• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 info?

johngus
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: amity harbor NY

Albin 28 info?

Post by johngus »

Hello
I am looking for a 28 currently.i have read to stay away from the peninsular engine and the yanmar is the best choice.whats everyone's opinion on this.i see one online that's a 94 with a 12 valve 250 Cummins. Sure the Cummins has to be the best choice but what kind of performance would be expected from the peninsular,yanmar or Cummins?any issues ti look for in the hulls.is there anything common?I'm looking for a long term cruiser to keep for many years to come.
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Re: Albin 28 info?

Post by MerryKate »

John- I can speak to the performance of a motorbox 28TE with the Cummins 250B. It does well, but is probably the minimum required for this boat. In my experience, it takes about 200 HP to get these hulls really up at the stern and cruise well - about 17 kts for a relatively lightly loaded boat, and about 10 gal/hr. For the 250B that’s about an 80% load - the most you want to ask out of this engine for long-term cruise, and only then assuming it’s propped correctly. The 315 HP 6BTA5.9M2 was a popular choice for the 28TEs during that era, and gives an extra turn of speed and/or room to load up the boat more with generator, A/C, full baitwell, etc. again, propping to exceed rated rpm for the load you’re carrying.

I happen to have done well with the 250B though, cruising at 17 kts and topping out about 22 kts. My boat’s relatively light on equipment and propped somewhat aggressively to about 2650 rpm WOT fully loaded.

Being higher revving/lower torque than the Cummins, the Yanmars are quite different beasts. They behave more like gas-motors, running WAY smoother than the Cummins B engines, as well as more manageable at slow speed due to the smaller prop. This at the expense of many more moving parts than the Cummins. The old mechanical injection Cummins B engines are probably the most dirt simple and reliable motors in their class ever made. Not nearly as refined as Yanmar, but we love that smelly old American iron LOL!

I have no experience of the GM Penninsulars, but from what I understand parts are hard to find now, which is not the case even for the 20+ year old Cummins. I assume Yanmar is the same with their extensive support network.

Good luck in your search for this great boat!
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

John:
My 2001 engine box has the 300HP Yanmar. We’ve owned it since 2003. (MerryKate, you should be pleased with the speeds you get with your 250, I get essentially the same with the Yanmar.) We are very pleased on how the Yanmar has performed. It has been super reliable, not a single malfunction incident that caused us any inconvenience in some 1000+ hours of operation. We follow all the recommend maintenance. We did have to change the raw water coolant pump.
Good hunting; the 28TE is an excellent sea worthy vessel.
Don.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Our experience with a Cummins 250 is a little different than MerryKate's. We cruise around 2250 RPM with a speed of 18 knots. Top speed is 23 knots at 2785 RPM. We run a lot at 2250 RPM, and fuel consumption averages 4.5 GPH tops. Boat is not lightly loaded. Fuel tank is often 5/8- 3/4 full or more. Water tank is often full. Boat has an air conditioner. We don't feel the boat is underpowered. The Cummins is noisy, though.

Peninsular has an undeserved bad rap. Do some searches on this forum and you'll find lots of good information.

As for things to watch out for, these boats are aging, and many have balsa-cored hulls and topsides. Check carefully for water intrusion and wet coring. We rebuilt our transom a few years ago. We've re-bedded one porthole so far.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
johngus
First Mate
First Mate

Post by johngus »

looked at a 1998 28 TE today with the peninsular beast 300 HP.owner has paperwork stated it was replaced in 2005 with a new engine direct from Peninsular.currently has around 600 hours.it started cold with no smoke and we took a ride.he runs it usually at 3000 RPM and it ran 16-17knots.says will go out to 3600 which we did for a quick couple minutes but seas were not cooperative.boat is clean,no a/c heat and no windlass.has working furuno electronics with radar,.anyone know when the engines with the cracked blocks were resolved.I would think by 2005 should be the newer better AM general engines?really impressed with the ride even in rough seas on long island today.should I worry about the peninsular or jump in?its priced correctly I think.waht type of GPH should I expect with the peninsular?the engine was very clean with no leaks.new oil and tranny coolers.thanks for any help
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: newport RI

Post by jaybap »

john, whats your budget. I might be listing my 28' flush deck shortly. 490 hours on a 315 yanmar. new awlgrip paing in the spring. Very clean.
2004 28' Albin FD "DOG DAZE II"
johngus
First Mate
First Mate

Post by johngus »

around 50K.please let me know though.may stretch the budget for the right boat
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Have just put Osprey for sale. 2001 flush deck, Yanmar see listing in sale/swap forum.
Don Yearwood
Don

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”