• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Windlass replacement recommendation

Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

Windlass replacement recommendation

Post by Tom Un »

Guys,

It time to replace the windless - what windless do you guys recommend? My Horizon 600 has finally given up and is very corroded so I think just replacing the motor is a bad idea.

Sincerely,

Tom
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Windless replacement recommendation

Post by Nancy »

Hi Tom -

Jump on this thread which also began yesterday. http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... =7&t=12527
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tom Un »

OK so I just ordered a Lewmar Pro fish 1000 - I understand I will need to seal the cases as they allow water in (not sealed correctly) and also ordered new rode and chain - 600 ' 5/8" rode with 20' chain - I also understand the needle bearings are lame so I will order back ups just in case - Got a good price and cant afford a better option for now. So happy with the fish hold - next will be a real bait tank but need a swim step first.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Tom Un wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:35 am OK so I just ordered a Lewmar Pro fish 1000 - I understand I will need to seal the cases as they allow water in (not sealed correctly) and also ordered new rode and chain - 600 ' 5/8" rode with 20' chain - I also understand the needle bearings are lame so I will order back ups just in case - Got a good price and cant afford a better option for now. So happy with the fish hold - next will be a real bait tank but need a swim step first.
I don't know anything about the case not being sealed correctly, but my ProFish 1000 has been on my boat since new and I purchased for the 2014 season. I run 125ft. of chain and 175 ft. of 8 strand plait with zero issues and I anchor "a lot".

With that short amount of chain on your new rode and mostly all line for rode I would not hesitate to utilize the freefall feature in deeper water. If you do utilize freefall just be sure to check the gypsy every now and then to be sure that it hasn't loosened.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

600' of 5/8" line with 20' chain will likely give you issues as to the anchor locker being too shallow and will require user intervention up at the locker when retrieving, especially if you have let out a good bit. When I replaced my rode on the 28TE I started with 600ft of 1/2" line and 50ft of 1/4" chain and it was a no go. Ended up trimming down to 400ft of line and 40ft of chain and it worked good, just needed to keep a portion of the line pushed to the sides of the locker or the chain would castle right up to the top of the locker. As you chose the 1000 model with the heavier line and chain this shallow locker will likely be even more of an issue for you than it was for me. Here's what I mean as to the chain castle on top of the pile of line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by RobS on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Good point Rob.

In my 28 I had 125 ft. of 1/4 inch chain and 175 ft. of 1/2" - 8 plait line. The plait would fall, but the chain would castle and need to be knocked down toward the end to get the last bit of chain in. Before switching to the plait rode I had 30 ft. of 1/4 inch chain and 300 ft. of 1/2 inch 3 strand line. With this setup, if I had a lot of rode out it would need to be hand managed in the locker to coil the rode.

To Tom - I know that you got a good deal on the ProFish1000, but I'd strongly consider the 700 with 1/4 inch chain and 1/2 inch line as that would be more appropriate for the 28TE locker size and more than adequate size wise. The difference in 5/8" line and 5/16" chain seems minimal, but over the length of the rode takes up considerable extra volume.

If you need a longer rode to fish offshore I'd consider a separate 3/8 inch - 600 ft. rode with 30 ft. of chain and an anchor ball. That's what I use, but with 35 ft. of chain to match boat length which is the minimum amount of chain that should be in used in any anchor rode.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tom Un »

Thanks guys - I just heard back from the Lewmar team and they state the new Gen 3 has no issues with cases leaking - so I just sent them the ID number to confirm mine will be a Gen 3 - too late on the rode size but will keep you guys posted.

Sincerely,

Tom U
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Re: Windlass replacement recommendation

Post by Capt Brad »

Tom,
I just replaced my 14 year old Lewmar fishpro 1000 with a Lewmar 1000 pro series. Didn’t like the free fall and in an emergency you can free fall the pro series by using the wrench . I did notice the new one does have a gasket for seal where my old one did not. I ran a bead of clear silicone sealant I’ve the gasket seam as an extra precaution.
Capt Brad
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Tom Un wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:34 am Thanks guys - I just heard back from the Lewmar team and they state the new Gen 3 has no issues with cases leaking - so I just sent them the ID number to confirm mine will be a Gen 3 - too late on the rode size but will keep you guys posted.

Sincerely,

Tom U

When did the Gen 3 come out?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tom Un »

Not sure but if the serial number start with 665 then its a Gen 3 - the older ones also had bearing problems so they up-graded the bearings and gears. Hopefully they slowed it down many people have stated it's too fast so the line would sometimes pop off. Cant wait to get it so I can test it out. Not sure if the free fall is for me but will find out.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Tom Un wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:51 pm Not sure but if the serial number start with 665 then its a Gen 3 - the older ones also had bearing problems so they up-graded the bearings and gears. Hopefully they slowed it down many people have stated it's too fast so the line would sometimes pop off. Cant wait to get it so I can test it out. Not sure if the free fall is for me but will find out.
Ok, sounds good.
Previous Owner installed a 700 ProFish June 2014.
Not sure of the serial number but it has been flawless.
It is a free-fall, but I realized the free-fall can be turned off, too much wear and tear on the gel-coat and fiberglass on the anchor platform if the anchor/chain goes out at 110 mph. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Post by Capt Brad »

I just used my new pro series yesterday. Couldn’t believe how quiet it is. Much smoother. Guess my old one was on last legs since I bought the boat a few years ago!
Capt Brad

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”