• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow thruster oil change...?

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Bow thruster oil change...?

Post by Norseman »

Did a forum search, nothing came up. :shock:

Planning a haul-out next week and should do the Vetus 5012 oil change, probably due after 19 years..

Checked the manual, they explain how to, but no details on where the drain plug is and what size bolt/screw.
They list the “part number” for the oil, but the Vetus dealer does not show it, nor does anybody know if regular outboard gear oil can be used, or not.
Also planning to change the seal, but no instructions on how to get the old one out, but the part number is BP55A, the oil is BPEP90S.

My nearest Vetus dealer was purchased by Lewis Marine last October, not sure if the Vetus experts came with the transfer, or not, but the Lady I spoke to this morning was certainly pleasant and promised to call me back after she spoke to Vetus USA.

Has anybody done the oil and seal recently, if so, how did it go? 8)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Bow thruster oil change...?

Post by RobS »

Not recently but I did it back in 2008 when I first got my 28TE. The prop shaft seals were leaking. The drain plug is at the base of the lower unit, it's what the zinc is screwed into. Easy to see the drain plug in this pic with the eroded zinc.

See items 13 & 14 or 29 & 30 on pages 5 and 6 of the attached PDF file. The seals are shown on the same diagram too. It's a simple enough job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Ok, good info Rob S, just what I needed to know, thx.
I already ordered the oil seal before I saw the parts diagram, looks like I could use a new O-ring as well.
The oil change seems simple enough with the easy to get to plug.
Need a small container for collecting oil in the tunnel, will think of something.

The Vetus people said I could use regular outboard gear oil.

Also thought of swapping out the old 5012 for a brand new 6012: At the boat show the Vetus people said it is a direct replacement, but a dealer I spoke with in central Florida said there is some fiberglass work on the tunnel to be done as well. Sending both an electrician and a fiberglass guy would be $3k in labor and driving time, plus $3k for the 6012, total $6k :shock:

Sounds fishy to me, will call Vetus USA to confirm if there is required fiberglass work involved.
I get the thruster itself for a wholesale price of $1950, if no additional work required it would be tempting to swap out old for new.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Yes, on the outboard lower unit oil. It's not much to drain at all, just shove an oil sorb or pig mat under it.

Be sure to clean out any paint or growth build up from the hex head cover bolts with a metal dental pick or something similar so you get a good positive bite with your allen key wrench.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

RobS wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm Yes, on the outboard lower unit oil. It's not much to drain at all, just shove an oil sorb or pig mat under it.

Be sure to clean out any paint or growth build up from the hex head cover bolts with a metal dental pick or something similar so you get a good positive bite with your allen key wrench.
Yes, good point: Will do.
Thx again. 8)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

You have this external reservoir, right? As far as I know the model 50 is the only one with the external reservoir. I unscrewed the bracket and dumped it into a container before pulling the drain plug.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

RobS wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:25 pm You have this external reservoir, right? As far as I know the model 50 is the only one with the external reservoir. I unscrewed the bracket and dumped it into a container before pulling the drain plug.
Excellent idea, why did I not think of that? :shock:

Boat is on the dirt now, will start the project tomorrow.
I see no signs of oil leaking from the front seals, perhaps I should leave it alone, especially because Vetus does not supply the 45mm o-ring anymore. :(

Got a new prop today, local dealer had it in stock, 0089 model number.
EE334E94-F610-48A3-8492-44579957BBCA.jpeg
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Bummer, my sexy new turbine like prop did not fit: Got the wrong part number. (The only difference is shaft size, turns out my shaft has 2 sizes, the older model, pre-98 has a straight shaft with a uniform diameter, my bad, did not measure the shaft at the prop end and at the tail end)
Can’t return the 6 blade prop as I already coated with with anti-fouling.
Selling it instead for half retail ($130) $65.
Never used, never installed, but has Prop-Coat on it)
If you have a pre 1998 Vetus 5012, this prop is for you.
(Call Vetus first with the model and serial number thruster and ask if a 0089 will fit your thruster.)
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

eBay ad for the little grey prop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154017044070

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”