• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Chasing down a vibration

Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Chasing down a vibration

Post by Jkraft »

As the title states, I am going to jump into chasing down a vibration my boat has. For information purposes. It the Yanmar 6LP 315 Engine Box Model

When I bought it, it was there. The owner told me that it is due to hull design. I don't think that is true because they would all do it. The owner before him tried to do some things to fix it but its still there. Here is what it does:

It is smooth from idle to 2400 rpm. Once it starts coming up on plane I get a shake/ vibration up until around 2900-3000 rpm then it smooths back out nicely.

Here is what has been done:
Prop Tuned and Balanced
Cutlass baring and brass housing replaced
New Shaft

What I am going to check next:
Engine Alignment
Motor Mounts

Any other ideas on what to look for? Its odd that it is smooth unless in that RPM range of 2400-2900.

Thank you,
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Chasing down a vibration

Post by Norseman »

Try to go straight to neutral from 3000 RPM, if the vibration goes away immediately it may be engine/drive train related, if you have a few seconds vibration while the boat decelerate, it could be hull-related.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

I'm pretty certain the vibration has nothing to do with hull design. If there was a design issue, it would have been thoroughly discussed on this forum. My guess is that the source of the vibration is related to the motor mounts or drive train. If the motor mounts are original, it would be prudent to replace them anyway. Having one fail when you're underway is not fun.

Like most things, engine mounts start to sag as they get older, which affects engine alignment. I would start there. Please keep us posted on what you find.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Vibrations can come from various components.
Another place: A worn rudder bearing can cause vibration from prop wash. I had that issue and R&R'd on my 28.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Norseman wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:44 pm Try to go straight to neutral from 3000 RPM, if the vibration goes away immediately it may be engine/drive train related, if you have a few seconds vibration while the boat decelerate, it could be hull-related.
Will do!
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Ben423 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:43 pm I'm pretty certain the vibration has nothing to do with hull design. If there was a design issue, it would have been thoroughly discussed on this forum. My guess is that the source of the vibration is related to the motor mounts or drive train. If the motor mounts are original, it would be prudent to replace them anyway. Having one fail when you're underway is not fun.

Like most things, engine mounts start to sag as they get older, which affects engine alignment. I would start there. Please keep us posted on what you find.
Thanks Ben will do. Checking engine alignment and motor mounts this week. I can tell you this has been going on for 6 plus years or at least for the last two owners
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Pitou wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:07 pm Vibrations can come from various components.
Another place: A worn rudder bearing can cause vibration from prop wash. I had that issue and R&R'd on my 28.
Wow! There is a place I never would have looked. What are the indications of a worn rudder bearing? It does not have any play, or it didn’t last week when the boar went in.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Jkraft wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:13 pm
Pitou wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:07 pm Vibrations can come from various components.
Wow! There is a place I never would have looked. What are the indications of a worn rudder bearing? It does not have any play, or it didn’t last week when the boar went in.
Just like in the shaft bearing, if it's loose in it's housing the bearing needs replacing.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Welp, here is the verdict and the back story. Let me know what you guys think. The pro came out yesterday and came out for a ride. He said my problem is definitely in the drive train and it’s not the trans or the motor. So that’s good news.

He started with engine alignment. He disconnected the shaft at the coupling. The motor was pretty far off. Not sure how far off but he said the front of the motor was way too low. We got that corrected. He said the shaft was super easy to disconnect and push back which indicates that there is no binding. But we will need to pull the boat to see if the shaft is favoring one side of the cutlass over the other.

Once all back together he still wasn’t happy. He said it’s way better but it appears that the shaft and the coupling are not mated property. He said it’s as close as we can get it now. He recommends pulling the shaft and coupler this winter and sending them out to be machined and matched.

Here is the history on the boat (after lots of digging and contacting previous owners):

In 2009 the owner experienced vibration under way and stopped to check. Two of the bolts on the coupling had backed out and hit the transmission and sheered off. All were lose. He tightened the other two up and ran home that way and had it fixed. He claims the vibration was gone after that.

Boat then switches hands and there is a gap in history of a couple years. New owner buys it in 2014 and has the vibration. He tunes the peop and sends the shaft out to be checked at black dog. They said the shaft is perfect. He replaced the cutlass including the cutlass housing. Still has the vibration.

After motor alignment it’s still vibrating too.

Is it possible the shaft and coupling weren’t mated properly from the factory? There is a possibility that the shaft was replaced at some point but I doubt it.

Please note also that the shaft was checked, not replaced. I was originally told incorrectly

Sorry for the book I just wrote. What do you think?
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

What is "way better" - what were his final clearances? to how many thousandths did he get the couplers aligned?

When he slid the shaft away did he check the tranny flange for run-out?

Did he check the pre-load on the engine mounts?

Yes it is possible there was coupler to shaft runout from the factory if Albin did not have the coupler fit and faced to the shaft.

Also possible that in the other times the shaft was R&R'd that the coupler was not reinstalled true to the shaft or the coupler itself has runout.

I have seen perfectly tuned props get tweaked during reinstall because someone chocks the prop against the hull at the blade end rather than down at the root. This will twist a blade just enough for a vibration.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

RobS wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:50 am What is "way better" - what were his final clearances? to how many thousandths did he get the couplers aligned?

When he slid the shaft away did he check the tranny flange for run-out?

Did he check the pre-load on the engine mounts?

Yes it is possible there was coupler to shaft runout from the factory if Albin did not have the coupler fit and faced to the shaft.

Also possible that in the other times the shaft was R&R'd that the coupler was not reinstalled true to the shaft or the coupler itself has runout.

I have seen perfectly tuned props get tweaked during reinstall because someone chocks the prop against the hull at the blade end rather than down at the root. This will twist a blade just enough for a vibration.
Welp I basically can’t answer any of these questions. I do know he mentioned something about 4 thousands at the coupler.

Last guy had the prop redone twice and I did it once. Really feel like I’m shooting Into the air here. The guy working on it is the one that is supposed to be the best around here. Guess I’ll be calling him Monday
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

If your "expert" did not bring a dial gauge with him and take several measurements using it, I would question the utility of his efforts.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I had a vibration on FP2 for the first year that I couldnt track down until the engine was pulled for the infamous failed core plug that was dripping oil.

Turned out to be 2 sheared bolts on the crankshaft pulley - was causing it to run out and was only noticeable under load at certain rpms
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Bob Noodat wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:36 am If your "expert" did not bring a dial gauge with him and take several measurements using it, I would question the utility of his efforts.
He had a digital gauge with him and was there at least two hours measuring and adjusting. I just don’t know what he did..... I’m not the mechanic he is.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Tree wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:45 am I had a vibration on FP2 for the first year that I couldnt track down until the engine was pulled for the infamous failed core plug that was dripping oil.

Turned out to be 2 sheared bolts on the crankshaft pulley - was causing it to run out and was only noticeable under load at certain rpms
Thanks Tree! Will check that too
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”