• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

I'm an Albin owner now!

ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabeck, WA

I'm an Albin owner now!

Post by ESpiegel »

“Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in event of success.”

This supposedly was the advertisement Ernest Shackleton posted for his Antarctic expedition on his ship "Endurance". It was an incredible story of perseverance and a testament to what people can endure to survive. The best version of the story was written by Alfred Lansing.

Endurance is what I’ll be naming our new adventure.

Just handed over the check for the 2009 Albin 32TE yesterday to Mr. Palmer. This was the last Albin 31TE/32TE (same as 31TE, but badged as a 32TE by Shamrock) . Bo transferred it to his dad in 2009 and it's seen little use since then (only 170 hours). Everything inside is practically new. Engine compartment was a different story. The factory never installed the 7$ ABS plastic vent collectors on the side of the pilot house and they've been leaking for the last 10 years here in the pacific northwest. Engine has some corrosion issues. at some point the engine compartment bilge filled up with rainwater and sat for a while, submerging the tranny and up to the starter on the engine. starter has been replaced.
The engine ran perfect during sea trials, but the Cummins Tech was concerned with the amount of corrosion and general lack of maintenance. Transmission also ran flawlessly and pressures/temp were perfect.
I'm debating to pull the engine so i can repaint the engine and the bilge areas, replace the engine mounts, and bring her current on all maintenance, or leave the engine in place and take care of the maintenance as installed. touch up paint as I can. Anyone in the Seattle area know of a shop they recommend to yank the engine?
I think that Shamrock rushed the finishing on this boat in order to make it to the 2009 Miami boat show. Since no new orders were made for Albin boats, they closed Albin and Shamrock and this boat was never fully finished. Its all mostly minor stuff, but it's not right. Hopefullly, you folks on this website can help me finish her.
Any pics of the following items would be awesome:
-The helm footrest has no latch to keep in up position
-the cabin door has no latch to keep it open or closed. some Velco helps keep it open, but I'm sure it won't stay open with any wave action.
-There is nothing above the cabin door entry. looks like there is supposed to be a Starboard/wood piece that slides in and would latch to the door to secure the cabin. If you have one, where do you store it when its not in place?
-the vetus bow thruster shuts off my electronics when i use it. I believe the thruster is on the wrong battery, or the electronics are. I need to figure out the battery configuration. it has 4 grp 31 batteries, and 3 disconnect switches.
-There's no compass mounted in the helm, but looks like there was a spot designed for one.
-How do you guys deal with defogging windows? I ordered a Planar diesel heater (used) that i am thinking i can rig ducting to the windows. any ideas?

This forum has been a great help so far in deciding to purchase the boat. I have read all of the posts in TE threads and also the general discussion threads, back to 2008. lots of information here.

Thanks,
Eric
Endurance2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Re: I'm an Albin owner now!

Post by MadMoney »

Eric -

Congrats on the purchase! I look forward to hearing how all the projects work out.

Most of the yards in the Seattle area charge lay days which can really add up (depending on the project of course). I've always had good luck with the Delta Marine on the Duwamish Waterway.

Good luck and keep us posted

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Congratulations, Eric! She sure is pretty. Sounds like you went into this deal fully-informed, so hopefully there won't be any big surprises. I can't help you much with your 31-specific questions, but I'm sure Kevin and others will be along shortly.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rhode Island

Post by Plastikosmd »

Welcome to the club
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

Congrats on your purchase. Looks like a sweet ride!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Congratulations again, Eric! It willbe great having another 31/32TE owner participating on AOG.

The helm footrest has no latch to keep in up position

-the cabin door has no latch to keep it open or closed. some Velco helps keep it open, but I'm sure it won't stay open with any wave action. The 3M Velcro Button works pretty well keeping it open, but does need to be replaced every few years. Keeping it closed involves a couple of barrel bolts, one inside and one out. There is also a locking hasp that secures the cabin and keeps the starboard cover tops in place.

-There is nothing above the cabin door entry. looks like there is supposed to be a Starboard/wood piece that slides in and would latch to the door to secure the cabin. If you have one, where do you store it when its not in place? Two starboard pieces would normally be there to close up the cabin. Both pieces when not in use store against the bulkhead under the helm footrest.

Here's a picture without hem in place. I'll get you a better picture.
20180709_181645.jpg

-the vetus bow thruster shuts off my electronics when i use it. I believe the thruster is on the wrong battery, or the electronics are. I need to figure out the battery configuration. it has 4 grp 31 batteries, and 3 disconnect switches. I had the same issue and installed a Newmar Start Guard to resolve the issue. Since then I upgraded battery banks and reconfigured Battery Switches and some of switch wiring: Here's a link - http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.ph ... mar#p75859

-There's no compass mounted in the helm, but looks like there was a spot designed for one. You are correct; dead center at the to of the helm dash.

-How do you guys deal with defogging windows? I ordered a Planar diesel heater (used) that i am thinking i can rig ducting to the windows. any ideas? I hardwired a simple Caframo fan at the helm, but a ducted diesel heater would be awesome!

I have quite a library of pictures, but seem to be missing "good" shots of the areas of your concerns. I'm headed to the boat on Friday and will get the areas you've asked for including the vents and bilge blowers.

Glad to have you involved and aboard!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabeck, WA

Post by ESpiegel »

Thanks Kevin.
Switching the thruster feed to the starting bank will probably fix my electrical issues.
I need to figure out all the dc wiring. I have 3 isolation switches. Switch 1 is engine starting, switch 2 not sure yet but possibly the generator, switch 3 is the house switch and has battery 1/ battery 2/ and both. I need to label everything like you have.

Thanks again,
Eric
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Grady265 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:51 pm Thanks Kevin.
Switching the thruster feed to the starting bank will probably fix my electrical issues.
I need to figure out all the dc wiring. I have 3 isolation switches. Switch 1 is engine starting, switch 2 not sure yet but possibly the generator, switch 3 is the house switch and has battery 1/ battery 2/ and both. I need to label everything like you have.

Thanks again,
Eric
Switching the thruster to the start bank will prevent those electronics brownouts.

I label everything .. it makes sense and makes life easier.
20180713_170938.jpg
20180713_180819.jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Storing & Securing Cover Boards

Post by Pitou »

Here are some pictures that should help.
20200104_154658.jpg
20200104_154351.jpg
20200104_154634.jpg
20200104_154618.jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cabin Doors with Cover Boards

Post by Pitou »

20200104_154848.jpg
20200104_155023.jpg
20200104_162042.jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

The upper center forward helm is setup and ready for compass mounting.
SmartCraft.Compass.AP.jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Hardwired Caframo - Ultimate 747 12 volt 2 speed fan mounted in front of the Helm Pod:

It does the trick of keeping the windscreen from fogging up.

Helm Fan.jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member