• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Picking the Right Tender?

WilliamForeside
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Falmouth Foreside, ME

Picking the Right Tender?

Post by WilliamForeside »

We have an Albin 28TE (1998) and we love it. We spend most of our time island hopping in Casco Bay. We have finally come to the conclusion that we'd like a dinghy to make island hoping a bit more convenient. We already have davits installed on the swim deck but we want to pick the right tender.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Any thoughts on the proper length? I have a family of 5 so I'd like to go as big as possible without being foolish.

Any opinions? Does anyone have an pics of their tender on their Albin?

Thank you,
Rafe
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Picking the Right Tender?

Post by Norseman »

I got this one for my A28TE
CB81A305-9F30-4399-A9D6-F8D68366B785.jpeg
About $2k from Defender.
One of the few dinks made in Japan, rather than China, quality seemed good, airfloor and blow up keel to save weight, 64 lbs.

Got a 3.5 hp Mercury to power it.
Good combo, but after a while we decided not to hang davits and sold the dink/motor.
(Change in plans)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I have a new slip neighbor with two 9' kayaks suspended on spreaders from davits. I'll post pix next time I'm there. Seems like a no-brainer. Yaks beat Zo-diacs.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WilliamForeside
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Falmouth Foreside, ME

Post by WilliamForeside »

We will likely only use it once a week so I am tempted to get the RIB-310 Compact from West Marine.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... --14460885

For $100 more the same boat comes with a single floor rather than a folding floor but it weighs more...
Kimotee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mattapoisett MA

Post by Kimotee »

Just picked up a Highfield CL260. Bought it as year end deal at a boat show for about $1850. At a little over 8 feet, we felt it was the right fit for the boat's beam. Only 3 person capacity. We are mid-70's, so at our age, keeping it light and stable were key objectives and a RIB inflatable does both reasonably well. We are now looking at davit systems. Looked hard at the Weaver system with swim platform clips, but the hassle of managing the engine and trying to swing the boat out of the water is a huge question mark. so thinking seriously about Kato davits.
https://www.highfieldboats.com/classic-260/
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

We just bought a Highfield RU250. PVC throughout; air floor. 8'4". 71 lbs. We're going with Weaver davits and will figure out the engine problem later. At the moment, it's a moot point since we only have an ancient 2HP Evinrude, and I don't think it's been run 25 years. I've come to the conclusion that every davit system has its pros and cons. No clear winner.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
tconnelly254
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: New York Harbor

Post by tconnelly254 »

If anybody is in the market for davits, I am selling my mint condition St Croix davits currently configured for my 35TE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”