• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 35 Te diesel tank cleaning

tayfunmeric
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Turkey

Albin 35 Te diesel tank cleaning

Post by tayfunmeric »

Hello everyone,

I wanted to take the diesel tanks out for cleaning. Did anyone do that? I think they are stainless steel. The boat is 2000 model and a lot of bugs and slime inside.

Any advice?
Thank you.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Albin 35 Te diesel tank cleaning

Post by WillieC »

If they are in fact SS, you are ahead of the curve. Goggle fuel polishing and bring your checkbook. No need to remove tanks, most of which were installed first with everything built around them, though I am no expert on your model.
loganmj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by loganmj »

I have a 35 TE as well and my tanks are Aluminum. I haven’t done the measurements yet to confirm but it looks like the tanks (middle one first) could come out thru the screwed down hatch in the center of the aft deck. On my boat that hatch has the covered storage for 3 fenders within it. If you don’t have to pull tanks, inspection ports could be installed to give easier access to the interior but I’m not sure how the tanks are baffled and that could complicate tank cleaning.

Just curious, how quickly are your filters fouling?
Mike and Shannon
Tonic
2000 Albin 35TE (galley up, no FB)
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370's
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

Ours are aluminum. We pulled ours the first year and Ruth and I were able to remove them in about 4hrs.

This is a good time to relocate your tank vents if they are still back by the transom. They pull in water in this location depending on sea conditions. Albin moved them forward in later years.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

If you plan to add acesss ports I would contact Luther's Welding who made the aluminum tankage for Albin during this build period. They can provide you with a schematic that will show baffle locations. They're really good people and specialize in marine tankage.

401-253-5550

Luther's
500 Wood St.
Bristol, RI 02809

http://www.lutherswelding.com
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
tayfunmeric
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tayfunmeric »

rcwhite wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 am Ours are aluminum. We pulled ours the first year and Ruth and I were able to remove them in about 4hrs.

This is a good time to relocate your tank vents if they are still back by the transom. They pull in water in this location depending on sea conditions. Albin moved them forward in later years.
Thanks, very good idea. They are at the back.
tayfunmeric
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tayfunmeric »

loganmj wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:03 pm I have a 35 TE as well and my tanks are Aluminum. I haven’t done the measurements yet to confirm but it looks like the tanks (middle one first) could come out thru the screwed down hatch in the center of the aft deck. On my boat that hatch has the covered storage for 3 fenders within it. If you don’t have to pull tanks, inspection ports could be installed to give easier access to the interior but I’m not sure how the tanks are baffled and that could complicate tank cleaning.

Just curious, how quickly are your filters fouling?
Thanks, the tanks were not cleaned at least 10 years if not 20 I would say. I bought the boat in June 2019 and trying to sort things out. The filters are fouled after 40 to 50 hours.
tayfunmeric
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tayfunmeric »

tayfunmeric wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:38 am
rcwhite wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 am Ours are aluminum. We pulled ours the first year and Ruth and I were able to remove them in about 4hrs.

Thanks, very good idea. They are at the back.
Where exactly should I move the? A photo would be great help
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

There are two vents per side. Center tank had two, one on each side. We put them just behind the water tank vents and haven’t had any trouble since.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
tayfunmeric
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tayfunmeric »

rcwhite wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:57 am There are two vents per side. Center tank had two, one on each side. We put them just behind the water tank vents and haven’t had any trouble since.
Great, thank you very much :D

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”