• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Performance Expectations 35TE Single or Twin

lwarden
Mate
Mate
Home Port: San Deigo

Re: Performance Expectations 35TE Single or Twin

Post by lwarden »

One of the must haves for me is a lower helm if I get the Riviera. That limits the field a bit but there still seems to be a few to choose from. Another option is to install a tower on a pilothouse Albin, although I don't think it will enhance the looks... I've seen a tower on a 28 before, but they are kind of rare.
themikehyde
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Colonial Beach VA

Post by themikehyde »

Lwarden,
We are considering going from a 33' Grady tp a 35 TE without fly bridge. Let me know how your search is going. We are on the East Coast.
Mike
lwarden
Mate
Mate

Post by lwarden »

Here is a little update:
The wife and I went to look at a 1999 35TE with twin 370hp Cummins this weekend up north.
The boat is being sold for the owner who has passed away by a couple of his friends. I was told the boat was in "pristine" condition, so was pretty excited to see it. Turns out it was pretty rough and not at all ready for a full sea trial. The boat needs a lot of cosmetic work to get to my level of OCD ownership, but the price they were asking was pretty reasonable, or so we thought....

The good:
  • It's an Albin 35TE
  • It's blue
  • It floats
The bad:
  • All electronics are old and need replacing
  • Boat needs a full new top and enclosure
  • Interior woodwork needs refinishing
  • Lots of corrosion on pumps, electrical connections and other things in the bilge
  • Needs new carpet (doesn't have wood floors)
  • Side windows have corrosion and need re-powder coating and re-bedding
  • Small oil leak around transmission on stbd side.
  • Steering was tight and quite a bit of corrosion on rudder posts/glands
  • Lot's of little thing need sorting out, cleaning, painting or replacing
The sea trial was disappointing. It was pretty cold but they had just started the boat when I arrived (unfortunately I didn't get to hear them start). The engines were smoking pretty good cold, smelled like un-burnt diesel not engine oil. Once they warmed up they were better, but still had a little smoke. They both sounded good, the port had about 1,400 hours and stbd had 1,700 as it was the one with the trolling valve. I asked for maintenance log but they didn't seem to have one or find it.

Anyway, when we had it out the boat was doing about 14-15 knots at about 1,800 rpms and that was where they said the owner typically ran the boat at. I asked to see it run up to WOT and then he put the throttles down. It got to about 2,700 and we were doing about 18.5 knots or so but after 30 seconds a buzzer went off and we saw the stbd engine up at 210F so shut them down quickly. The boat felt heavy and the engines seemed to be working hard. Pretty disappointing, but since the owner passed in October it looks like maintenance has slipped, so it could be as simple as a plugged pickup, strainer, or something in the cooling system which needs cleaning out. Also possible that the bottom and props are fouled. Needless to say I wasn't to happy about the long drive we made to look a the boat....

Now, normally I would just run from this, but there aren't many of these around and if I could get this at an attractive price it might make a fun project to do up as my wife and I like. The main thing I want to make sure of is that the engines are basically sound and there is no water intrusion in the hull. Other than that I can deal with the rest if I can get it at a good price.

One thing that I found strange on this boat was that the bridge layout was different from all the other 35TE's that I've seen. It was setup with the wheel forward and two strange short lounge seats on either side. It was a poor layout and something I would want to change down the road.

Anyway, I need to decide if this is worth pursuing putting an offer on and doing a more through survey.
I'm thinking if I can get this for a low price there would be enough headroom to do all the work and in the end have a good boat.
Should I run? Am I crazy?
Any feedback is welcome.
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

Sounds like a used boat:)

There are two approaches. Find a pristine boat that has been impeccably maintained or a project. Projects are much easier to find. That being said our first Albin, a 28 was purchased fairly new with around 150hrs on the clock but there were plenty of things to do.
Our current 35 was purchased knowing we were getting into more of a project but we have no regrets.

Cosmetics are easily tended to and as long as they aren’t indicative of serious neglect shouldn’t be a concern.

The performance sounds like a dirty bottom/running gear. Even overpropped the speed was quite low for 2700. The cooling system needs to be gone through - pumps, aftercoolers, & exchangers which can add up so this would need to be part of the inspections, purchase/sale.

Smoke cold and at idle isn’t unusual for the 370 but you need a good mechanical inspection by someone familiar with the Cummins regardless so this can be reviewed at the same time.

Electronics are dated quickly these days.
loganmj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by loganmj »

I second everything rcwhite said.

We have had our boat now for 9 months and have now gone thru cooling system, replaced all raw water supply hoses, injectors, and now are onto turbo seals. One is leaking oil internally, but doing both as the second one probably isn't far behind in needing it. Plenty of cosmetic things to do as well but we decided to focus on the mechanical stuff the first year, and gradually settle on a plan for the interior updates, heat, electronics, dinghy, etc. It's a 20 year old used boat, there will never be a shortage of things to do!

I do wish I had a mechanical survey done by someone familiar with Cummins though. That would have been money well spent. Hindsight is always 20/20...
Mike and Shannon
Tonic
2000 Albin 35TE (galley up, no FB)
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370's
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Always be sure to request a "cold start" when going to see a diesel boat. That she sits overnight and putting your hand anywhere on the engine it should be as cold as everything else in the engine room. Ease of cold start is a good indicator of diesel engine health.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
lwarden
Mate
Mate

Post by lwarden »

Thanks for the input guys, all very helpful comments.
I get the project pros and cons, my current Shamrock was pretty rough when I bought it and after 7 years is in near perfect condition. It took a lot of work and that boat is probably 1/4 the complexity of the Albin, so I want to be careful what I take on.

I do think most of the issues with speed and RPM are likely due to fouled running gear and or bottom. In order for any real testing to take place I think the boat would have to be pulled, and that would give a chance to check out the hull anyway.

One thing which we did notice which is seems to be a downside (at least to us) was the engine access. This boat had a carpet and pad over the main salon and below that was fiberglass hatches, not teak and holly sole. So gaining access to the engines was a pain, and the wife didn't care for the seating arrangement and the strange movable table. Is there a better way to setup this area so engine access is easier and are there ways to improve the seating arrangement?

Laurence
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

Engine access on a small twin is never great. I have done injectors, raw water pumps, shaft seals/alignments, alternator work, maintenance, etc without removing the hatches. Not always in the most comfortable position but as long as Ruth was there to hand me tools, not terrible.
Have worked in much tighter spaces.

I have considered some design changes to the port settee and ac install to allow for easy (not accessible currently) removal of the port hatch but it is low on the list as I can do most normal work as things are.

Albin had a couple of flybridge and cabin configurations but as far as I can tell the settee is the same. Anything can be changed with the appropriate budget if you can’t live with it or there is always another boat out there:)
lwarden
Mate
Mate

Post by lwarden »

Glad to hear engine access isn't as bad as it looks. The wife keeps coming back to how much she likes the lines of the Albin, I agree. Another contender that I was turned onto by another member are the Lindell 36 and 39. Not a pretty as an Albin, but they are seriously nice boats from the look of them and well built. Seem to be quite a few around the PNW as well.

First world problems....
loganmj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by loganmj »

Yes, engine access is not good on the outsides of the engines. I started to service the sea water circuit this fall and got the inside heat exchanger and aftercooler out but after wedging my 6' 2" 230 lb carcass between the hull and starboard side of the starboard engine to drain the coolant. With the coolant drained, I decided it was time to hire the rest of the job out! With galley up option, you can't easily remove the hatch like you can for the port engine. My mechanic left the settee in place but just unbolted and slid the floor panel with the table post mounted to it out and that gave him decent access. On our boat there is also a hatch from the lower berth of the bunk room into the engine room which at least makes it a straight shot to the aftercooler on the port engine.

The Lindell boats you refer to are really nice. Great layout and seemed to be quality built. We were in market for a 2 stateroom galley up version but they seem to be pretty rare, all I saw in the year I we were in the market were galley down models.
Mike and Shannon
Tonic
2000 Albin 35TE (galley up, no FB)
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370's
lwarden
Mate
Mate

Post by lwarden »

Just to wrap this thread up.
We did end up purchasing a Lindell 36 in the end. I want to thank everyone for their help and input. It was a fun process researching and looking at these boats.
I still really like the 35TE and if there had been a better example on the West Coast of a FB model we may have pulled the trigger.

Laurence
IMG_3832.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Good for you. Nice looking boat and looks to be real well kept. Twin Yanmar 6LY's ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

lwarden
Mate
Mate

Post by lwarden »

Twin Cummins 370's. The older ones had Yanmars. This one didn't get much use, only 860 hours. Its in pretty good shape.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

lwarden wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:31 pm Twin Cummins 370's. The older ones had Yanmars. This one didn't get much use, only 860 hours. Its in pretty good shape.
Perfect power. She must move along real well. You will love those engines, especially if you are DIY.

Hope to see you here: https://www.sbmar.com/community/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

lwarden
Mate
Mate

Post by lwarden »

I've joined boatdiesel.com and had a good look through Tony's site. I will join at some point.
I am DIY and this was a consideration in getting the Cummins.
She moves along well. Here is a video from the sea trial.

https://youtu.be/FcT0h8xSOZE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”