• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Seeking Advice: Auto Pilot

WilliamForeside
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Falmouth Foreside, ME

Seeking Advice: Auto Pilot

Post by WilliamForeside »

I own an Albin 28TE (1998) with a 310 Yanmar and a SIMRAD navigation system. I would like to add auto pilot. Does anyone have any strong opinions about the ideal system for the Albin? I will likely install it with the assistance of a trusted marine mechanic/electrician... I am trying to determine the most appropriate system for my Albin.

Thanks!
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, FL

Re: Seeking Advice: Auto Pilot

Post by Bluewater »

I have a Raymarine autopilot on my 2000 28TE (Yanmar 6LP). I use it 90% of the time when traveling and, should I wish it to, it connects well with my Raymarine MFD (although I never slave the waypoints to the autopilot as I’m an old-fashioned navigator).
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Ex Albin 28TE 1994 Peninsular 300
Ex Albin 43 (Lehman) and many sailboats
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Got an ST 5000 autopilot, dealer installed in 2001: Works well, but a tad slow perhaps.
Got it hooked up to a Garmin 1040XS plotter.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

My experiences are not vast, as I've only had Simrad autopilots, but I really do like the equipment. I've always had them networked to the GPS for navigation and in this day and age I wouldn't do it any other way, but that's just me. :wink:

I've had my Simrad AP units networked with Simrad, NorthStar and now Furuno GPS units and have never had an issue with integration and compatibility. My current AP is a Simrad AP25 from the 2006 - 2007 era No need to upgrade. Also, be sure to consider rudder feedback as a must have. It's nice to know the orientation of your rudder when you first startup and even at anchor.
Last edited by Pitou on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

Post by Tom Un »

I installed the Simrad AP-44 - added Rudder feed back - still have to dial it in as It wanders in mild wind and mild following seas but beats having to constantly steer - I don't need that extra exercise any more.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Tom Un wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:00 am I installed the Simrad AP-44 - added Rudder feed back - still have to dial it in as It wanders in mild wind and mild following seas but beats having to constantly steer - I don't need that extra exercise any more.
Does it wander when navigating to a set waypoint or just when the AP is set without a waypoint to navigate to? If it's the later, that would be the norm as there is no set point to navigate to. I always set to a specified waypoint and have no issues of wandering .. even on an often traveled 80 + mile run.

Having a metal object near the rate compass can interfere with the AP. In my 28 when running the microwave with the AP on the boat would get real squirelly on its set course .. that was interesting the first time that it happened.

Learning an AP's features beyond straight navigation is pretty useful too, such as how to make it do a U-Turn for a possible man overboard situation or the one that I like to use often is the "Lazy S" .. very useful for fishing while on the troll.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes, WA

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Hello William. Last year a I had installed a new dash, with all new components (MFD X 2, radar, vhf, 3D finder), by an “expert” who I believe really does possess expertise. For a couple of reasons we went with Furuno, and I have been very pleased. I want to add AP next and he is steering me towards Simrad for that. I was surprised he did not recommend keeping it all Furuno, but he didn’t. Anyway, I will continue to heed his voice of great experience and perhaps you might consider it as well. Good luck!
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I had Simrad autopilots on previous boats, good stuff, but what impressed most was the last boat, before the Albin 28TE: Dealer installed a Garmin a/p with a “smart pump”, worked really well with a great control panel/display.
The a/p was $4k with another $1k for installation.
Highly recommended.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

I had a new garmin autopilot installed in October and LOVE it. Very user friendly and works perfectly
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
WilliamForeside
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Falmouth Foreside, ME

Post by WilliamForeside »

This feedback is so helpful. If I go with Simrad I am leaning towards the AP44 Medium Capacity for my Albin 28TE... My installed suggested possibly going with the High Capacity? Does anyone feel strongly about Medium vs. High Capacity?

Thanks everyone!
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

I'm thinking of installing an autopilot, the Garmin Reactor 40 with smartpump and GHC20 display for my 28TE. Any feedback, good or bad, on this unit?

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”