• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

INTRO/NEW BOAT - and new to Albin (some early questions)

tconnelly254
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: New York Harbor

INTRO/NEW BOAT - and new to Albin (some early questions)

Post by tconnelly254 »

Hi all,

I've been observing here for a few months, but finally joined, as boating season is getting close. Towards the end of 2019 I purchased a 2002 Albin 35 TE Flybridge.

I am upgrading from my first-ever boat, which was an old late-80s Sea Ray Sundancer. So this is a big, big upgrade in many ways.

So ... it's nice to meet you all!

I have some early questions for the experts here, if anybody would be so kind as to offer some thoughts.

1. Moving from a 27' single screw gas engine, to a flybridge helm, much larger, diesel, twin engine vessel gives me great excitement but also great anxiety. I know I will have more control than ever, but creature comforts like docking by myself, or filling up the tank by myself seem to be a thing of the past. Any advice from others who have made a similar step up in size/layout/flybridge?

2. In May I will be taking at least a week and taking the vessel from it's current storage in Marion, MA to NY Harbor, making stops along the way. Thinking Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, Montauk/East Hampton/Sag Harbor. Any tips on must-see stops along this voyage? Any preparation tips on a maiden voyage in a new vessel??

3. I have always fancied a dark hull. This boat has a white hull. I am considering having a navy blue vinyl boat wrap affixed on this boat. Has anybody had experience with this? Is this looked down upon? I don't want it to look cheap.

4. The swim platform has been damaged in a squall that happened in October in it's MA berth. The repair is expensive. Any ideas on replacing the swim platform, versus paying $4k to repair?

Thanks guys! Excited to be a part of this community.

-Tom
PeterYOW
Mate
Mate
Home Port: FLL

Re: INTRO/NEW BOAT - and new to Albin (some early questions)

Post by PeterYOW »

Might be a good idea to check with the marinas along your route regarding fuel and slippage/dockage in light of the virus closures.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

re handeling a new2U larger boat: practice practice etc etc and then practice some more...when you get comfy you will find single handing is not out of the question...just stay focused.
(I spend a lot of time on an Albin 36 single and my 27 single both have no thruster and we both solo alot and the biggest obstacle to making cool entries is the damn wind..even a little can be a surprise.)
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Congrats, great boat, but make sure you hire a Captain if you are not sure how to operate the new boat in various conditions.
(If there is no wind, and no current, every boat is easy to dock, sadly we hardly ever see those unicorn conditions)
I teach and check out people new to boating, and have also been checked out myself when moving to bigger equipment.
It gets really expensive to make an honest mistake when docking at a busy marina..
Rule 1: Slow is cheap.
Rule 2: If in doubt, ask the marina to send line handlers or dock hands to your assigned slip before you arrive.
Rule 3: Tip them good for saving the day. :shock:

(I occasionally call ahead to marinas in the Bahamas for the Dock Master to meet me and assist with the lines if I single hand, doesn’t quite work as he shows up 3 hours after arrival. No rush Mon.. 8) )
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Makai
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bristol RI

Post by Makai »

Tom,
Congrats on the new boat, I suggest that on your trip south you stop at Standish Boat yard in Tiverton RI , Ken Hilton ( 401-624-4075 )is a great resource on Albin boats. He may have a swim platform lying around that will fit your boat. As for the wrap , I looked at a boat 2 years ago that was wrapped and it was horrible, looks like any contact will peel the wrap off , many scars on that boat and I was told it was from the tender. Good luck on the trip and I agree with the above post call ahead and make sure your next stop is still open and available. I made the trip from Hempstead NY to Bristol RI in my 31TE it took 9 hours running at 17 kt.s If you do stop by Standish they have transient moorings and possibly a slip with the best prices on fuel.
Doug
larryrotta
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: suttons bay, MI

Post by larryrotta »

Hi Tom,
I also looked into vinyl wrap for my TE28. Talked with 3 different installers in the Traverse City area. None of them were encourageing, most specifically I was told any place the hull is in frequent contact with water the vinyl will lift. Instead I found a good painter this winter. The boat looks new with a Corinthia Blue Allcraft 2000 paint job. Cost depends on prep needed but expect about $6-7K

Larry
2001 TE28. RAFFLES
370 Cummins AK bulkhead
ex RUDY DUCK
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Hi Larry, did that include painting up to the rubrail or up to the deck?
larryrotta wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:52 pm Hi Tom,
I also looked into vinyl wrap for my TE28. Talked with 3 different installers in the Traverse City area. None of them were encourageing, most specifically I was told any place the hull is in frequent contact with water the vinyl will lift. Instead I found a good painter this winter. The boat looks new with a Corinthia Blue Allcraft 2000 paint job. Cost depends on prep needed but expect about $6-7K

Larry
2001 TE28. RAFFLES
370 Cummins AK bulkhead
ex RUDY DUCK
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Post by jetter »

Hi Larry.
Any pics of new paint job. I'm sure it would increase my seller's regret.
Russell
larryrotta
First Mate
First Mate

Post by larryrotta »

Russell, I was Just thinking its time to call you...Glad you still follow the forum and I dont expect you are going anywhere this Spring so I will call you soon. Will send you pics in 3weeks or when we wheel
RAFFLES from the building. We also changed the bottom paint, type and color. She is now apple green underneath and yes she looks stunning.

Later
Larry
larryrotta
First Mate
First Mate

Post by larryrotta »

SiSu, I would describe rubrail and deck as in the same position. Entire hullsides painted. Bottom
power sanded with 80 grit Cost for prep and paint of bottom $1400. Cost of hullsides prep and
spray $6500. Includes cost of paint and materials. My painter is as yet undiscovered.

Larry
CTO203
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Guilford, CT

Post by CTO203 »

Tom -
Congrats on the new purchase - great upgrade.
Regarding your questions:
2a) Fishers Island Yacht Club is a great stopover before heading into Long Island Sound. It is a beautiful and secure harbor. I don't think they have fuel but the manager Lincoln is great and you can book online at: www.Dockwa.com.
2b) Only 30 miles from there is my home base at Guilford Yacht Club in CT, where you can get a transient slip and fuel directly across the river. We are right around the corner from the Thimble Islands in Branford, CT, which are a must see on the way through.
4) Definitely call Ken at Standish - he is a great resource and still has staff that are very knowledgeable about Albins.
Good luck with the journey and stay safe out there.
--Thad
tconnelly254
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: New York Harbor

Post by tconnelly254 »

Thanks all, for the replies so far. I have heard about Standish Boat Yard, as I actually used Jim Hilton as my surveyor prior to buying the boat.

Weren't a lot of these Albins built at that yard, or nearby?

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”