• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My 1996 31te

Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rhode Island

My 1996 31te

Post by Plastikosmd »

So got it home. Was a bit more than a 100mile run. 2300rpm (didn’t touch throttle for 6.5 hrs.) Seas went from 1-2 after about 3 hrs to 4-5++ for last 3.5. Boat handled it great. Fuel burn was around 10 gph. It was much better, early in trip but seas got tougher.
Background:
I have always liked Novi/Downeast style. First boat was a Midland 19 foot. The admiral and I had a lot of adventures. We outgrew the CC and moved into a Parker 2520DV. In my quest for more fish and bigger catches we steadily moved the boat further south and east until we were on the sound/ocean and out of protected Narragansett Bay. This led to some consternation from the admiral as the increase and seas lead to some discomfort on her part. (More profanity than nausea.) We also began to appreciate/desire some comforts as we have gotten older. Thus began thesearch for a downeast or Downeast “style” boat with a combination of cruising and fishing capabilities. I began my investigation through local brokers and the Internet. I joined several forums and lurked for information. I reviewed every “downeast” boats on yachtbroker. This provided me 50 or 60 individual makers to focus. Putting aside individual biases I was able to glean a list of wants/needs and coupled that with functionality I wanted.

I needed a boat that could easily be captained by one person (65% usage) yet comfortable for 2 ( 30% usage and we like our space) and expandablity for 4-6 for fishing (5%.)

Eventually, I came across the Albin 31te. Factory downeast “style” boat, (132+/- produced over 14 year+/- period.)

Albin had the right look and function. The marketing slogan of a “fishing machine for the cruising family” was dead on. The 31te was a “BIG” 31. My list seemed a perfect match diesel, single preferred (twin considered), sea capabilities, comfort, 2 berth, no flybridge, cruise comfort in cabin(couch etc) galley/head/shower, Fishing set up including Downriggers, live bait well and fish storage/tackle storage.
Bonus Things (that could be added later) AC, genset/solar, updated electronics.

As I was not looking for a project = a well-documented and well cared for Boat was key.

The people that I interacted with on the albin forum were consummate professionals, willing to provide information and pictures/sea trials if I desired.

I made several inquiries regarding the 31te and quickly saw that the boats do not last long.

An Albin forum member reached out to me. He was considering selling but was still well invested in his boat and wanted to see if I was serious. (He was more than happy to keep it.) I was serious and willing to factor in his care and upgrades.

In relatively short order, we met/took a sea trial/spent several hours together and settled on a deal. Both of us couldn’t be happier. The ride sold the admiral. She negotiated and closed the deal.

Seaquel:
1996 31te
3126 cat 420hp
Thuster
Ac
3k inverter
2016-2018 electronics
(To many creature comforts to list)
Repainted, rebuilt, reconditioned and maintained.
My independent Survey was A+(dry hull/stringers and mechanically perfect)
Boat is well documented including yearly commissioning, haul out and general maintenance since owned. Oil survey every year since owned and it duplicated mine as perfect.

There will be some small changes made and some small things to do. Likely some questions (bear with me) stepping up to inboard diesel and other systems from a couple of outboards.

Pics soon
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Re: My 1996 31te

Post by irishwake »

Good luck with your new boat. You will love the Albin 31!
Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Plastikosmd »

Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Plastikosmd »

Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Plastikosmd »

Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Plastikosmd »

Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Plastikosmd »

Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Northport

Post by Jforesta »

Scott best of luck with Seaquel. I will miss her dearly. It was a great experience building her to my liking.
Enjoy her, she is a fine gal, she won’t let you down.
Thanks to AOG for all you help over the years especially Rob S.
From TOYRIFIC to Seaquel.
You all have been great.
Moving on to a new chapter with the purchase of a custom 32 NOVI,
Seaquel, thanks for the enjoyment and the memories that I will cherish.
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Plastikosmd »

Joe, she will be well cared for
I will emulate your attention to detail and care
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Thanks Joe. Best of luck in the next chapter, you deserve it, you are the owner every boat needs but so seldom ever finds.
It seems like yesterday that we sat at the dining room table squaring up on the T-R deal and you said "You know, this boating thing ain't really my thing, I'm more of a golfer............"
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Plastikosmd »

In my marina
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Congratulatios on moving into the Albin 31TE and your first long jouney! I especially enjoyed seeing the picture showing the exhaust riser on that Cat .. someone has been paying attention and caring for this hull in asthetics and with what's under the decks. She looks like a great choice. Welcome aboard! :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Post by Jmk2000 »

That’s an immaculate boat! That engine room, you could eat off it!
Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Plastikosmd »

very clean, well cared for. I plan to keep it the same way! thank you
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Nice. Congrats.👍👌
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”