• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 TE Yan 6LP Engine Tech Questions

GulfTango
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Sarah Ann Bayou, Florida

Albin 28 TE Yan 6LP Engine Tech Questions

Post by GulfTango »

I am new to this forum because of my interest in purchasing an A28 TE with the subject diesel. For the engine box model if the engine isolation mounts are replaced how is the drive coupling re-aligned? Is it under the forward end of the engine at the transmission? How difficult? Do all A28 TEs with 6 LPs have the same transmission ratio? I read reports of top end speed of 15kt up to 20 kts. I got to go for a ride a few weeks ago in one of these and the max speed at 4k rpm was barely 15 knots. It was fully equipped including generator and I have no feel for the cleanliness of the bottom.
Thanks
GulfTango
Acadia 25 w/ Yan 4JH2-UTE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Albin 28 TE Yan 6LP Engine Tech Questions

Post by Norseman »

Cruise speed @ 3600 RPM with half tank and 2 people onboard about 17 knots on my boat.
@4000 RPM 21-22 perhaps.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, FL

Post by Bluewater »

On my boat, when planing, I cruise at 3,300 rpm at 14 knots in flattish water with 2 people up and 3/4 tank.
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Ex Albin 28TE 1994 Peninsular 300
Ex Albin 43 (Lehman) and many sailboats
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

3300 rpm on yanmar tach gives me about 17 knots. I know the tach is out but by how much at those rpms I’m not sure as I’ve not checked it at those rpms with laser tach.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Tree wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:57 pm 3300 rpm on yanmar tach gives me about 17 knots. I know the tach is out but by how much at those rpms I’m not sure as I’ve not checked it at those rpms with laser tach.
Forgot to mention, my tachometer is a digital flow scan type tach.
Also have a strobe light to calibrate the tach.

Max continuous, as in max Cruise on the Yanmar 6LP is 3600.
Some folks measure their cruise speed at 3800 RPM as “that is what the engine is rated for/at.”
Does not quite work like that: 3 different RPMs: Max Cruise, Rated Hp and WOT (Wide Open Throttle)
3300, 3400, 3200, etc is less than Max Cruise and may work based on best economy, best lift over drag, mpg, GPH, etc.
One of the members here made a graph for his boat and I did a similar “test-cruise” where wifey recorded all the parameters while I was “driving”.
Great idea, but the Albin 28TE is fairly light so all the numbers change with every change in weight, fuel on board, anchors/chains, beer stores, fat pax, etc. :shock:
I may be slightly underpropped, other members on this board may be slightly over propped, lots of variables.
All good.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
GulfTango
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Sarah Ann Bayou, Florida

Post by GulfTango »

Thanks to all for the speed information. How often do you change the engine mounts? Yanmar specifies only a few hundred hours. A couple of candidate boats had questionable looking mounts, hence the coupling alignment question in the original post.
Thanks
Thanks
GulfTango
Acadia 25 w/ Yan 4JH2-UTE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”