• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Reviving a 2000 28 TE

Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

Reviving a 2000 28 TE

Post by Tom Un »

Reviving an Albin 2000 TE 28
I bought a TE 28 in Florida – I had a surveyor look at it for me as Im in California. Had it shipped to ABTrailer in Pomona Ca. – Took 3 mo.s for the trailer to get built then pulled it home and immediately started on it. First I pulled the hose off the strainer and put the hose in a 5 gallon bucket so I could start the engine , after 5 mins I changed the oil – started and still dirty so I changed it again then took the coolers and heat exchanger's off – quick inspection and decided to flush in lieu of ultra sonic cleaning -after fresh water flushing I put the coolers vertically in a large sink and flushed again - change all zinks and gaskets –lubed with Alco - wow the inner cooler was dirty –- based on what I saw I ordered a puke can with breather filters – sent turbo out for rebuild and had it ceramic painted – changed the trans oil & filters – fuel filters – air filter – took out the raw water pump – ordered a new one from Depco – put new gaskets on all the deck hatches – change the two one way check vales for the deck drains – they were original and needed to be replaced – also had the change 2 of the deck drains as they were cracked – mid ship bilge looks like it hasn’t been operational in about 10 years – got a new belt driven double diaphragm bilge pump and float switch – replace the old transom scuppers and transom light – installed new wiper arms with washer water capabilities – installed a stainless steel electric solenoid to the fresh water line - installed silicon wiper blades – one motor was replaced went with the AFI 1.5 – installed zinks on the trim tabs – changed the stern bearing housing and shaft zink & rudder zinks- lapped the prop just to confirm it was a good fit - changed the engine cover gas pistons and used a much larger dimension for the offset block 1-1/2” starboard with 4 SS #12 screws with nylon nuts instead of the 2 screw set up – way stronger works great – the 2 hatch locks at the anchor rode storage was completely corroded away change with solid SS hatch locks – reset the windless wiring so it won’t get caught in the anchor rode - replaced the toilet – replaced the macerator pump – went thru all the bonding connections – pulled the bow thruster it did not work the negative cable was burnt had to be cut back - cleaned the brushes – new sear pin – oil hose – works great now – went over all the wiring as it was really sloppy – changed all the port lenses – replaced the white round rod holders- Im using Philips 66 aviation hydraulic fluid for the steering fluid its only $5.95 a qt and exceeds the required mil spec – I love the Bayshore impeller puller it is so easy to pull an impeller now- went thru all the thru hull ball valves with AeroKroil and Alco grease they work now – installed a 2” 3 way valve at the strainer for fresh water flushing – changed to Hella nav lights. Removed the roof rails countersunk the holes and reset with butyl tape –change the shower pump and float switch- Still a lot more to do but at least we are ready for a test run.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Reviving a 2000 28 TE

Post by Nancy »

Wowwwww!! That is a long list! Good luck on your maiden voyage!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
dabeachman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Galena, MD

Post by dabeachman »

what did you use for the hatch gaskets?
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Which engine,Yanmar or The Beast?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tom Un »

The boat has a Yanmar 6LP - STE - I will post the latest additions soon. The deck hatch seals were actually seals for the hatch lifts. I have done a lot since the test run and will post soon.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Tom Un wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:31 am The boat has a Yanmar 6LP - STE - I will post the latest additions soon. The deck hatch seals were actually seals for the hatch lifts. I have done a lot since the test run and will post soon.
Ok Tom, same 6LP as my boat.
Keep it coming, you do a lot of good stuff.

(Maybe I should adopt you, work on my boat for free.. :mrgreen: )
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tom Un »

Part 2
The electronics are original ,I couldn’t even read them so I replaced with a Simrad NSS Evo3 12” screen, 4G radar, AP 44 Auto pilot and a Airmar B175HW transducer. I needed a remote spotlight for hoop netting lobsters around Catalina Island at night so I installed an ACR 75 with remote control. I noticed that bilge water goes all the way up front so I put in a small diaphragm pump with a 3/8 ID hose tied into the shower pump collector. Then put a Starboard bulk head at the battery’s and installed a rule 500 & and another small diaphragm pump tied to a float switch – gets the water down to an 1/8”. Replaced the radio speakers as they were shot and changed the marine radio to an ASI integrated ICOM 506. The anchor light is too tall when on the trailer so I had to get a stainless steel folding swivel so I can lower when trailering. I need to have the boat lower in the front for easier launching so I will have to take it back to ABTrailers for adjustment. The steering hydraulic cylinder leaked so I changed the cylinder to a SeaStar Ba150-7 ATM Cylinder HC5314-3 – its larger. I noticed the fuel tank was shifted to one side by about 2-1/2” inches – the previous owner pulled the motor to change the oil pan and they must have cut the support beams to remove the fuel tank and just put it back in unsupported – so I had to re-glass the support beams, move & bolt the tank in back to the original position. The fuel tank sender was also not adjusted properly so I removed the sender and adjusted the two small brass adjusting screws till empty and full read correctly. I will have to install a water bleed valve from the engine water so when trailering the turbo doesn’t get wet from sloshing. I made and installed a tow eye out of 1/4” X 2” X 10” SS flat stock welded to ½”x2” SS with a ¾” hole – put ¼” x 2” x 10” backing plates on the inside ,polished looks and works good – (made it to look like Toweye.com’s). Took the old carpet out and had the flooring made from Chilewich , looks nice. Put an anchor LED rode light so when I’m pulling line in the early morning dark hours I can see what I’m doing – The bait died so fast and the tank over flowed so I caulked the upper unsealed areas, removed the silly aerator and plumbed it down to the bottom of the tank, we will see if this works also ordered a small LED light for the inside of the bait tank we will see if this works before I convert to a storage area. Heading out to Catalina with my daughter for some lobster hoop netting peace and quiet this weekend. I’m sure I will get another to do list going soon.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Holy crap, you are Superman! You must work on the boat full time.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Great. Sounds like a lot of progress. Was the boat neglected when you got her?

I also shipped a boat from the east to LA.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tom Un »

Defiantly Im totality going thru the boat. I fish about 100 miles off shore so I will make sure all is in good standing. I just tested the boat in about 8 ft seas. I love this boat. Im adding a bladder tank soon for the extra range. I will most likely remove the fridge and have a cabinet vender install more storage cabinets.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Tom Un wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:10 pm Part 2
The electronics are original ,I couldn’t even read them so I replaced with a Simrad NSS Evo3 12” screen, 4G radar, AP 44 Auto pilot and a Airmar B175HW transducer. I needed a remote spotlight for hoop netting lobsters around Catalina Island at night so I installed an ACR 75 with remote control. I noticed that bilge water goes all the way up front so I put in a small diaphragm pump with a 3/8 ID hose tied into the shower pump collector. Then put a Starboard bulk head at the battery’s and installed a rule 500 & and another small diaphragm pump tied to a float switch – gets the water down to an 1/8”. Replaced the radio speakers as they were shot and changed the marine radio to an ASI integrated ICOM 506. The anchor light is too tall when on the trailer so I had to get a stainless steel folding swivel so I can lower when trailering. I need to have the boat lower in the front for easier launching so I will have to take it back to ABTrailers for adjustment. The steering hydraulic cylinder leaked so I changed the cylinder to a SeaStar Ba150-7 ATM Cylinder HC5314-3 – its larger. I noticed the fuel tank was shifted to one side by about 2-1/2” inches – the previous owner pulled the motor to change the oil pan and they must have cut the support beams to remove the fuel tank and just put it back in unsupported – so I had to re-glass the support beams, move & bolt the tank in back to the original position. The fuel tank sender was also not adjusted properly so I removed the sender and adjusted the two small brass adjusting screws till empty and full read correctly. I will have to install a water bleed valve from the engine water so when trailering the turbo doesn’t get wet from sloshing. I made and installed a tow eye out of 1/4” X 2” X 10” SS flat stock welded to ½”x2” SS with a ¾” hole – put ¼” x 2” x 10” backing plates on the inside ,polished looks and works good – (made it to look like Toweye.com’s). Took the old carpet out and had the flooring made from Chilewich , looks nice. Put an anchor LED rode light so when I’m pulling line in the early morning dark hours I can see what I’m doing – The bait died so fast and the tank over flowed so I caulked the upper unsealed areas, removed the silly aerator and plumbed it down to the bottom of the tank, we will see if this works also ordered a small LED light for the inside of the bait tank we will see if this works before I convert to a storage area. Heading out to Catalina with my daughter for some lobster hoop netting peace and quiet this weekend. I’m sure I will get another to do list going soon.
You will kill all fin bait in the built in tank as I tried many changes to correct the issue. The tapered corners cause the bait to nose in and die. I added a Kodiak 32 that comes on and off easily. Hope to see you in Avalon.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Tom Un wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 am Defiantly Im totality going thru the boat. I fish about 100 miles off shore so I will make sure all is in good standing. I just tested the boat in about 8 ft seas. I love this boat. Im adding a bladder tank soon for the extra range. I will most likely remove the fridge and have a cabinet vender install more storage cabinets.
What speed did you do in 8 feet Seas and what was the time period between the waves?
I did 3-4 feet the other day but with only 4 seconds it was too choppy to do anything, had to slow down.
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tom Un »

6 second intervals - speed was around 7-8 kts - some of the swells were steep (many breaking at the crest) so I had to approach them at an angle - after about 5-6 miles of about 8 ft swells they went down to about 5-7 ft and I pick up the speed a little about 9-10 kts.
Im in no hurry when its rough. Im going to play with the bait tank a little longer before I give up - the corners on mine are radiused- I will have to change the 1/2" inlet port to at least 3/4" and upgrade the pump. I currently have no swimplate form and have way too many project that are of a higher priority before I build one so the bait tank change is down the road
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tom Un »

Sorry about the spelling I sent before I check it.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Tom Un wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:39 am Sorry about the spelling I sent before I check it.
I kind of liked the misspellings: "Defiantly Im totality going thru the boat." !! There was no doubt about your enthusiasm! :D
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”