• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Performance Expectations 35TE Single or Twin

lwarden
Mate
Mate
Home Port: San Deigo

Performance Expectations 35TE Single or Twin

Post by lwarden »

Hello,
New to the forum here. I've owned Shamrocks for the past 10 years and am looking to move up in the next year. I currently own a 26' Express. After looking a quite a few boats I think the 35 TE may be a just what I'm looking for. I know there aren't many available, but I'm not in a big hurry, but I'm curious about the performance you can expect from the various engine configurations.
I live in San Diego and do moderate fishing and cruising. We commonly go to Catalina Island, and this is an 80 mile run. I would like to have a boat that can cruise around 18 knots. Faster than that is usually not that comfortable around these parts. From what I can gather doing some searching, 18 knots is doable with twins, but I haven't seen a comprehensive performance between the available engines. I'm comfortable handling a single screw boat, so the handling doesn't really factor into the equation. I would really appreciate some 35 TE owners posting up their engine config, cruise speed and fuel burn numbers. The 35 TE looks like a great boat, any other peculiarities pointed out would be appreciated. Obviously, if you know of a good 35 TE available, I would appreciate a PM.
Thanks,
Captain Starbucks
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Re: Performance Expectations 35TE Single or Twin

Post by Captain Starbucks »

Lwarden! You're jumping ship! Im also over here perusing info on 28TE Newport's. I love my Shamrock 270 but need more overnight space.

Good luck.

Rob in Tacoma
Rob in Tacoma, WA

2009 C-Dory TomCat 255
2001 Shamrock Mackinaw 270, Yanmar 300 - 2015- 2022
2012 Ranger Tug 25 - 2012-2014
1995 Wooldridge 20' Xtra Plus - 2005-2012
lwarden
Mate
Mate

Post by lwarden »

Hey Rob,
I saw you were a member here in another thread and was going to give you a shout out. Yes, it's been 6 years with the current boat and we are looking for more room as well. Been considering a 28 as well but we want to do some extended cruising and may end up near you in the PNW in a few years so need something more substantial. I have dreams of cruising up to Alaska down the road too. Originally I was looking at Rivieras, but now that I've seen the 35TE I think that boat is a better fit for our needs.
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Hi our 2003 35 TE has twin 315 Yanmars and a flying bridge. We cruise at 20 knots at about a mile per gallon.

We don’t do a lot of hull speed cruising but I guess it is in the 7-8 knot range.
We troll slower than that at 4+ Miles per gallon.

Good luck with the hunt, I would love to have my boat in the Puget sound.
lwarden
Mate
Mate

Post by lwarden »

Halcyon wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:38 pm Hi our 2003 35 TE has twin 315 Yanmars and a flying bridge. We cruise at 20 knots at about a mile per gallon.

We don’t do a lot of hull speed cruising but I guess it is in the 7-8 knot range.
We troll slower than that at 4+ Miles per gallon.

Good luck with the hunt, I would love to have my boat in the Puget sound.
Thank you for the information, these are better speeds than I had expected from 315's. How is the stability of the FB model? I really like the idea of a FB, but they seem very rare. There is a nice one in the SF Bay area, but the price is very high. It does look extremely clean and with nice electronics. Where is your boat located?
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

We are near Annapolis. I can't compare stability FB vs non-FB having only run my boat. We do have to be careful not to overload the FB it can heel a bit more than comfortable with 6 adults aloft and no one on the main deck. Trimming the bow up helps in this situation albeit at the price of speed.

We looked at boats with Peninsular, Cummins and Yanmar power. The Yanmar are the quietest and had the least vibration.
windward
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lunenburg Nova Scotia

Post by windward »

Hi

I have a 2005 35 TE with enclosed flybridge. I have a single 440 Hp Yanmar and can cruise all day at 16 Knots burning a little less than 15g/hr ( based on a 3 day run from NY to Nova Scotia ) The Yanmar likes 3100 rpm and in calm waters full trim bow down.

We tend to have two speeds 7.0-8.0 knots at 1400-1600 rpm or 15/16 at 3000-3100 rpm.

Hope this helps.

Windward
Lunenburg, NS
lwarden
Mate
Mate

Post by lwarden »

Thank you Windward. Seems these boat regardless of single or twins are 1 mpg or so at cruise.
loganmj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by loganmj »

A bit late to the game but I have a 35 TE with twin Cummins 370's. We tend to cruise about 17-19 knots (about 1800-1900 rpm) and get about 1 mpg or 0.85 nmpg.
Mike and Shannon
Tonic
2000 Albin 35TE (galley up, no FB)
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370's
lwarden
Mate
Mate

Post by lwarden »

Thanks for the info Mike. Is your boat a flybridge model?
loganmj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loganmj »

No flybridge...
Here is a link to what it looks like..
download/file.php?id=19820&mode=view

While I like having twins for the sake of redundancy, and maneuverability, there definitely are trade-offs. Engine access is fantastic if what you need access to is towards the keel. If it happens to be on the outside, plan on hiring the job out if you are above average in size! I'm 6'1" and not skinny nor small boned, pretty much no way I could get in to remove starboard heat exchanger unless it was a life or death emergency (it wasn't). Our boat is unusual though as it is galley up so I think a galley down twin would have much better access. Access to the outboard side of the port engine is better as you have a pass thru hatch from the bunk room, plus you can pull up floor panels above that engine which gives you pretty good access. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

I did discover today, that my 11 year old makes a great bilge rat and we were able to work as a team and fix the sink drain thru hull I broke when trying to get back there. She crawled back in there no problem! I did the outside tasks while on a finger pier and she was on the inside doing the real work!

Mike
Mike and Shannon
Tonic
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370's
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

loganmj wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:32 pm A bit late to the game but I have a 35 TE with twin Cummins 370's. We tend to cruise about 17-19 knots (about 1800-1900 rpm) and get about 1 mpg or 0.85 nmpg.
Mike, I checked out the link picture, very nice looking boat and great engines. Curious why you run at 1800-1900 rpm. Those engines should make an easy 3,100 rpm at WOT and they would be very happy cruising in the 2,300 t0 2,400 range pushing more fluid (coolant and oil) and this is especially true in a planing hull as they would likely be working less at the higher speed... Just my $0.02 FWIW
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
loganmj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loganmj »

RobS wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:01 am
loganmj wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:32 pm A bit late to the game but I have a 35 TE with twin Cummins 370's. We tend to cruise about 17-19 knots (about 1800-1900 rpm) and get about 1 mpg or 0.85 nmpg.
Mike, I checked out the link picture, very nice looking boat and great engines. Curious why you run at 1800-1900 rpm. Those engines should make an easy 3,100 rpm at WOT and they would be very happy cruising in the 2,300 t0 2,400 range pushing more fluid (coolant and oil) and this is especially true in a planing hull as they would likely be working less at the higher speed... Just my $0.02 FWIW
Rob -
Thanks. We really like it!
Good question. That is where the previous owner said he ran them, the surveyor misinformed me that top cruise RPM should be ~2100 rpm, and as we used the boat last summer the starboard engine started to run a little warm (195 deg) at 1800 rpm or so. I had my eye on servicing the seawater side at the end of the summer, even before one started to run warm. Anyhow both aftercoolers were plugged to a certain degree (starboard sea water passages were probably 70% blocked!. see pic). That was an eye opener! Both heat exchangers looked pretty good but got cleaned and tested anyhow. Gear Oil coolers replaced, new thermostats, all new water supply hoses.

Not related to the seawater circuit servicing, the injectors are being replaced this week.

With all that said and done, next up is a haul out and bottom paint, then I am going to revisit the WOT testing that was done during the survey. The surveyor had in his head 2800 rpm was the target WOT and during the brief (~5 sec) WOT run, they hit just under 2700 rpm. I now know the target WOT is 3100 rpm, so that has left me wondering if the WOT test was too short, tachs may be off, or the boat is over-propped. The previous owner was nervous about running WOT very long, but I didn't question as to why. Next order of business is to redo top speed test to confirm the boat is propped correctly, then yes, I'd like to cruise them a little faster.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Mike and Shannon
Tonic
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370's
lwarden
Mate
Mate

Post by lwarden »

Thanks Mike,
Boat looks nice. I assume it's fairly new to you. Any other pics would be welcome.
I'm narrowing down my search now between the 35TS and a Riviera 34/33. Different animals I know, but both have their pluses and minuses. I much prefer the Albin in terms of style, there are just very few available. Riviera's are more common and a FB would give more usable space for cruising and better visibility for fishing. After speaking to a couple members with singles and twins I'm strongly leaning towards twins, preferably Cummins but Yanmar would be fine.
If anyone is aware of one for sale please post up a link or PM me.

Thanks,
Laurence
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Mike, that is sad that the surveyor was clueless on your engine specs. He should have done his homework the night before or simply noted the specs right there on the engine dataplate. And yes, the WOT test was too short but the tachs could be off and the boat overpropped. Sounds like she would have overheated on any longer run at WOT anyway.

Laurence, good luck. I went from a pilothouse to a flybridge. The drawback of having to climb the ladder is a trade off for visibility and added room as you noted, both are major gains. I used to run in the rain quite a bit with the pilothouse, not so much now with the bridge, it's totally do-able when you have to but not as convenient as glass and wipers. However, to open up the isinglass on the nice days more than makes up for the rainy ones!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”