• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Amperage for Battery Charger 2005 31TE?

Albin31ARB
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Aquebogue, NY

Amperage for Battery Charger 2005 31TE?

Post by Albin31ARB »

The battery charger on our 2005 31TE has bit the bullet so needs to be replaced. The existing unit is a Professional Mariner Protech Series 4. The owner's manual lists three 12V models in that series - a 30 amp, 40 amp, and a 50 amp. I cannot tell which amperage the unit is because the sticker has worn off from years of crawling down the hatch. Does anyone know the amperage of a unit that would have been installed by the factory for a 2005 31TE?

Thanks,

Peter B
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Amperage for Battery Charger 2005 31TE?

Post by RobS »

What Albin equipped the boat with almost 15 years ago is not your deciding factor. Battery charger needs to be spec'd based on your current (or intended) battery configuration and amp hours (battery sizes, number, recharge times, etc.) The higher amp chargers will charge faster so if you're a guy that comes in late and goes out early the next morning this is crucial, if you're a once or twice a week day tripper whose boat sits for days on shorepower, not so crucial. And don't forget the amp rating is the DC output, not to be confused with the shorepower inlet..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Albin31ARB
Mate
Mate

Post by Albin31ARB »

Thanks for the info. Given that the charger installed on the boat originally suited our needs and performed fine for our usage, and that I do not want to have to do any rewiring to handle potentially higher amperage, I'd like to simply install an equivalent replacement. Hence my question as to what amperage would have been originally installed. If anyone knows this info please let me know.

Thanks,

Peter B
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

For what it’s worth I only charge with a 10amp charger. I’m normally week to week charging two 240 amp hour batteries. I very rarely see the output showing at 10 amps on the display, it’s normally only 4-5 amps at most.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Albin31ARB wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 pm Thanks for the info. Given that the charger installed on the boat originally suited our needs and performed fine for our usage, and that I do not want to have to do any rewiring to handle potentially higher amperage, I'd like to simply install an equivalent replacement. Hence my question as to what amperage would have been originally installed. If anyone knows this info please let me know.

Thanks,

Peter B
Sorry that I missed your initial post. I'll be to the boat in a day or two and will check for you. When I upgraded and re did batteries and configuration, I added a second charger: ProNautic 12.60 just to accommodate the new house bank and left the Pronautic, ProTech to serve the Start and Genset banks.

Chargers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Albin31ARB
Mate
Mate

Post by Albin31ARB »

Thanks Pitou/Kevin S...based on your picture, the top unit (black with blue and white label) is the one we have so if you can provide me with the amperage, that would be much appreciated. It will save me a 4 hour round trip!!

Peter B
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Albin31ARB wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:03 pm Thanks Pitou/Kevin S...based on your picture, the top unit (black with blue and white label) is the one we have so if you can provide me with the amperage, that would be much appreciated. It will save me a 4 hour round trip!!

Peter B
Peter - The decals on the unit do not have any indication of which model that the unit is and all decals are in good shape and readable. Based on how my battery configuraration was when originally equipped, my guess is that it is a 50 amp charger. Sorry to not have confirmatory information for you.

If you do go with the new Pro-Nautic charger from Promariner, consider getting their digital remote panel to install above your breaker panels so that you can monitor and better understand the charging that is taking place. My new Pro-Nautic 12-60 has one and this charger serves just my house bank which is roughly 650 amps.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Albin31ARB
Mate
Mate

Post by Albin31ARB »

Thanks for checking! Much appreciated.
Albin31ARB
Mate
Mate

Post by Albin31ARB »

Just in case anyone in the future has the same issue, the charger originally installed on our 31TE was a 50 Amp PROTECH 1250, Part #61250. Miraculously, the part number had been written down in an old log book I was browsing through this weekend looking for something completely unrelated!!

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”