• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thinking about purchasing an older 31te - thoughts?

tberti001
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Southern Md

Thinking about purchasing an older 31te - thoughts?

Post by tberti001 »

Hello Albiners,

I have only been a member of this forum for a short period but don't own an Albin yet. I've been looking at Albin 28's and 31's for a while and come across a 1996 31te with twin Cummins 250's with 1700 hrs.. It appears the previous owner tried to care for it given some of the recent upgrades but the vessel is still over 20 years old. Sea trial was all good and the WOT RPM's were good. Top speed 26/27 mph..

I'm at a position where I need to decide one-way or another but seem to have a concern with the age of the boat ... I guess what I'm asking here from the Albin owners are what concerns should I have? Engine/transmission issues, fuel tanks, maintenance nightmares , etc etc.... Do the Cummins 250's have fresh or raw water cooled after coolers?

I am very handy but don't what the boat to consume my time too much... On the other hand i do like Albins :)

Thanks in advance for your insight

Cheers
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by tberti001 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Thinking about purchasing an older 31te - thoughts?

Post by DougSea »

Without seeing the particular boat I can't comment on it directly. That said - if a boat, especially a well built boat like an Albin, has been cared for - I'd have no hesitation in buying it. And of course the price is usually impacted by the age so you're getting a lot of boat for the money!

The ONLY thing I'd be really cautious of is the hull. And this is a relative thing so don't freak out! :) An Albin of that vintage is balsa cored. There is NOTHING wrong with this, but it does mean that your survey should spend plenty of time inspecting all thru hull fittings. Especially any that were added later, like transducers. Done properly (bored out, filled with epoxy and then drilled for the fitting) these points should never leak into the core.

Beyond that a survey should give you a great view of the overall "health" of the systems. And a boat like a 31 is nothing but a good foundation (hull) with a lot of add on systems. So find a good surveyor and let them do their thing.

To your specific questions - RobS will almost certainly chime in on the engines! Your fuel and water tanks will be aluminum. Not a problem for fuel. On the water side if anyone has put bleach in the tanks (common practice) the bleach will have reacted with the tank walls. So if you find little white granules in the fresh water system - that's what that is. The solution? Don't use bleach! (I use a commercial kitchen disinfectant to keep the water fresh and I use a carbon water filter when filling my tanks. A lot of city water has chlorine added)

Maintenance nightmares? I've had a 1997 28 and now a 2006 35. Nothing pops into my head. You'll probably find some kind of weird thingamabob that some prior owner did, but that again is a survey question. The engine hours seem a bit low, but not crazy low. Again I'll poke Rob to comment.

At the end of the day - if she was reasonably well cared for - you should be fine!

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
tberti001
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by tberti001 »

Thanks for the detailed response Doug... I did have the boat surveyed and no problems with the hull were discovered...The engine oil analysis looked ok.. a tiny bit high on iron within the port side but within the acceptable range.

I'll look forward to other responses and Rob's.

Tom
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Need a CPL number or better yet serial numbers. Have any pictures to post? Send me the survey if you wish: rob at sbmar.com
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Makai
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bristol RI

Post by Makai »

Tom
I agree with everything being said, I just purchased a 2002 31TE last year. We knew going into it that the previous owner did very little in the way of upkeep on cosmetic things, engine received basic maintenance. Survey came back with no issues that were not visible, I won’t even try to list everything we have done over the past year, all issues were known and accounted for before buying.This is my first Albin and we are very happy with the boat, I did have some great guidance as I am friends with Ken at Standish Boat yard who was one of the original Albin dealers. I would not hesitate to buy it if the survey came back clean on the hull and engines, everything else is easily updated. If you have questions on updating costs or need any more info feel free to reach out. Good luck, it’s a great model boat.

Doug
tberti001
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by tberti001 »

I added some photos including one of the two engine plates... Sorry but the serial number is cut off. The previous owner of 5 years had a bow thruster, new Garmin , batteries, flowscans and battery charger installed....

Tom
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

To answer your specific question - the aftercoolers are what is know as JWAC - jacket water, which is coolant cooled, not seawater cooled (SWAC). That is good. There was also a 250hp version of the 6BTA which was a SWAC engine de-rated from 300hp down to 250 and that is why I did not want to comment without seeing the engine.

I have to run out early today but two quick observations;

These engine do not like to be over-propped and you mentioned that top speed is 26/27mph which is the photo you took of the helm. That photo shows +/- 2,400rpm. Was that WOT? If so, she is grossly overpropped. That engine needs to turn 2,700-,2,750 for proper loading and engine life.

Secondly, that wet riser was a nice fit but it is seawater jacketed and from the day it was fed it's first ounce of seawater it started rotting out internally. It will fail internally and then the seawater will be draining back into the turbo/exhaust manifold/ cylinder..... It should be replaced with a dry riser. Goto www.sbmar.com and search "doomed to fail"

A solid engine but apples to oranges when compared to the later model mechanical B’s with the upgraded sea water plumbing and the Bosch P pump.

Are you a do-it-yourself or will you be hiring out for maintenance, upgrades and repairs. That is what I call a bloody knuckle engine room. Workable, just tight..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

tberti001
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by tberti001 »

WOT on both engines were at 2601 & 2612...

I am most definitely a DIYer... I'll look into the dry riser upgrade that you suggested.

The observations of the boat via the surveyor and me was that there was a lot of visible repairs that was required as Doug pointed out on his boat. The windless didn't respond to the switch toggle, AC unit worked on both heat and cool but shutdown with high pressure alert (no water circulation across condenser) and finally the generator did turn over. I suspect the battery was dead as it has not been used in a few years per the owner. A bunch of other smaller things

Again, thanks for everyone's responses.
Tom
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

A/C pumps can be notoriously finicky in their failure to self prime, so that, or a bad pump, are the likely culprits there. I’d actually guess it’s just a failure to prime since I’m assuming the boat was just launched after the on shore inspection.
Doug
Sonny IV
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

tberti001 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 am I am most definitely a DIYer...
Excellent.

Unless the boat has been freshwater flushed religiously or the riser(s) are very new I would almost bet that they are leaking already. If you move forward with this boat the risers should be done ASAP as well as verifying the RPM's and correcting the prop load. Upon removal of the risers, hopefully the turbos are found to be okay.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

tberti001
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by tberti001 »

Everyone gave be a ton of good points.. I'm will likely be an Albin 31te Owner ... Nothing ventured nothing gained.. I'll provide some details later.

Cheers
Tom
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

That’s awesome Tom! Good luck! The 31 TE is a spectacular boat and will serve you well!
Doug
Sonny IV
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

I have the exact same 6BT with JWAC. I turn a bit more than 2,600 RPM which I think is OK given that this is the rated amount on the spec plate? No complaints on the engine. My boat had a lot of deferred maintenance so I spent time and money going through the whole thing, including a rear main seal. Turbo was seized when I got it but it broke free and spools up like a champ.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”