• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1998 28 te getting ready

LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Merrick, NY

1998 28 te getting ready

Post by LISal »

I have been working on the boat non stop for the past week and a half. I am putting a new 12 inch screen, auto pilot and a ais transponder receiver. I have also been doing alot of maintenance. Cleaned all the bilges and am painting the ones that needed it. I have also done a couple of repairs on the transom where old transducers where installed and removing some unwanted ones. I personally don't like anything screwed into my transom that isn't 100 percent needed. The sanding is almost over lol I have sanded down the old bottom paint about 5 old coats of black and maybe 10 old coats of red. I needed to see the bare hull so i can determine if there any any repairs that need to be addressed. I am glad i did because i did find one spot that required my attention. This boat has been loved and taken care of but still has a lot that needed to be done she is 20 years old. I have sanded down all the hatches so they are flush and won't shift when walking across them.. I have removed all old silicone from cockpit and plan to reseal. I have removed my fair share of silicone and some grab much better than others making them harder to remove. I have to go speak with my local marine shop to see what the best silicone is. I am also thinking the quality of the adhesion may have to due to the temperature it was applied at. I am also installing 4 led lights on radar arch two dura bright minis facing bow and 2 led spreaders facing aft one starboard and one port. I fish offshore at night and when you have a big fish on or an emergency there is no substitute for good light.. I am also installing some accent lighting and i spent almost 400 bucks on a 6000 lumen underwater light lumitech seablaze x2 green for squid and does all colors for any other occasion. All i need now is for the weather to corporate get a little warmer and stop raining so I can finish my projects. I have some products that I need to use that will not work properly till we are in the 50s. I am going to post a bunch of pics from these projects when i have some time. I have also cleaned all wire harnesses and treated them with anti corrosive spray. I mounted the aft bilge pump it was broken off the mounting bracket. Cleaned all rust of engine mounts with wire brush and treated with anti corrosive spray. Removed steering ram and am having seals replaced as it was slightly leaking. Removed rust from engine and all components with wire brush treated all surfaces with anti corrosive spray and will paint components that require paint. I don't want to paint bilge or anything else till remove cover for proper ventilation. Moved some wires on bilge sense they were rubbing on swim platform bolts and was matter of time that they got cut into. Cleaned and reset all swim platform bolts. I had tossed the idea around of removing swim platform but decided the square footage is needed.. Backed out every screw on transom inspected and resealed. While sanding the transom i found my biggest surprise. Someone had left screws in transom and decided to just send them home and then go over them with a bondo type material it was red.. I chipped the bondo away and found the screws lol. I backed out the screws cleaned the holes and properly started to repaired them. I have a new product, It may not be new but i had never seen it. Its a marine glue and void filler. It has some structural properties and is sandable. I was going to cut out the area and re-glass but after having it inspected by a professional we decided that would just be overkill and unneeded work. The holes are small enough to just fill and the balsa core is still structurally sound so now just get warm enough.
I am sure i am forgetting some stuff but you get the idea, a lot of work lol. I need the rain to stop but will take advantage of the wet day to work inside and run some wires up to the radar arch for the new lights and new antenna for the ais. I know i can use a splitter and one antenna but have been told by local electronics pro that i should dedicate an antenna just for the ais? does anyone have insight on this prior to me running the lines? I am looking for best reception without boosting so this may be why he recommended the second antenna. I have also cleaned every wire of mold and traced every wire to ensure good connections and learn my boat. I like doing this and did it on my first boat and now can say i have done it on every vessel i have owned lol all2 of them. I like to trace clean and ensure all connections are secure. On my first boat i found a lot of loose connections that had failed or where about to fail. I only have found 1 on this boat. That says alot for the quality of workmanship.. I may have to add some length to a couple of wires that are stretched a bit more than i like. I like 90 degree angles on my wires and getting them tucked together and in a braced, clipped or just zip tied but not just laid out and loose. The tighter I buttoned the wires up the less chance of them getting ripped out by something that is loose in the bilge. I don't know how many of you guys go out when it's a bit nautical but the ocean will test your vessel and every part of it. I believe a lot of the vessels lost in rough seas have to do with electronic failure. If your systems start to fail it's a matter of time before the vessel fails. I also am careful to move any wire that could get ripped out by human error. That is any wire near systems that we need to access during operation. I try to make it as safe as possible and feel when wires are just draped around the boat as i have seen on so many vessels its just a recipe for disaster.
I am excited to splash next week if weather permits. I will be posting pics of these projects when I have some time and am using another comp, currently i am on a chrome book and don't have any pics on it.
I have found a cushion at west marine that bends into a chair. I have to take measurements but it looks like a perfect fit for the engine box and wold be nice to be able to fold up the cushion into a seat. I have seen some people have made the engine box into a seat like this but if this one fit for 100 bucks i don't think you can find a cheaper alternative..
I still have to address my bait tank but that might happen at the marina sense i am trying to get my boat out of the previous owners backyard. They have been great to open their home to me giving my full access to garage and backyard. For you that know the prior owner he is not doing well and on hospice. I am trying to finish asap for this reason. If anyone wants me to send a message for them I am sure max would love to hear from you. He is still funny and sarcastic and always in great spirit anytime we speak.. What a soldier!!!!
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: 1998 28 te getting ready

Post by Norseman »

If the radio has built in IAS, only 1 antenna needed.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Fond best wishes to Max. I wish him peace and comfort on this journey.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

Post by Tom Un »

Sounds like a fun project. Let me know where you are installing the lumitech seablaze lights as I too plan on doing that as well. I ordered an AIS type B transceiver and will know more about it once I get it. Good luck and Im sure the previous owner would be happy to see what you are doing to the boat, wishing my warm hearted thoughts to Max.

Tom
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Norseman wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:45 am If the radio has built in IAS, only 1 antenna needed.
He's looking to receive and transmit. But yes with the proper AIS capable splitter no 2nd VHf antenna should be required.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

RobS wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:20 am
Norseman wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:45 am If the radio has built in IAS, only 1 antenna needed.
He's looking to receive and transmit. But yes with the proper AIS capable splitter no 2nd VHf antenna should be required.
Aha, I was thinking AIS receiver only... :!:
LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LISal »

The AIS i am using is a Raymarine AIS650 class b transceiver. I can put another antena if i want but currently have TV satellite antenna and would have to re mount elsewhere. Does anyone have preference on silicone types? I am re caulking the entire pilot house at the moment and trying to decide if 4200 is the best choice? I will be sure to clean to lightly scuff with some 1000 grit and clean with acetone to ensure good adhesion. I need tan silicone for some spots and am not finding it in many brands.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Have you considered butyl tape for rebedding? I read it is all the rage, but have not used it yet. Previously I have used Sikaflex 291 under grabrails and various fittings, but my skill level requires I mask everywhere I don't want the caulk. Butyl tape eliminates all that, allegedly.

Note that butyl tape is subject to deterioration if exposed to stuff like fuel. Don't use it around tank fills.

I see you are looking more for a joint/gap filler. Pardon my diversion.
LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LISal »

I haven't posted in a while because i am working non stop running 2 boats this year. I have took on more jobs than expected but that's the norm when you sand down the entire vessel. I am down to the end game now that weather is cooperating..
Larry cessna
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rock Hall MD

Post by Larry cessna »

Where did you put the pump for the auto pilot. I am getting ready to install one and am looking for a good spot for the pump.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

I put mine almost directly under the helm on that bulkhead, just starboard of the centerline.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Sisu22 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:39 pm I put mine almost directly under the helm on that bulkhead, just starboard of the centerline.
That is where mine is as well, but dealer installed when the boat was new.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”