• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transmission Lever...sluggish ride

mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Transmission Lever...sluggish ride

Post by mjohnh »

Believe it or not, Serenity Now (28TE) got out for the first time, today. It was SLUGGISH. Waves only 1 foot and wind not a big factor. It is no fresh water and there seems to be a lot of green algae etc that has collected around the boat. At 1100 rpm it was at about 5kt as it should be...when I opened it up to about 2200 rpm it would only get to about 8kts..even if RPMs went to 3000.
When we started out, I noticed that the gear shift lever would not would not "pull out laterally" while in neutral as it has before. (It should pull out so that you can rev the engine while not in gear).

I am wondering: 1. why would the lever not pull out laterally; 2. could there be a relationship between the lever issue and the boat being sluggish. (I define "sluggish" as not wanting to gain speed as RPMs are increased); 3. could the bottom be fouled enough with vegetation to effect the operation this much? 4. I added about 1 quart of LUCAS OIL injector cleaner solution to the diesel fuel about 6 days ago. Could that explain the sluggish condition. Thanks for any response to this.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Transmission Lever...sluggish ride

Post by Nancy »

What engine is in the boat? Has it been sitting in the water? For how long? Lake Michigan? When is the last time it ran well?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Yes, at my slip in a river leading to Lake Michigan. It was launched around June 1 and ran well then. It has not left the slip since launch. The engine runs fine. But, it acts as if it is dragging a extra 1000 pounds on acceleration. 3 weeks ago, the transmission lever would move laterally while neutral and the engine could be revved without difficulty. Not sure why it won't do that now. It has the Yanmar 315 6LPE.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

No doubt in my mind that the bottom is fouled; it’s a classic symptom of the impact on performance you describe.
Don.
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Thanks, Don....I will have it pulled and power washed. I still can't figure out why the transmission lever won't "pull" laterally when in neutral, now. It was fine a few weeks ago.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”