• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

DRAINING THE RACOR - HOW?

Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, FL

DRAINING THE RACOR - HOW?

Post by Bluewater »

E63F363A-9463-4AC8-8D76-617A27174881.jpeg
Not particularly clear in the photo (of which I am unreasonably proud as it’s the first time I’ve attached one in this forum), but the RACOR bowl sits on a raft of tightly packed cables and hoses that are all on tight radii and would be next to impossible to move.
So I am unable to figure out how to drain the RACOR in the normal course of operation and maintenance.
Hopefully a talented and helpful Member will point out to me the obvious and simple solution that, as usual, I have missed......... :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Ex Albin 28TE 1994 Peninsular 300
Ex Albin 43 (Lehman) and many sailboats
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: DRAINING THE RACOR - HOW?

Post by Norseman »

There is a drain cock below the filter:
D1A5CF03-F21E-42EA-B7EF-6CE7EFC17CAC.jpeg
Don’t be shy, keep feeling around and you will find it... :shock:

That being said, horrible location, hard to see and hard to service.
Guess we are paying the price for having a compact high performance little boat. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bluewater »

I’m very familiar with Racors and the drain cock - I’ve had too many to count and usually under the cockpit or companionway ladder or on the “other” side of the engine - but I was younger, slimmer, and much more agile and bendy........
I can get to this one easily enough by tacking out the fish box. But the specific problem is that the drain is inaccessible due to the very tightly compressed hoses and wiring conduits upon which it sits.
Just wondered if anyone else had the same problem. I see that yours is clear underneath - I’m envious! Care to swap installations??? 😎
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Easy enough to remove it from the boat and either rebuild it or just give it a good flushing.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Agree with Rob. The hoses below are cast in stone, but the hoses attached to the Racor appear flexible, enough. Can you remove the mounting bolts and lift it enough to service? Maybe remount it a bit higher? Or buy Rob's boat?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

On my Albin they had it mounted perfectly centered over the stringer so draining it was not possible. I removed it for cleaning which is better anyway to get the bowl nice and clear of any sediment.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Do those SS bowls come with the bigger Racor's? My ancient 200 model has no such accoutrement. Not that there is any room in the A25. I like the concept of catching leaks.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The SS metal bowl is a heat shield and is supplied with any Racor units that have the plastic bowl in order for the filter assembly to get the marine rating by meeting the ABYC fire standard. Does your Racor have a plastic or a metal bowl? The 230RMAM Racor I installed for my genset has a metal bowl, so no heat shield.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks all. First I’ll try using any play in the fuel hoses to remove it from the bulkhead and clean/flush it. Then, in the relative cool of winter I’ll try and reposition it.
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Per Rob's question:

"Does your Racor have a plastic or a metal bowl?"

Mine is plastic and ancient. And no heat shield. It is from the era of discontinued 200 series assemblies. I can still get replacement filters and o-rings, but the rings are tiny in cross section and not easy to install. I think it may be time for an upgrade and I will likely go with the metal canister. However I do like being able to see if there is any water or solid crud in there. And these things aren't cheap (especially since the one I have is working just fine.)

The Racor we have is compact which is good since there is not a surplus of room for anything near the engine on the A25's. Also, the flow requirements for a 36hp engine are slight and most of the new filters will run 1000hp Cats. If it ain't busted....

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”