• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Which Diesel?

PeterYOW
Mate
Mate
Home Port: FLL

Which Diesel?

Post by PeterYOW »

I understand there were several engine options available for the faster boats. Cummins, Peninsular and Yanmars. I would really like to be able to cruise in the neighborhood of 18 knots to 20 knots. Fuel consumption is not terribly high on my worry list whereas dependability, longevity and ease of servicing are. At this point I'm mostly interested in the 32' sport fisher although never having been on any, at this point, my selection may change given input from my partner. Still would like the 18 to 20 knots. Single engine much preferred. I'm not as nimble as I once was and cramming myself into cubby holes just ain't gonna happen :roll:

I also understand there is no definitive answer and a lot will depend on previous maintenance as to dependability etc. Comments, please. Thanks
PeterYOW
Mate
Mate

Re: Which Diesel?

Post by PeterYOW »

36 views and no comments? Did I ask the wrong question? Perhaps what is the preferred engine and for what reason? Thanks.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

PeterYOW wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 am 36 views and no comments? Did I ask the wrong question? Perhaps what is the preferred engine and for what reason? Thanks.
The 32 is a rare boat, it may take a while to get an answer.
On the 28TE, Yanmar is a popular choice, at least after the valve issued was solved.
Some of the Yanmar powered 28s can cruise at 18 knots or more, but for high speed, the Cummins 370 is probably better.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I've owned three Yanmar 6LP's and they always ran like a top. A little busy with the extra relays and price parts are not friendly on your wallet.
I now run twin Cummins 6BTA's - no timing belt (6LP is a timing belt engine, 6LY is not), a simpler engine to own and work on, and parts prices are much more tolerable.
I'd take either one if maintained to a high standard and setup right as to prop load and a safe exhaust system.

If you want that definitive answer - Cummins would be my first choice.
Where else could you get support like this:
https://www.sbmar.com/
https://www.sbmar.com/community/
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
PeterYOW
Mate
Mate

Post by PeterYOW »

Thanks very much guys. We've only ever owned Lehman diesels. Very old school and normally aspirated so the foray into "modern" (turbocharged) technology will be a bit of a learning curve. Any comments on Peninsular diesels? I've read that they are not well regarded, by some, but nothing concrete or definitive. They are rumored to be quite fuel efficient but as I mentioned beforehand, that's not the most impotent consideration.
DougA
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Noyo Harbor Fort Bragg, CA

Post by DougA »

I have a '96 28TE with Peninsular that was fully replaced new about 5 years ago. So Hopefully none of the issues of the earlier "Beast" Peninsular engines. I get about 1.7 nautical miles per gallon on plane. The boat is happy about 2800 to 3000 rpm producing 17 to 20 knots. About 400 hours to date. Nice diesel growl too.
Doug A.
96 28TE "Chinook"
Fort Bragg CA

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”