• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Soft Spot (delamination)

Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Dana Point, CA

Soft Spot (delamination)

Post by Expoguy »

Soft spot (delamination)

Looking at a 2007 28TE that's has a area about 6" x 4" on bottom of hull. One boat yard says drill 3/4 hole and inspect material. If no water in core or void fill with resin , patch and paint. The other yard says cut the whole area open inspect, repair and replace. Any opinions ?
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Soft Spot (delamination)

Post by Norseman »

Is it close to a through hull or transducer?
Or a patch from previous damage?

I had a 28TE surveyed here in Fort Lauderdale before I bought my boat, an area of delamination was found on the bottom.
I declined the boat but a few weeks later I saw it at Cable Marine Boatyard being repaired in the same area. I talked to the yard worker doing the job and she said it would be as good as new when she was done: She had it cut open, removed the balsa core, fitted new core and fiberglassing was next.
Not sure if the cost, but the surveyor should know.
(Not sure if I still have a copy of the survey from 2015, will check my hard drive)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Dana Point, CA

Re: Soft Spot (delamination)

Post by Expoguy »

Norseman wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:52 pm Is it close to a through hull or transducer?
Or a patch from previous damage?

I had a 28TE surveyed here in Fort Lauderdale before I bought my boat, an area of delamination was found on the bottom.
I declined the boat but a few weeks later I saw it at Cable Marine Boatyard being repaired in the same area. I talked to the yard worker doing the job and she said it would be as good as new when she was done: She had it cut open, removed the balsa core, fitted new core and fiberglassing was next.
Not sure if the cost, but the surveyor should know.
(Not sure if I still have a copy of the survey from 2015, will check my hard drive)
Thank you for this information and I have a few estimates and ideas. It would first start by drilling and getting a core sample to see what is going on. If no issue with the core that would inject resin, patch and paint. This boat is a 2007 and has a foam core.

Guy

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”