• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Buying 2009 Albin 28 TE Newport

Kimotee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mattapoisett MA

Buying 2009 Albin 28 TE Newport

Post by Kimotee »

Moved 2 years ago from Hawaii to Southcoast MA on Buzzards Bay. We are old (as in beyond fourscore and ten) sailors whose last boat was an Albin Vega 27. As much as we love sailing, to be on the water regularly, and Buzzards Bay specifically, we've been searching for a Downeast style power boat with nice accommodation for a couple for a weekend or short week on the water under $100K. We discovered this forum as part of our search, and appreciate the straight answers we have found. Now we are at a decision point. Long story short, we've found a lovely 2009 Newport TE 28 https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2009 ... 103663032/ We are not fishing folks, but want a nice boat that will handle us and our small family on their visits in the notorious conditions in Buzzards Bay and points north to the Gulf of Maine, and down to LI Sound. We like the combination of power, economy, and speed offered by the TE 28.

We've read the pros and cons on the flush deck vs. engine box variants, and understand the service access is a bit more difficult and the noise level may be higher. This boat has the 320 h.p. Cummins, which we like a lot. But, the rudder seems very small.

There are some questions we've asked the broker and will be waiting for a reply for a couple of days. But, there was nothing notable that stood out during our tour aboard that has caused us pause. We are ready to pull the trigger if the answers are forthcoming. Boat is super clean and we understand that it has been well maintained by a fastidious owner. Assuming all questions are answered satisfactorily, what should be be looking for or thinking about in transitioning from sail to power aboard this boat?

Thank you all for your response....
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Buying 2009 Albin 28 TE Newport

Post by Pitou »

Welcome aboard. The small rudder is by design for the flush deck model. I sure do like the setup with the companion seat forward along with the settee. Have never seen one with both options.

I like your float plans. We boat out of Gloucester and with the 28 we found our way as far south as Essex & Mystic, CT with stops along the way in Cuttyhunk, Block, etc.. North bound travels to York, Kennebunkport, Portland, Casco Bay, and throughout the rivers to Boothbay. The 28TE will treat you well!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. We like the combination of power, economy, and speed offered by the TE 28.
Agree: We are also sailors, as in Ex sailboaters.
2 years ago we purchased a 2001 28TE, Engine Box and Yanmar.
Very happy with the boat, good for a small family for long or short trips, fast or slow.
It handles oceans as well or better than any 28’ power boat, but wife does not like bouncing around, and salt spray at 17 knots.
Quality of the boat and hardware is great: Love the wide side-decks and the sturdy cleats, lots of hand holds, good railings, etc.
With the small rudder and big prop, the bow thruster is a must, must. 8)
Overall a great boat for our needs: 4-5 day overnights cruising the Florida Keys and an occasional Bahamas trip.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

We have owned our 2001, 28TE for 16 years. It has been a remarkably safe and reliable boat that has handled difficult seas on several (unplanned) occasions. If I had to guess, I’d say your transition from sail to power will be more along the lines of switching to “sail to power” in general:
- noise (they’re are no quiet power boats, as you well know)
- diesel fumes (on occasion)
- wet ride in rough (relatively speaking) seas and resultant bumpy ride
- relative cabin space/storage depending on the size sailboat your used to
- lobster pot lines will be easier to snare; harder to spot and less time to react, not to mention a 19 prop even though it’s somewhat protected
- radar will tend to be more important
- you’re significant other will likely take more time to transition than you
Anyway, you are considering a terrific make and model boat that has a solid reputation for reliably and safely getting you where you want to go and back home should conditions change quickly underway.
After sixteen years of ownership, we appreciate our 28TE every time we turn the key.
Don.

Don.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

Who made the 2009 Albin?
Kimotee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kimotee »

Hi folks...

Thank you so much for your quick answers.

You have reinforced what we have come to believe about our boat choice....

irishwake - one of the questions we asked the broker is exactly yours - Who built it? We know that C&C Marine intended to build some after 2010 from an announcement in New England Boating, but there had been some other yards in the bidding for the molds earlier. Anyone else have some idea?

carolmarie - exactly the reasons we are looking at the Albin 28 - Buzzards Bay has a nasty reputation for a quick turn in weather and rips between the islands. We like the Albin's power and hull combo, and the fact that the pilothouse is fully enclosed... I volunteer aboard our club's committee boat, a 26' converted lobster boat, and it can be wet on the best of days.

New question for all of you

This Newport edition has an all electric galley, and A/C onboard, but no generator. Can't say we like the setup that forces the use of shore power since we are in the region where you are either on a mooring on on the hook. How have you all handled the basics for the galley? Looks like the electric cooktop will come out, but what then? Refrigeration? Microwave? does this stuff work off of the boat's 12v system or use an inverter?
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

I would do more research on the history of that boat. I am not aware of any Albin built after 2005. Be careful!
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. Refrigeration? Microwave?
Mounted a solar panel on the cabin top of my 28TE.
It will charge the batteries enough to run the fridge continuously (in Florida sun)
Also have a 2500 watt inverter, have not tried to run the microwave through it, but it should be possible (700 watt microwave)

The solar panel is 75 watts and a digital MPPT controller boost the output beyond my expectations. :shock:
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

irishwake wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:56 am I would do more research on the history of that boat. I am not aware of any Albin built after 2005. Be careful!
I saw a listing for a brand new Albin 28TE sometime in 2015.
Asked the broker for more details but he never answered me back,
Though the price was around $150k.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I am running a 3000 watt inverter. Albeit at 240v ac. I can run the microwave and boil an electric kettle with no issues at all.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Kimotee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kimotee »

Good recommendations. Thank you....
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Kimotee, I hear you on all that electric stuff in the galley. I like the simple single-burner butane stove on our boat. We're not big microwave users, and I pulled that out, too. Lots of good storage space with it gone.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Post by Alan_Douville »

I believe my Hull Number is the last one manufactured out of the RI Facility in 2008. Was not aware of 2009's being manufactured.
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

On our 28TE we had a generator and an 1800 watt true sine inverter.

The cooktop was a single butane burner as Nancy and adequate.

Obviously the generator handled everything including the air conditioning, but "rarely" needed air conditioning when on the hook or a mooring. In my opinion and for us New Englanders, the air conditioning is more of a dead air on the dock thing.

The inverter was adequate for the microwave, coffee pot and toaster. Just be sure to have a robust house bank. I utilized 2 - 6 volt golf cart batteries, but a bank of 4 would have been better for extended time on the hook along with a solar panel system as Norseman.

My 31TE is an '06 laid up by Albin in Portsmouth, RI. Before C&C, Shamrock laid up a few hulls for a short period before succumbing to the recession of 2008.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”