• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Heater addition to TE

Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes, WA

Heater addition to TE

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Has anyone added a diesel or engine water heater to a TE? If so do you have any strong recommendations? I fish the PNW and have NEVER had a need for AC. My, previously Florida based, 31 TE has a factory cabin unit that, as it turns out, is AC only. Her prior owner added an additional unit pilot house unit that is reversible AC/heat. This unit can convert the pilot house into a sauna, but requires 110 from either shore or the generator. . Short of running the genny for hours on end, I would like a quieter, economical, low heat source for the many hours I spend trolling. An engine coolant based system makes sense, but I usually alternate engines and don’t want two heaters. Also, it would be impractical while docked. A small diesel heater seems like a reasonable idea ... quiet, economical, always available ... but adds another ignition source to worry about. Would a properly installed diesel heater be any more of a concern than my present shore powered electric heater when going ashore for short trips? Thank you for opinions and suggestions.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Heater addition to TE

Post by Carl »

28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Thanks Carl! I had considered such a unit ... it sure looks nice in Anthony’s boat. I am more inclined to go with one of the Wallas units in the engine compartment. I thinking it might be possible to direct two ducts into the aft bunk space. Do you have any advice toward that possible end? Thank you again for your response.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Sorry, I don’t. Our cold weather use is limited to fishing trips in early spring, late fall. While at dock, reverse cycle unit takes care of the cabin. Small propane unit in the cockpit and canvas up, does the job for us when out fishing. This only happens about 10 trips a year, rest of the time we just dress accordingly 😀.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Mark - I have some friends who have diesel heater's in their boats (they type to install in the engine compartment) and they love them. Diesel heat is so nice, it really warms the materials in the boat and not just the air.

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Added a webasto diesel heater to my 31 which is also a Pacific NW boat. Is plumbed through the engine so it will preheat the engine on cold mornings and then when running, the engine supplies the heat to the water so the diesel unit is off.
It is nice to have heat on cool mornings. And if you are planning on cruising and anchoring up the heat is a must. Plenty of webasto dealers and installers around the Seattle/Anacortes area.
Recommend it highly.
Jeff Sharff
Nancy J
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Thank you Jeff! Your hybrid diesel heater sounds ideal. I appreciate the recommendation. Webasto is what I had in mind.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Jeff's got the money set up for sure...

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”