a smaller one just above it. (for a lot of the stuff you want to power) The wire between them was a bit loose so I cleaned up everything, and tighten them down, and put some electrical goo on them to prevent corrosion.

So the problem that time was not to be found in the panel. If your panel checks out (make sure you have 12 volts on both sides of each circuit breaker when activated causing an issue) and you still have more than a few things out, or everything for that matter, and you don't find anything behind the DC panel, try checking the grounds at the bus bars or other ground smaller distribution bars. There might be some small ones behind the instrument panel, etc. Some times boats have in line fuses in the back of the main DC panel, or behind the instrument panel)

You also have battery selection switches that can go bad if it a 12 volt issue. (Everything would be out for this to be true, with a few exception for bilge pumps etc.)
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
oldsalt22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by oldsalt22 »

Kowal
thanks for all the advice good things to keep in mind. The immediate issue is we can't get access to the panel. It is out about half an inch and won't budge. Mechanic is thinking of putting in an access under the chart table.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

oldsalt22 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:43 pm .... Mechanic is thinking of putting in an access under the chart table.
Brings back great memories from the AOG good old days... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1419&hilit=sawzall
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Seen the wire trick before. Never cut when you don't know what is behind it. Your panel should pull out enough to see behind it.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:42 pm
oldsalt22 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:43 pm .... Mechanic is thinking of putting in an access under the chart table.
Brings back great memories from the AOG good old days... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1419&hilit=sawzall
Too funny .. I knew immediately what that link would be about .. "Sawzall Dave!"
Good memories. Thanks!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:45 pm Too funny .. I knew immediately what that link would be about .. "Sawzall Dave!"
Good memories. Thanks!
As I was typing it I knew you would! And here's the pic to properly finish off this hi-jacking.

As to the OP - if you have that panel out a 1/2" it must be a cable tie or such that is snagging and hanging up the panel from coming out further. It obviously was not assembled with a 1/2" of clearance. Disconnect the shore power cord and make sure the AC is fully down (no inverter, etc) and get back there with something, it must come out. A wifi borescope on a smartphone would be perfect for this to see what's going on back there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
oldsalt22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by oldsalt22 »

Thank you to all the posters we got out. He said he had to make the opening just a little bigger. Cant even tell with the panel screwed back in.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”