• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Air Conditioner

pbramble
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Grays Inn Creek, MD

Air Conditioner

Post by pbramble »

All, I purchased a '94 28 TE Engine Box this winter as a family weekend cruiser, and I'm curious if there are any recent installs or advice on getting AC installed. I've searched the forum, and seen posts from a few years back, just wonder if since the last posts, any lessons learned, advice, etc.

Thanks!
Paul Bramble
1994 28 TE, Engine Box
"The Village Flirt"
Grays Inn Creek, MD
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Air Conditioner

Post by RobS »

A search for "air conditioning" gets 200 matched posts with 51 being in the 28TE category. I'd start there and then come back with specific questions.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Paul,

As Rob mentions there is a LOT of discussion here about A/C, especially installs in a 28. Since the tech hasn't really changed I don't think you'll find much "new" advice. Do you have any specific areas of concern? Here are a few things to think about:

- Do you have a generator or is this dockside only?
- Do you want to just cool the cabin/head? Or the helm as well?
- The answer to the above will help determine size. Too much is bad!
- Do you have a lot of "critters" in your water? (Shrimp, etc) They can clog the raw water filter so a permanent back-flush can be a big help

Ask away with any questions.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
pbramble
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Grays Inn Creek, MD

Post by pbramble »

I did look through the posts, just hadn't seen anything recent, more specifically, if the most recent installs where satisfactory after some time had passed.

The air on my boat would be powered by shore power, and I would just cool the cabin/head. Not a lot of critters, but it would make sense to install the back-flush regardless

thanks!
Paul Bramble
1994 28 TE, Engine Box
"The Village Flirt"
Grays Inn Creek, MD
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

When I installed the 9K Webasto on T-R back in 2010 I did it in unison with another 28TE owner, Matt on Doghouse. We worked together on both boats. I sold mine in 2014, never once an issue with the unit or any part of the system or the install. He still has his 28TE and I am still close with him and we boat together a lot. His A/C looks and performs as good as the day we installed it. If we had to do it all over we agree that the 6K unit would have been fine.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”