• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow Thruster zinc

dougleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Bow Thruster zinc

Post by dougleonard »

I recently purchased a 2007 Albin 28. Is there a zinc needed on the front Bow Thruster. If so, what type and model number. Thanks
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Bow Thruster zinc

Post by Norseman »

dougleonard wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:15 pm I recently purchased a 2007 Albin 28. Is there a zinc needed on the front Bow Thruster. If so, what type and model number. Thanks
If you have a Vetus thruster you need a zinc.
Probably discussed many times before on this board.
Check out this picture, lower right hand corner:
06CE85D5-E57A-40FE-89A1-FDAEE7844DF4.jpeg
Picture from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10612

Some thrusters have the zinc under the “foot”, some on the hub just in front of the prop.
Mine is a Vetus 55 (I think) about 4 HP., 2001 vintage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

Mine is behind the prop...been using boatzincs dot com for the past few years. The item # and description:

BP-1126A Aluminum Anode for Vetus 35 and 55 Bow Thrusters (SET0149A).
2004 28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Linky:
Looks like I have the 50, not 55.
https://www.boatzincs.com/vetus.html
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
dougleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by dougleonard »

Thanks for the assistance and information on the bow thruster.
hatchetjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Marys, Georgia

Post by hatchetjoe »

One word of caution. Getting the old zinc off after you have taken the propeller off a Vetus thruster is a challenge. My diver was not able to do it with an assistant. I had the boat lifted to change the main propeller and after an hour I gave up on changing the zinc. It was solidly fused on the shaft with sea growth and there was no obvious way to get hold of it. When I had the boat hauled out for Hurricane Dorian I asked the marina to change the zinc and the mechanic said it was a matter of cutting and drilling to get it off the shaft.
Hatchetjoe
Final Draft
Albin 28 TE
315 hp Yanmar 6LPA STP 19x17 4 blade prop
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

Not sure if its a boatzincs.com issue or common with all Vetus zincs but my "behind the prop" zinc goes on snug and very rarely come off easy each year without tools. What has been working for me, and being super careful, is splitting it at the screw sides with a chisel and rubber mallet. The zinc is soft and usually splits by just tapping a bit on one side and twisting the chisel. Key word is careful but it has worked for the past 3-4 seasons.
2004 28TE
Kimotee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mattapoisett MA

Post by Kimotee »

On our (new to us) 2008 Albin 28 TE Newport flush deck, the Vetus is a BOW4512D and takes zinc SET0149. It is available at https://www.boatzincs.com/Vetus-BP-1126.html even though it is listed as a zinc for the 35 and 55. I cross checked it with the Vetus online parts index, and also got an email response from Vetus confirming the thruster model. Next adventure is actually getting the old off, and new on!

Update. Received zinc today. Got the prop off and found NO zinc installed or remaining, just the two retaining screws left. Having been told previously by a marine service guy that this bow thruster needed no zinc, I wasn't altogether surprised. Cleaned the mounting area for the zinc, greased the prob shaft and the pin, installed the new zinc with the new screws with some Loctite 242, and re-installed the prop with a new Nylock nut. Tools required - 10 mm socket with 6" extension for the prop nut, and long, T-handle 3 mm Allen wrench for the two socket retaining screws. Retaining screws and Nylock nut ship with the new zinc.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”