• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

dripless shaft bearing

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

dripless shaft bearing

Post by special k »

this past season after a bit of running i notice more bilge water than usual, frequent bilge pump operation. without any other obvious reasons i suspect the shaft bearing. the boat does not take water while sitting at dock. my question is what is involved with the replacement of this bearing in my 2002 28te. now i also have an engine oil leak which is suspected from oil pan around dipstick connection. (yanmar 6lpa-stp) does the engine have to come out entirely? my diesel techs want to do the oil pan repair by lifting the engine in place not total removal. also the bearing replacement will not be done by the engine guys, to my disappointment. any input or shared experiences appreciated.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Re: dripless shaft bearing

Post by Serenity »

I had the same oil leak issue on my 315. The yard pulled my engine to replace the oil pan and epoxied it as well. Yanmar oil pans only come in steel. While the engine was out they miked my shaft (Which was sent out for a little R&R) and serviced my dripless bearing. They did the work over the winter while my 28 was sitting in my backyard. This enabled me to clean and paint the bilge, check pumps and install a high water alarm. I have a V-drive so they had to pull the engine. The only thought I have is when they remove your oil pan, I hope they don't add more oil to your bilge.

Good luck
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

i am not familiar with what service a dripless bearing might need
dabeachman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Galena, MD

Post by dabeachman »

I recently had the shaft seal replaced from a stuffing to a dripless and when I took it out it was leaking water, so I had them pull the shaft, hub and prop and to send out for balancing, after some refurb all works well. The engine did not have to come out, just had to take the rudder off. Also replaced the cutlass at the same time for good measure.
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

don't see how you can get to the dripless stuffing bearing without at least lifting the motor....do tell
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

special k wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:15 pm don't see how you can get to the dripless stuffing bearing without at least lifting the motor....do tell

Very long arms and someone who can fit alongside the engine under the deck!

Sure it’s the shaft seal? Have you checked your raw water pump?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
dabeachman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Galena, MD

Post by dabeachman »

special k wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:15 pm don't see how you can get to the dripless stuffing bearing without at least lifting the motor....do tell

have to enter port side hatch head first and actually can reach it, pretty tight though
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

thanks, as a slightly overweight, over sixty guy i'll try to get it adjusted when the engine is lifted for the oil pan repair
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Our 2003 is currently in for the same oil pan replacement.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

Cape Codder wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:02 am Our 2003 is currently in for the same oil pan replacement.
good luck with that, good time to adjust the dripless shaft bearing also. i feel that salt water intrusion from the shaft bearing may be the cause of my oil pan issue.
cheers!
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

With mine having a Cummins, we had to pull the engine because the old shaft log was shot. I did engine mounts while it was out and also painted the bilge. I'd imagine it could be done with the engine in and the shaft out (on the hard) but would not be pleasant.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

The drippless bearing was “splashing” salt water on the oil pan, and eventually corroded the pan, resulting in an oil leak.
It required lifting the Yanmar out for repair.
Also a new raw water pump, and exhaust elbow, and a few more minor repairs while she was out.
$12,000+
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

Cape Codder wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:27 pm The drippless bearing was “splashing” salt water on the oil pan, and eventually corroded the pan, resulting in an oil leak.
Also a new raw water pump, and exhaust elbow, and a few more minor repairs while she was out.
$12,000+
wow, thats about 25% of a repower, don't expect my repairs to be that pricy
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

Cape Codder wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:27 pm The drippless bearing was “splashing” salt water on the oil pan, and eventually corroded the pan, resulting in an oil leak.
$12,000+
what was the solution for the dripless bearing, adjustment or full replacement?

thanks

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”