• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 6LP vs Volvo D6 ?

Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Dana Point, CA

Yanmar 6LP vs Volvo D6 ?

Post by Expoguy »

Heard good things about Yanmar but don't know anything about the Volvo D6. Opinions ?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Yanmar 6LP vs Volvo D6 ?

Post by DougSea »

We have twin D6-370s. We had pretty significant issues with the starboard engine which I attribute to a lack of use/maintenance by the original owner.

Assuming the engine has been properly cared for - I love the Volvos. Starts up right away with minimal smoke, Electronically controlled so idle is spot on at 600RPM and you cannot over rev the engine. Thermal control is amazing - they warm to 185F and then just sit there for hours at a time regardless of load. Great low end power - it's fun feeling a boat this size get out of the hole and just go. I smile all the time! Depending on the instrument package on the boat you'll get fuel burn rate and total right on your dash with no additional sensors. And EVERYTHING is monitored. Oil level, temp, pressure, engine temp, coolant level, water in fuel sensor - the whole 9 yards. Newer (I think 2007 on) EVC-C engines will integrate with Raymarine controls as well with a pretty inexpensive interface module. (Figures that I have EVC-Bs. Oh well)

Do you have a good Volvo mechanic nearby? That's the potential downside. With the electronic control system you'll need someone with the VERY proprietary Volvo diagnostic tools. Fortunately for us I've got someone nearby who's very good.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 pm Do you have a good Volvo mechanic nearby?
IMO, that is the big question. What do you have for local support. And judge each engine (regardless of it's color - gray, green, white or yellow) on it's known history and physical condition and how well it installs in a specific engine room. Both engines you mention were world class engines when they left the factory... it's "death by owner" that does them all in.
Last edited by RobS on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Of the D range engines, the 6 is the one to go for

D3 is 190 and is a 5 cylinder engine IIRC but suffers with head gasket issues

D4, good engine but earlier ones had real problems with heads cracking

D6, they absolutely nailed it - the latest one is 420bhp and is an animal of an engine.

Obviously all of the above are different engines in every way but all really for the leisure market - in my opinion the D6 is the one to have, even better if its the lower BHP version.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Expoguy »

RobS wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:24 am
DougSea wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 pm Do you have a good Volvo mechanic nearby?
IMO, that is the big question. What do you have for local support. And judge each engine (regardless of it's color - gray, green, white or yellow) on it's known history and physical condition and how well it installs in a specific engine room. Both engines you mention were world class engines when they left the factory... it's "death by owner" that does them all in.
Rob,

I worked for Detroit Diesel when I was young and have good people for those but everything else is up in the air. I am sure being in SO Cal and close to Newport there is a few Volvo certified mechanics. Thanks for the reply !

Guy
Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Expoguy »

Tree wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:46 am Of the D range engines, the 6 is the one to go for

D6, they absolutely nailed it - the latest one is 420bhp and is an animal of an engine.

Obviously all of the above are different engines in every way but all really for the leisure market - in my opinion the D6 is the one to have, even better if its the lower BHP version.
Thanks for the info !

Guy
Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Expoguy »

DougSea wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 pm We have twin D6-370s. We had pretty significant issues with the starboard engine which I attribute to a lack of use/maintenance by the original owner.

Assuming the engine has been properly cared for - I love the Volvos. Starts up right away with minimal smoke, Electronically controlled so idle is spot on at 600RPM and you cannot over rev the engine. Thermal control is amazing - they warm to 185F and then just sit there for hours at a time regardless of load. Great low end power - it's fun feeling a boat this size get out of the hole and just go. I smile all the time! Depending on the instrument package on the boat you'll get fuel burn rate and total right on your dash with no additional sensors. And EVERYTHING is monitored. Oil level, temp, pressure, engine temp, coolant level, water in fuel sensor - the whole 9 yards. Newer (I think 2007 on) EVC-C engines will integrate with Raymarine controls as well with a pretty inexpensive interface module. (Figures that I have EVC-Bs. Oh well)

Do you have a good Volvo mechanic nearby? That's the potential downside. With the electronic control system you'll need someone with the VERY proprietary Volvo diagnostic tools. Fortunately for us I've got someone nearby who's very good.
Doug,

Thanks for the post and it sounds like the D6 is a great motor if taken care of.

Guy
Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Expoguy »

Tree wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:46 am Of the D range engines, the 6 is the one to go for

I am looking at a 2006 D4-210 DPH and was wondering what your opinion is ?? This is a complete drive package (w/outdrives)from Volvo. I have heard about issues with electronic controls and complaints about parts and service cost. I have decided not to go with the 28TE as it's a bit to small. Really hope to get a 31TE when we get a bigger slip.

Guy

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”