• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE spider cracks

Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Dana Point, CA

28TE spider cracks

Post by Expoguy »

Looking at a few different boats and had some concerns about spider cracks. Anybody have any issues in any specific areas ?
IMG_20181207_083050596.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: 28TE spider cracks

Post by catalina_mike »

Those look pretty bad to me. Mine had just a few and I thought it might have been from transit where a strap was placed but am not sure. Spider cracks in just the gelcoat are pretty minor most times but as my Yacht sales guy tells me they can reappear. I had a new Carver that had some at a stress point and they took care of it under warranty so they do happen without being caused by hitting something.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Expoguy »

Mike,

Did you buy your boat out of state and have it shipped ? I am looking for reputable shipping company maybe in the Florida area. We have a offer going in on a boat after Christmas but she needs a restoration.

Guy
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Guy,
Got mine in Alameda and used OC Boatmovers. Shane as I remember. He has a great adjustable hydraulic trailer but it was at Sunset Aquatics when they closed the bridge for structural issues and stuck his trailer there. So we made another one work with wooden wedges etc... I'm not sure if he goes to Florida. Great people. You can fish with me... new electronics in my office.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year heading to the island for New Years party Thursday.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Expoguy »

Mike,

Enjoy the island, Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you. I will check OC Boat movers to get some information. Thanks for invitation to fishing and we will get together next year I am sure.

Guy
Tom Cunningham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Diego-Mulege

Post by Tom Cunningham »

Hi Guy. I've used "Flynn Marine Transport" twice to bring an Albin and a Compton from Florida to San Diego. Very happy and would recommend again.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

Gelcoat is made of polyester resin combined with various additives that add color, UV protection, gloss and to improve viscosity or thixotropic properties. These additives are often powders which, aside from their intended purposes usually make the gelcoat more brittle. Laminated fiberglass is more flexible than gelcoat, so spider cracks often occur where the underlying laminate flexes beyond the elastic limit of the gelcoat. Gelcoat is also prone to cracking if it is applied too thickly. It is difficult for the gelcoat applicator to maintain optimum thickness (about 20 mils) when spraying complicated parts like decks because of overlapping spray patterns. This is why you see spider crack on decks, especially around the cockpit and hatches and not so much on broad flat areas like hulls. Also, since heavily filled gelcoats have a different coefficient of thermal expansion (usually lower) than the substrate, cracks can develop when a part is subjected to intense heat and expands more than the gelcoat can handle. Lastly, using too much initiator (catalyst) can cause the gelcoat to shrink more than usual. When it's cold, gelcoat applicators often add a little extra catalyst to make sure the resin cures. Of course none of these issues are apparent when the boat leaves the factory, the boat always looks great. It takes time for the cracks to appear.

Last year I had my 28TE delivered from Deltaville, VA to Huntington Beach, CA by Ray Trent. He's moved several A28's and has a trailer designed specifically for this boat. He did a great job at a reasonable price.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Ben423 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:28 am Gelcoat is made of polyester resin combined with various additives ...
Hi Ben!

You seem fairly informed/knowledgable on the issue of gelcoat and spider cracks - do you have a recommended repair method? Our 35, which is now 12 years old, has them in many of the areas you mention and, while they're not particularly bad, I'd like to clean them up. Any help you (or any other AOG member) can provide would be appreciated!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

The best way to do a quality gelcoat repair is to spend a few years doing it. You'll make a lot of mistakes and have lots of color mismatches at first, but eventually you'll become an expert at it, and you'll be able to charge $50/hour to do it for other people. Or you can find a guy who's already put in the time and effort and made all the mistakes before. He'll have all the necessary tools and a good eye for color matching. You'll have to pay, but the job will be done.

Seriously, I recommend having a good gelcoat repair guy do the job. You can usually find someone like that at reputable boatyards.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Thanks Ben - I was kinda thinking that would be the answer! :)

Happy New Year!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

In Dana Point it’s Oscar and you have to wait.😎
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

catalina_mike wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:58 pm In Dana Point it’s Oscar and you have to wait.😎
Yup, I think that applies to all fiberglass guys, if you don't have to wait go find a different guy. Some of the guys around here that are really good are known to hide..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Expoguy »

Tom Cunningham wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:27 pm Hi Guy. I've used "Flynn Marine Transport" twice to bring an Albin and a Compton from Florida to San Diego. Very happy and would recommend again.
Tom,

Thanks for the information. What did the shipping cost from Florida ?
Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Expoguy »

Ben423 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:28 am Gelcoat is made of polyester resin combined with various additives that add color, UV protection, gloss and to improve viscosity or thixotropic properties. These additives are often powders which, aside from their intended purposes usually make the gelcoat more brittle. Laminated fiberglass is more flexible than gelcoat, so spider cracks often occur where the underlying laminate flexes beyond the elastic limit of the gelcoat. Gelcoat is also prone to cracking if it is applied too thickly. It is difficult for the gelcoat applicator to maintain optimum thickness (about 20 mils) when spraying complicated parts like decks because of overlapping spray patterns. This is why you see spider crack on decks, especially around the cockpit and hatches and not so much on broad flat areas like hulls. Also, since heavily filled gelcoats have a different coefficient of thermal expansion (usually lower) than the substrate, cracks can develop when a part is subjected to intense heat and expands more than the gelcoat can handle. Lastly, using too much initiator (catalyst) can cause the gelcoat to shrink more than usual. When it's cold, gelcoat applicators often add a little extra catalyst to make sure the resin cures. Of course none of these issues are apparent when the boat leaves the factory, the boat always looks great. It takes time for the cracks to appear.

Last year I had my 28TE delivered from Deltaville, VA to Huntington Beach, CA by Ray Trent. He's moved several A28's and has a trailer designed specifically for this boat. He did a great job at a reasonable price.
Thank you for the detailed information and the shipping contact.

Guy
Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Expoguy »

RobS wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:31 pm
catalina_mike wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:58 pm In Dana Point it’s Oscar and you have to wait.😎
Yup, I think that applies to all fiberglass guys, if you don't have to wait go find a different guy. Some of the guys around here that are really good are known to hide..
Rob,

How do you like your Chris Craft ? I owned a 1979 Chris for ten years and really miss it. I am now looking for a new boat and like the Albin 28&31TE.

Guy

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”