• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Performance Expectations 35TE Single or Twin

MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Re: Performance Expectations 35TE Single or Twin

Post by MadMoney »

The background on that sea trial sure looks familiar! How did you get the boat down to SD?

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
lwarden
Mate
Mate
Home Port: San Deigo

Post by lwarden »

It’s still in Anacortes. We are using it up there for the summer then hiring a captain and crew to bring it down to Santa Barbara where we will run it the rest of the way home. The original plan was to put it on a ship, but with the border closures we decided to bring it down on its own bottom.
I’m actually at the boat this weekend.
loganmj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by loganmj »

As a late follow up to RobS questions and comments (all right on the money)...
After all the sea water circuits, new injectors, valve lash adj, turbo rebuilds, boat ran more or less the same as it did.
I finally managed to get the boat hauled out this summer for zincs and bottom paint. All that was done, but also had the cutlass bearings replaced and most importantly props were dropped from 4 blade 22x22 to 22x20 with 0.5 cup removed (not sure what it was before), and with ~7/8 fuel, full water, family of 4 with stuff for 5 days on board, I can hit a little over 3,000 rpm, we cruise now around 2,200 rpm, which is slightly less than same speed rpm before. Now we hit about 21 kts at 2,200 rpm. I was getting some soot on transom before removing pitch, now I get hardly any. Turbos sound like they are giving less boost at that speed as well. I think the barnacles that were growing on the gear were having a big impact which is why I didn't take much of a performance hit.

Or maybe it was because my wallet is much lighter after paying the boatyard bill. Ouch.

In hindsight, I should have more aggressively pursued the pitch removal sooner, as in as soon as I found out WOT should be 3050-3100 rpm.
Mike and Shannon
Tonic
2000 Albin 35TE (galley up, no FB)
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370's

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”