• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE Displacement Cruising....is it just me?

Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, FL

28 TE Displacement Cruising....is it just me?

Post by Bluewater »

Is it just me, or does anyone else enjoy poodling along at displacement speeds. I run single handed most of the time and cruise along at 1800 rpm, 7 knots, no tabs.
Engine noise is muted, gph must (I really hope) be better, I imagine that I’m being nice to the engine, the autopilot seems happy, and I can relax and enjoy the passage.
I guess, having spent 40+ years sailing and 12+ living aboard, that sort of speed suits me and my passage making.
Of course, when my wife is aboard its fast planing speed or else...!
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Ex Albin 28TE 1994 Peninsular 300
Ex Albin 43 (Lehman) and many sailboats
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: 28 TE Displacement Cruising....is it just me?

Post by Tree »

I can see the enjoyment in it but just be cautious that you’re not running your yanmar too slow. It’s all about the piston speed not the crank output speed. I wouldn't advise it for long periods myself, as you will run the risk of honing the bores.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

We usually run continuously at 2800-3200 rpm but open it up to 3600 for a few minutes every time we leave the dock. With that stated, we occasionally take the boat out for a harbor cruise where the speed limit is 5 knots. Those trips last 1-2 hours. I've noticed no ill effects from operating at these speeds.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

I have to lean on the side that you shouldn’t always run it at 7 knots. It’s ok to do it for a while but take her up once in a while and let that Yanmar do what she was designed to do.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bluewater »

JKraft - I do exactly that. I probably run 60/70% at 1800 and 40/30% at 33/3400.
I certainly appreciate the advice so far - but what exactly is the engine problem with running at 1800? Always helps me if I understand the issue. Thanks again
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I usually run at slow speed when doing sightseeing charters in the Fort Lauderdale canals and the New River, mostly in Low Wake Zones, but also in No Wake zones, 15-1800 RPMs.
The Yanmar Manual says to “Race” the engine after running slow speed: I interpret that as disconnecting the transmission and rev it up to almost 4000 for a few seconds, probably to remove carbon build-up.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

I have the 6BT and can cruise at 1,200 or 1,300 and do 7 knots. According to fuel curves I should be about twice as efficient than at 2,400 cruse (rated RPM is 2,600).

I read an article about under-load from a boater who had a 40' bayliner with my Cummins engines. His basic point was that to make sure that your oil and water get up to temp even when you're at low speed:

We’ll be running our main engine at fairly low load for several weeks while we cross the Indian Ocean. Since this likely is below the manufacturer’s recommended range, we’ve been asked if we’re concerned about underloading the engine.
It is true that manufactures have a preferred and fairly narrow range over which a diesel engine is operated. There is good evidence they are correct that this is “best” in the absolute sense of the word. Some of the highest hour engines I have seen were running in near constant load generator applications. From an engine manufacturer perspective, their job is to tell you how to get the absolute longest life from your engine.
Recreational boats are definitionally used to have fun. Being able to cross oceans and see different parts of the world is fun. So, the ideal engine for a boat like a Nordhavn 52 will not be much bigger than 100hp if you focus on multi-thousand mile ocean crossings. We are, for example, currently operating at 80hp. However, few of us will spend much of our lives crossing oceans and having a boat where the top speed is just a shade over 6 kts kind of sucks. At least for us, as much as we like going 6 kts right now and know we are on track to successfully go over 3,000nm without running out of fuel, we also like running at 9 kts and getting to the destination in time to watch the sun set over a glass of wine. We did this a few days ago on our multi-day run to Dampier, Australia. The former needs 100hp and the latter needs more than 200hp. The ideal boat for most users will be able to operate reliably over a wide range of power levels and the ideal engine will last longer than most owners in this usage model.
More diesel engines are destroyed by overload than underload. It’s not a common problem in trawlers but overload still does happen. Where it is super common is in the planing cruiser market. Manufacturers prop to achieve high advertised speed. Owners then move their personal effects on board, install bait tanks, fill the fuel tanks, forget to the clean the bottom, and invite their friends to cruise with them. Consequently, over-propping is common and many Bayliners and Searays are trailed by thick clouds of black smoke. Looking at the Bayliners, their poorly-treated Cummins and Hino’s mostly soldier on. Some fail early and, if any engine has a weakness, overload is truly the fastest way to find it. One model of Cat used by Searay was particularly suspectable to overload-related failures and they were replaced by the hundreds. It was an absolute disaster that was hard on both Cat and Searay but I’m told all the lawyers were fine.

Overload is potentially fatal. Underload is less than ideal and requires more care. My general rule is take very good care of your boat and all mechanical systems, change your oil and filter often, run it up to full power periodically, ensure the water AND oil get to full operating temperature, and then have fun with your boat rather than letting it control what you do.
Our previous boat had a pair of 270 HP Cummins. We ran them near max to get to a cruising area and then cruised the area at displacement speeds where each engine was producing 20 to 30hp. Fuel economy was stupendous and needed to be since we only carried 220 gallons. We loved that boat, cruised all over BC, wrote a cruising guide, and put 4,100 hours on each engine. The engines continue to operate beautifully today and I expect they will continue to do well for a decade or more. They have spent much of their life under light load but they have been well-maintained, have lasted 15 yeas so far and will go well past 20 years.
The Deere 6068AFM75 in Dirona has averaged around 44% max output through its life. That’s actually a fairly high number given that you spend time moving around marinas, warming up, cooling down, putting through locks, etc. 44% is on the high side but we are currently running at only 80hp and will run at around that light power level for the next 3 weeks. The coolant is currently 178F and the oil is 194F. Slightly warmer oil wouldn’t hurt, but 194F is fine. Our engine operates like this frequently. It also spends considerable time up over 200 HP for long periods of time. It serves us over a wide dynamic load range and we love the boat and the engine for being able to do that and do it well.
Our Deere has 6,015 hours on it now and, in the unlikely event that it does die early, I’m confident it won’t be from underload. Personally, it’s nowhere close to the top of my worry list. We are going to unapologetically keep running near maximum output when we want to get in before nightfall and running near minimum output when we need to cross long distances.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bluewater »

Sisu22 - many thanks for a comprehensive response. I am anal about oil and filter changes and overload is highly unlikely for us. All good information.
But I am just a little confused - the Dirona (Nordhavn 52) that I know Is in Europe (insofar as I am aware) and it seems unlikely that you are about to cross the Indian in a 28TE (although I am poised to be deeply impressed!). Obviously I am missing something (sun’s way over the yardarm and the sundowner probably not helping.....)
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Sisu22, that is a great post. Thank you for your comments. This from an A25 owner with a 3 cylinder Volvo Penta.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Bluewater wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:22 pm Sisu22 - many thanks for a comprehensive response. I am anal about oil and filter changes and overload is highly unlikely for us. All good information.
But I am just a little confused - the Dirona (Nordhavn 52) that I know Is in Europe (insofar as I am aware) and it seems unlikely that you are about to cross the Indian in a 28TE (although I am poised to be deeply impressed!). Obviously I am missing something (sun’s way over the yardarm and the sundowner probably not helping.....)
Yes, just to be clear the author of the article was not me. He had the Bayliner and then I believe sold his boat and purchased a Nordhavn.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Morgan
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Columbia,SC

Post by Morgan »

We are also cruising a lot at low rpm for hours with our Yanmar.
I had a takeaway from a friend with a Tripp 26 Angler with a newish 4 cylinder turbo diesel engine: he was busy at work and would only get to the boat once a month. He cranked it, let it run at idle until warm, in gear at dock at 1/2 throttle to put load on the motor, and a couple hard blips of the throttle and he was done.
6 months of this, and he needed to go out on the boat. It had no power.
Replacing the turbocharger fixed the problem - the mechanic said that none of the things the owner was doing was really driving the turbo up to temp and the bearings stuck.
Because of his problems (and some other turbo diesel history) my take away is that industrial (as opposed to passenger cars or something) turbo diesel motors need 80 - 100 % load long enough to come to equilibrium at close to full load often.
If that’s every time or every other time they are run, I don’t know. But it’s not rare for them to be at full load.
I’m going with 10 - 20 minutes at 80-100% every time we’re out.
If that goes wrong, I’ll let everyone know.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”