• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE Flush Deck draft

haida
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Orcas Island

28TE Flush Deck draft

Post by haida »

2005 28TE Flush Deck. Looking into building a dock in NW Washington State salt water. County/federal requirements plus shallow beach are serious challenges. I need to know the fully loaded draft of the 28TE with 6LPA, i.e., full fuel, water, 8 passengers and equipment. I don't know the conditions used in the manufacturer's specs of 38", but I suspect that is at dry weight of 7,500# - nowhere near a full load. I don't know how to calculate additional draft per pound.

Has anyone measured or calculated the draft under varying load conditions?
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Re: 28TE Flush Deck draft

Post by carolmarie »

Too many variables to guess at. I’d load the boat as you describe, perhaps moving occupants toward the stern, moving at various (slow) speeds and then looking/ marking the impact on water line; then measuring the draft on the hard. You will also have to account for wind/wave conditions as you make your approach. In short, my guess is that you will somewhere around 4.5 feet under the hull; can’t imagine much less. Don.
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Post by Alan_Douville »

4.5FT is what I always assume from what I have measured at the beach. Not an accurate measurement by any means.
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

We have an engine box model 28 TE, not a flush deck, but 4.5 ft seems way too much . Our draft is 3' 2". Why would the flush deck be so much more?
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Dale, my 2001, engine box has the same specified draft of 3’2” as were all subsequent 28 TE models, engine box or flush deck. Haida was trying to create a worse case load scenario and ask owners, in their experience, if the “full” load would significantly lower the draft since his approach to the new dock he plans to build is very shallow. He will need some reasonable depth margin to take into account the “extra” weight as well as hull movement under wave conditions. I wouldn’t want less than a foot of water under my hull when approaching the dock in windy/chop conditions.
Don.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

I have a FD and can confirm that the draft at the lower rudder bearing with full fuel and water tanks plus roughly 50 pounds of gear in the lazarette and a cooler that weighs 50-70 lb situated at the aft end of the cockpit, is about 3'6". This is with a dry baitwell. For the purpose of determining the necessary water depth for the dock, you would want to know what the depth is at low water during spring tides and with waves (or boat wakes) heaving the bow and stern up and down.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I tried to calibrate by sonar really carefully, so as to hit the bottom at exactly 3’2”, as per the book.
The one time I made the wrong turn and hit ground on the wrong side of the marker, my sonar flashed 2’7”.
1) I need to work on my Navigation Skills., or lack of.
2) I need to calibrate the sonar/plotter better..🙁
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”