• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replacing factory wiper arms and blades

Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Replacing factory wiper arms and blades

Post by Jkraft »

I’m going to replace the wiper arms and blades on my factory wipers on the 02. I don’t want to switch to the pantograph yet. I would rather just replace what’s there. The arms really don’t have much tension any more and the middle arm does not retract when I open the window. Does anyone know what they are?

Thanks
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Replacing factory wiper arms and blades

Post by Norseman »

Jkraft wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:12 pm I’m going to replace the wiper arms and blades on my factory wipers on the 02. I don’t want to switch to the pantograph yet. I would rather just replace what’s there. The arms really don’t have much tension any more and the middle arm does not retract when I open the window. Does anyone know what they are?

Thanks
Yes, did that on my tub 2 years ago.
Look in my thread on Improvements, repair and upgrades Albin 28TE.
I posted pictures and details. (West Marine had the arms and the blades.)
The arms were corroded to the motor shafts, had to cut ‘em off with a hack saw blade. Labor of love, telling ya.. :mrgreen:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Spend the money now and go pantograph. It’ll be one of the best upgrades you’ll ever do. I’ve refitted three including my own and all the owners all said the same that it was the best upgrade bang for buck they ever did.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Norseman wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:26 pm
Jkraft wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:12 pm I’m going to replace the wiper arms and blades on my factory wipers on the 02. I don’t want to switch to the pantograph yet. I would rather just replace what’s there. The arms really don’t have much tension any more and the middle arm does not retract when I open the window. Does anyone know what they are?

Thanks
Yes, did that on my tub 2 years ago.
Look in my thread on Improvements, repair and upgrades Albin 28TE.
I posted pictures and details. (West Marine had the arms and the blades.)
The arms were corroded to the motor shafts, had to cut ‘em off with a hack saw blade. Labor of love, telling ya.. :mrgreen:
I should have thought to go to your thread. My boat and I thank you gratefully as always. Not sure what I would do without all of your help!
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Second what tree said
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Tree wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:32 pm Spend the money now and go pantograph. It’ll be one of the best upgrades you’ll ever do. I’ve refitted three including my own and all the owners all said the same that it was the best upgrade bang for buck they ever did.
It was actually one of your posts that scared me out of it. Did it end up being pretty easy?
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

I, too, recommend the switch to pantograph. LOTS more visibility. Only caution I have is when anchoring the pantograph arm. The “wall” thickness is slightly thinner above the Center windshield so be careful on the length of screws you use. Also consider removing the motors and their backplate and clean and lube the mechanism. You can also change the park position if you want to. Don.
Sixtfour
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buzzards Bay

Post by Sixtfour »

carolmarie wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:21 pm I, too, recommend the switch to pantograph. LOTS more visibility. Only caution I have is when anchoring the pantograph arm. The “wall” thickness is slightly thinner above the Center windshield so be careful on the length of screws you use. Also consider removing the motors and their backplate and clean and lube the mechanism. You can also change the park position if you want to. Don.
How do you adjust the park position? I have two that park in the middle of the windshield??

Thanks
2001 28T 300HP Yanmar
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Go here: http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... aph+wipers

This has links to part numbers and adjustment info
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

I did my wipers couple of months ago and agree, pantographs are a vast improvement over the old units. You can find the instructions for adjusting the motors (arc and park) online at marinco wiper motors. I put 18" blades on the sides and a 20" blade in the middle. Makes a huge difference. The middle motor had failed a while back and I replaced it with new 1.5 unit. The new units with metal housings are designed so you can adjust it after it's installed instead of the old way. One snag is that the new units are slightly bigger than the old ones. I had to do some grinding on it to make it fit.
Sixtfour
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buzzards Bay

Post by Sixtfour »

Thank you👍
2001 28T 300HP Yanmar
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Thanks
To your question of "what they are" .. that era Albin and on my 2002 - 28TE had Marinco / AFI motors with Marinco Adjustable "Deluxe" arms & blades (all stainless steel). Switching up to pantograph was always on my list, but replacement of the arms never became necessary so it never happened. In my opinion, which we all have them, if I were going to go through the effort of replacing the arms, I would taske the opportunity to switch things up.

Here are your links:
Marinco Adjustable Deluxe Arms: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pa ... id=4545220

Marinco Deluxe Blades: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pa ... id=4561317

Marinco Deluxe Pantograph: https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?p ... id=3357906#
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”