• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hull to Deck Joint Leak

pbramble
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Grays Inn Creek, MD

Hull to Deck Joint Leak

Post by pbramble »

Hey all, over the weekend, we had to cruise in a following sea in some very snotty weather. We noticed when we would plow into a trough, a lot of water coming into the cabin from beneath the liner just forward of the galley. I've never noticed that before (boat is new to us), but this weekend was definitely the worst seas we have experienced. I had the boat trimmed down as far as we could, to smooth out the ride, but that plowing motion just forced water into the cabin. I'm certain it is a a failure of the joint between the hull and the deck. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this a death knell for this boat?

Thanks
Paul Bramble
1994 28 TE, Engine Box
"The Village Flirt"
Grays Inn Creek, MD
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Hull to Deck Joint Leak

Post by Norseman »

Which model Albin?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
pbramble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pbramble »

Norseman wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:31 pm Which model Albin?
1994 28 TE, engine box. I should have that in my signature.
Paul Bramble
1994 28 TE, Engine Box
"The Village Flirt"
Grays Inn Creek, MD
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Paul,
We had at least 2 leaks up front. Had the rub railed pulled and reinstalled this past winter and all our leaks are gone. Most or all the water seemed to be coming through fasteners not the joint.
Not to get off topic but...
I had a flush deck 28 and made the mistake of running in a following sea with the tabs down. Don’t think the engine boxes are as bad at bow steering as the flush decks can be but it was the only time I was ever scared by my 28. At 15 knts she turned sideways and rolled hard. It was our second day with the boat. I think you can find some other info on here on the subject.

John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Certainly not a kiss of death. Just need to re-seal it. I’ve had mine for about a month and ran it to the Annapolis boat show and also experienced some
Interesting characteristics of the boat. By the way, I am at chestertown marina, just up from you. At conquest often.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. had the boat trimmed down as far as we could, to smooth out the ride, but that plowing motion just forced water into the cabin.
Boat trimmed down?
BOW trimmed down, or bow up and stern down? :shock:
Sorry, trying to visualize Boat Trimmed Down...?
I have also been in some weather and seas with my 2001 Albin 28TE, but never noticed water ingress from hull/deck joint, or rub rail.
I keep the bow up as much as possible whether running with the waves, or into them. In smooth waters and at max Cruise power, I trim the bow slightly down to stay on plane at max MPG/KNOTS using the fuel computer as a guide.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Following seas? Get that bow up as far as she goes. Only use the tabs to level her in following seas.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
pbramble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pbramble »

had the tabs all the way down, trying to smooth out the ride, didn't affect tracking that I noticed, but will keep the adivce given in mind next time I'm in similiar conditions.

Hopefully its just the rubrail needing to be resealed, it was a good amount of water leaking in
Paul Bramble
1994 28 TE, Engine Box
"The Village Flirt"
Grays Inn Creek, MD
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I did as Carl with my 28 --- following sea =bow up. In a tight head sea I found she ran better with a little bow down, likely due to the sharper deadrise being introduced.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

So is it possible since forward of sink, that it could be the hatch seal? Have you tried to duplicate leak with a hose around the hatch and portals? Unless the deck joint has been damaged, or is noticeably loose I would get the hose out and start squirting. Also might want to look at anchor locker and bow pulpit joints, including windless bolts.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
pbramble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pbramble »

Carl wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:47 am So is it possible since forward of sink, that it could be the hatch seal? Have you tried to duplicate leak with a hose around the hatch and portals? Unless the deck joint has been damaged, or is noticeably loose I would get the hose out and start squirting. Also might want to look at anchor locker and bow pulpit joints, including windless bolts.
Carl,
We had the hatch resealed this summer, and have had no leaks from it, and the way the water came in, basically instantly when we went into a trough, I'm leaning towards it coming though the rub rail.
Paul Bramble
1994 28 TE, Engine Box
"The Village Flirt"
Grays Inn Creek, MD
pbramble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pbramble »

RobS wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:15 am I did as Carl with my 28 --- following sea =bow up. In a tight head sea I found she ran better with a little bow down, likely due to the sharper deadrise being introduced.
I trim the bow down routinely to maximize my speed vs rpms. When the bow is trimmed all the way up, I lose about 1.5 to 2 knots of speed, sweet spot seems to be trimmed down about midway.

in the situation over the weekend, I was trying to outrun the storm, which included the occasional lightning bolt, while also not sending my children and belongs tumbling all over the cabin, so I trimmed the bow down as far as I could because that was allowing the boat to slice through the chop.
Paul Bramble
1994 28 TE, Engine Box
"The Village Flirt"
Grays Inn Creek, MD
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Something like this .....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
pbramble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pbramble »

RobS wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 pm Something like this .....
exactly
Paul Bramble
1994 28 TE, Engine Box
"The Village Flirt"
Grays Inn Creek, MD
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

My 31 leaked where the hull attached to the deck both in a heavy rain and when running into a sea. Removed the rub rail and caulked all the screw holes that attached the deck to the hull and also caulked under the rub rails and the screws that attached the rub rail as well. Have had no problems since and that was10 years ago. The factory was sloppy in caulking these screws. Is not hard, just time consuming and easier done by two, but a single person can do it.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”