• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Blue gelcoat 2005 35TE

windward
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lunenburg Nova Scotia

Blue gelcoat 2005 35TE

Post by windward »

Hi

I'm looking at having my 2005 35TE painted over the winter. The hull gelcoat is dark blue and nicely faded.

My boats shop uses Alexseal. I am thinking that Flag Blue is the correct shade but there is also Midnight Blue and Majestic Blue. Also what about the bootstripe off white?

Does anyone have experience in making this choice?

Windward
Lunenburg, NS
larryrotta
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: suttons bay, MI

Re: Blue gelcoat 2005 35TE

Post by larryrotta »

While I seriously considered Flag blue for my 28 my current thinking is it is too dark and have determined to go with Awlgrip Corinthia Blue with a white pinstrip under the rub rail and a white boot top. I will see the blue done in Feb and will then make a final decision on the white...may not do the pinstripe. Bottom line, only you or your wife can make this choice.

Larry
Raffles
ex Ruddy Duck
'01 TE28 Cummins 370B
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Here is a photo of the Carol Marie on launch day, 2019. She was painted flag blue, with a quarter inch gold cove stripe below the rub rail and a white boot stripe. Decision to paint was a good one, she looks today (except for some fender rash and scrapes over the years) like the day we had her painted - in May of 2008!
Don.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

My Albin 31 was painted with Awlcraft Corinthia Blue in 2017. Corinthia Blue is one shade lighter than flag blue. Awlcraft is supposed to be easier to repair than Awlgrip. The second picture was taken this summer just after redoing the bottom, waxing the top, and doing the blue with Awlcare.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
windward
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lunenburg Nova Scotia

Post by windward »

Wow! That is spectacular and your 31 reminds me of my last Albin.
My yard uses Alexseal which I understand is similar to Awlcraft.
I dream of just washing it and having it shine. I have been fighting blue gelcoat too long.
Thanks for the pics.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”