Flush Deck vs. Engine Box

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Like any boat, it comes down to what you use it for. I have an engine box, and we fish our boat probably 70% of the time. I would hate giving up the deeper cockpit and the bow up attitude when in sloppy conditions 12 miles off shore. I have been in what I estimated was 7-8 ft seas after a hurricane and was confident in my boat if I was a bit nervous about my abilities. Do not try this at home, your results may vary.
If you use your Albin as a picnic boat on a river or in a bay like the Chesapeake or Narragansett Bay, and only fish occaisionally then I would probably prefer the flush deck, with more room for seating and not worry about the lower gunnel height. For our use the engine box is equipped with 6 rod holders screwed to the sides that makes for inboard, secure rod storage. I throw a towel or some rubber shelf cover on the box and lay out the tackle boxes, lures, rigs and weights I'm going to use. We have some of those West Marine seat backs that make the box into a great lounge on the way back from the fishing grounds. All depends on your interests, there is no wrong answer.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Widowmaker
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Yarmouth, Maine

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:29 am

I have a 28 TE Flush Deck. 2006. 162 gal tank. She has no list. I have been on engine box 28s and know their ride. I think my boat reacts a little slower in turns and smooth ocean (could be psychological) but my flush deck is considerably more stable in rougher water. Perhaps the center of gravity is lower and gives the boat more weight down below the water ? There is a significant difference, and I like the stability offshore in Maine.

We fish a ton. We use stand-up gear for tuna and shark, and being able to move across an unobstructed deck helps when 3-4 folks are fishing. Also has a fold-down stern seat, and by adding several cushioned deck chairs, we can entertain easily for crusin' and dining.

Flush deck not for everyone, but is best for some. My cockpit is as big as a dancefloor !
Most importantly, "her majesty the queen" likes the flush deck.
Jim
Master Maine Guide
"Lillian" .... 2006 28TE Flush Deck
Yarmouth Maine

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”

• Information