• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engines out

ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabeck, WA

Engines out

Post by ESpiegel »

C5D26865-6ADD-49D6-893D-94804CF1B842.jpeg
3F2B11E5-8B1A-4E3C-B745-4C9F242170AC.jpeg
Pulled the engine today. As you can see it has a lot of rust on the engine, and the gear. It only has 170 hours, but has been neglected. It runs great, but now plan on doing a lot of maintenance with it out, then cleaning up the engine room.
Maintenance planned:
Aftercooler service
All hoses replaced
Belts replaced
Double fuel filter installed
All zincs
Inspect HX
Replace gear solenoids
Replace input torsion coupling
Repaint engine and gear

All of the engine work will be done at my house, as the local shop wanted $7k to do the maintenance with the engine already out. I hired Seaboard Marine as a consultant to help me finish the engine.

It seems that this boat was literally just slapped together when it was built and has many unfinished items.
There is no potable water plumbed to the water heater, no table supports (when used as a bed), very little sound dampening, and more. I have a long list of things that I know of, and will probably add more. If you look at the stern picture, you can see that the trim tabs don’t fully seat due to the wings being too tall. It’s a solid boat, just wasn’t finished.
Hopefully with the members help on this site, I can get pics of everyone’s boats and finish it the way it was supposed to be done.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Engines out

Post by Carl »

Shame that it was not cared for. Definite water line on the motor shows it sat in water for some time. Good luck and looks like you have your work cut out for you.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Eric - thanks for sharing these pics... you have your work cut out! Have no doubt, it's going to be a GREAT boat for you when you get these projects done. Keep us posted on the process... I find these kind of projects fascinating.

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin Mad Money
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Fun project for sure, you'll know her inside and out when this is done. Such a shame to see an engine like this, especially a QSB. Hopefully she's not plagued with gremlins. Great picture. That waterline was pretty high, any higher and the ECM woulda been flooded. I'm sure you're on it but be sure to change out that blue hose for the oil sump drain, I'm sure that fitting at the pan ain't pretty. And now is the time for a 250W Wolverine pan heater.

What's she got for a shaft seal?

I'd be replacing that tranny too. I know that's a big nut but this is all fun the first time, not the next.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ESpiegel »

2501F007-617E-4386-9729-3C087AB1A0D2.jpeg
RobS wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:38 pm Fun project for sure, you'll know her inside and out when this is done. Such a shame to see an engine like this, especially a QSB. Hopefully she's not plagued with gremlins. Great picture. That waterline was pretty high, any higher and the ECM woulda been flooded. I'm sure you're on it but be sure to change out that blue hose for the oil sump drain, I'm sure that fitting at the pan ain't pretty. And now is the time for a 250W Wolverine pan heater.

What's she got for a shaft seal?

I'd be replacing that tranny too. I know that's a big nut but this is all fun the first time, not the next.
She was running great when I pulled the engine.
I’m not sure what kind of shaft seal this is. It’s a dripless style, and doesn’t leak, but not sure the make.
What’s the purpose of the blue hose? Is that how the oil sump is pumped out?
Thanks, eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Lasdrop Dryseal.
Yes the blue hose is for the oil sump.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Hey Eric -

How's the project coming along? I'm curious for an update!

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ESpiegel »

Projects going well. Getting a lot done on the engine and the boat in general. Will be putting in the engine tomorrow and aligning it. Going to try and splash it by Friday.
Engine work:
New aftercooler
New hoses and belts
New water pump impeller
Acid flushed HX
Installed Wolverine sump heater
Cleaned up all corrosion and repainted
ZF gear completely rebuilt, painted and tested. New solenoids also

Boat:
Connected water heater to potable water and discovered every hot water connection leaked, fixed all
Cleaned and painted bilge
Straightened shaft and installed new coupler
Installed new engine mounts
Installed Seaboard double quantum fuel filter with priming bulb
Installed hose drains on all deck hatches
Recaulked stbd side pilothouse to deck joint to keep rain out of the bilge
2 coats of Pettit HRC bottom paint
Anti fouling on bow thruster
Anti fouling on rudder, skeg and swimstep supports
Moved thruster power from house batteries to engine starting batteries
Traced and labeled main power wiring and switches

I’ve been traveling a lot (gone 5 weeks so far this year), so when I’m home, I’m not really at home since the boats 2 hours away in Seattle.
Items left:
Reinstall engine deck hatch and seal
Install diesel Planar heater
Install engine soundproofing
Install compass
Stern steering and throttle for kicker motor
ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ESpiegel »

Also put in a pss shaft seal. Hopefully everything fits back together tomorrow. There is absolutely no extra room Between the gear, coupling and shaft seal. Previously, the coupling was rubbing against the shaft seal. I had the shaft shop (Prop shop in Mukilteo are awesome) take about .5” off the new coupling to make some room, but its gonna be tight.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Yea I noticed that in your shaft seal photo. No excess in the shaft log that could be cut back?

I see no mention of the isolators, did you go with new mounts? SMX or Barry's ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ESpiegel »

I went with the SMX mounts. Engine installed today and lit it off. Started up fine, but got a crankshaft EPS error. Would paint on the crank balancer cause that? Any way to test the sensor?
With the PSS bellows compressed, the steel ring is still riding on the taper and leaking. Thursday I will try and pull the bellows forward and try and cut an inch off of the shaft log. I can probably get the steel ring off of the taper the way it is now, but the bellows would be fully compressed.
I installed the seaboard double double quantum filter. It has a WIF sensor, but the connector doesn’t match what was on the racor. Any ideas, or other places to connect it?

Thanks,
Eric
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The engine position sensor is a magnetic pickup. Could have gotten knocked out of alignment and needs repositioning. Also check all connections are clean.

Correct, Cummins supplied the engines with the WIF connector to match a Racor WIF, not a Fleetguard.... Your DDQ kit didn't come with the needed WIF harness?. Contact Seaboard and they will sort it out.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ESpiegel »

D6CCC9D8-987C-4CF4-82BA-C6BFD183D6B9.jpeg
07A41EF8-E743-494B-9B77-4D8375A5D7ED.jpeg
EBF5D7F5-1793-443E-9098-59CDFB6BE160.jpeg
E90E2CB7-2577-47A1-84AD-C9B15DEDD672.jpeg
Splashed the Endurance today, and moved her through the Ballard locks back into the Puget Sound. Very glad to be out of the shipyard.
I replaced the Crankshaft sensor and it worked great after that. Ended up having to cut 1.5" off of the shaft log, which gave the shaft seal lots of room. It was a PITA, with everything already installed, but we got it done. Works great with no leakage. Engine purred and everything worked great. Still need to do a waterborne engine alignment.
Since my first sea trial, I had thought she turned sluggish. I checked the helm pump, and it was full. Check cylinder and everything looked good. Had my buddy check everything again today after we moved back into the Sound, and found that the tiller arm was cracked and was slipping. Brass key was all chewed up also and wasn’t holding it in place on the shaft. Luckily, we never lost steerage. New parts on the way.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

>> found that the tiller arm was cracked and was slipping. Brass key was all chewed up also and wasn’t holding it in place on the shaft.<<

How does that even happen? Some kind of terrible stress or impact? Congratulations on a successful voyage especially with that problem.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Nancy wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:04 pm >> found that the tiller arm was cracked and was slipping. Brass key was all chewed up also and wasn’t holding it in place on the shaft.<<

How does that even happen? Some kind of terrible stress or impact? Congratulations on a successful voyage especially with that problem.
Possible over-torqued bolt combined with age, vibration, salt and bad luck.. :shock:

Thx for the heads up, need to stick my head down there and take a good look.. :idea:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”