• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The only Albin 28 in Australia

Watto99
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Jackson

The only Albin 28 in Australia

Post by Watto99 »

Hullo everyone
My 60 year old boat of 35 years sank in March 2019
The only good thing that came out of this was an Albin 28 came for sale- I’d been looking at Albin 28 for years- in fact I ve been a member of AOG since 2013

So I did the only thing that was normal and I bought the Albin 28 over the phone
It was in the most southern windy cold and dangerous part of weather in Australia which was Tasmania - Cape Grim
9 months later I’ve had everything replaced -new Raymarine , prop cutters added, new Muir anchor winch , 500 w of solar, I could keep going until I went broke

I think this is the only Albin 28 sold in Australia- from Rhode Island to Sydney to Tasmania

And tonight with great excitement from me , my new Stars and Stripes paint job Albin 28 heads north across the Bass Strait - the most dangerous water r passage in the Southern Hemisphere - it’s the dangerous waters part of the famous Sydney Hobart yacht race

500 miles later - with an extra 800 litres of fuel) she should arrive in Sydney ( knock on wood)
Anyway hullo to everyone and please wish Felix bon voyage ( I’d include a photo but can’t work out how
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: The only Albin 28 in Australia

Post by DCatSea »

Good on yer mate. That's quite a sail plan and i wish you well.The Commodore (a Melbourne girl) has thankfully informed me that I can't do the Bass Strait, so I'll wait to see your pix (or at least read your log of the trip).

Stay safe.

Doug
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Fair winds and calm seas to you, Felix! What a great story.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes, WA

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Fantastic! How did the crossing go? I think you have the right boat for the job. Congratulations if all went how you wished!
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Wow!! What an adventure! Would love to hear about that crossing and see some pics... very cool!

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
Watto99
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Jackson

Post by Watto99 »

Many appliqués for the incredibly late response
The only problem that happened as Felix journeyed the. bass straight from Tasmania to Australia ma8nland was burst water pipe in the engine.
Despite me telling the shipyard to replace the ordinal 15 year old water pipes that didn’t
So the boat stopped working and drifted towards ann island
Luk lily emergency tape stopped the leak ( which quickly broke to starter Motor)

So the lesson is rep,ace all water pipes and carry a spare set onboard( which I’d told the yard to do but didn’t)

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”