• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dink Davits for a 28TE..?

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Dink Davits for a 28TE..?

Post by Norseman »

The Admiral demanded we get davits for the rubber dink.
Now that my hide is on the line, what is a good sturdy davit for
an Albin 28TE? (2001 model, engine box)
Have seen previous threads, and done a search on the Forum, lots of information, 339 hits, a bit too much perhaps, this thread is a refresher for recent info:
St. Croix davits are good, they fold when not in use?
Don’t want to add length and feet to the boat: more expensive in marinas and clunky when docking in tight spaces, but those fixed SS davits are sure sexy..
Dink is 64 lbs, motor 41 lbs, probably need a 150-175 lbs Rating. Light stuff, but want sturdy davits,
Either mounted to the transom, or on the swim platform, not sure yet, need strong and sturdy.
The Admiral needs
to be happy and if she is, the sun will shine on the Captain. 😎
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Re: Dink Davits for a 28TE..?

Post by Capt Brad »

Let me know what you end up with. Might be interested down the road when I get money ahead.
Capt Brad
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Capt Brad wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:34 am Let me know what you end up with. Might be interested down the road when I get money ahead.
Yeah, will keep updating the thread, got some leads on the Albin 28TH FB groups.
Been fairly busy getting ready for a 4 day cruise to the Florida Keys tomorrow, need to eat good, drink good and test the new solar panel: :mrgreen:
Will have to call manufacturers and dealers when I get back, then make a decision. Don’t trust just anybody to start drilling holes in my baby, probably should do the install myself, but an experienced installer would be great. (Need access to the inside of the transom, behind the fish boxes, are they glued in or glassed in?)
grege
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by grege »

Installed davits from Kato Marine about a year ago. Very pleased with the davits and the support from Kato. Installation was surprisingly easy. I have pictures of the installation, just can't figure out how to post them. Kato also has pictures. With the dingy on the davits it does add weight to the stern, but less noticeable than I had thought.
grege
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by grege »

A few of the pictures from my davit installation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
grege
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by grege »

A few more pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

grege wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:18 pm Installed davits from Kato Marine about a year ago. Very pleased with the davits and the support from Kato. Installation was surprisingly easy. I have pictures of the installation, just can't figure out how to post them. Kato also has pictures. With the dingy on the davits it does add weight to the stern, but less noticeable than I had thought.
Great thx.
Will look to Kato Marine and would love pictures of the installation.
Use this e ma!l: bigdagus—At— Yahoo.co..
Thx again.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Met with Greg and Donna yesterday and checked out their Kato Davits:
Great davits and the way to go, but my Port stern rod holder is in the wrong place, blocking access to the Port coaming bracket... :shock:
034ED3D4-495D-4650-9874-1C8A9B36C514.jpeg
Kimotee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mattapoisett MA

Post by Kimotee »

Hi Folks

Picking up from your year old thread. What other options have you looked at Capt Brad? We were considering the entire Weaver system on our new to us 28TE Newport Edition, but backed off as we couldn't find anyone local who knew how to do the whole install. Brad, you are just around the corner from us, Mattapoisett documented but Kinship is berthed in Fairhaven.
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, FL

Post by Bluewater »

Grege - looks good. How does it work at night with respect to the stern light? I seem to spend a lot of time wandering around in the dark (in so many ways!) and have to tow the dinghy at those times to reveal the stern light........
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Ex Albin 28TE 1994 Peninsular 300
Ex Albin 43 (Lehman) and many sailboats
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I'm seriously considering the Hurley H2O davit with extension arms so that the RIB can easily be brought upon the swim platform with the outboard motor still attached and very easily deployed with NO/minimal heavy lifting or cumbersome equipment. When not in use and by using their removable base plate the H2O system can easily be stored in a locker or under the deck leaving the swim platform available for it's full uninterrupted use. This system might be a consideration.

https://hurleymarine.com/shop/dinghy-davit-boat/h2o/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
grege
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by grege »

Bluewater - we do not do much night boating with the dink on the davits. When we do we use a portable, battery powered led stern light. Many styles and brands available in most marine stores. Depending on your dink, it could be attached to the dink, or to a davit or davit crossbar. Many options depending on your preference.
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, FL

Post by Bluewater »

Grege - thanks. I have a portable stern light but find it almost impossible to make it stick firmly enough to the dinghy. Maybe the suction cup would work if I had an inflatable....
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Ex Albin 28TE 1994 Peninsular 300
Ex Albin 43 (Lehman) and many sailboats
LovettWest
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Santa Barbara

Post by LovettWest »

Did anyone get Hurley Davits to fit on a 28 where the dingy sits flat? I bought a Hurley Davit (used) and it isn't the correct one and doesn't extend far enough off the swimstep (older version). Curious if anyone got theirs to work properly. Mine the wake hits the dink on plane and tears it right off the swimstep - not good. Love how they look compared to flipped up versions and you get great visibility off the transom with the Hurley.

Thanks.
Patrickgoggin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach

Post by Patrickgoggin »

I have the H20 Hurley davit system on my 28TE. Here are some pictures. Call them and provide the dimensions and they will tell you what you need. I needed the longest arms that they sell to support the width of the dingy.

You also need to tie it down well when underway or it can get moved around by spray and waves.
Patrick

2000 Albin 28 TE “Phantom”
1978 34’ Californian LRC “Spirit” (Prev)

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”