• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE rebuild or replace

Fastyvr
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Gibsons, B.C. Canada

28 TE rebuild or replace

Post by Fastyvr »

If you could start fresh, which diesel engine would you put in an engine box model 28?
The 2002 model (6lps-stp) i was trying to buy locally had water ingress issues, lower compression and a bad turbo. The history is suspect with a new timing cover, crank seal a few years before. . Here in the PNW of Canada, its $25-30K for a full Yanmar rebuild with a one year warranty. Im trying to find an opportunity in this. Should i stick with looking for a replacement 6lpa? or a Peninsular ? new Merc Marine Diesel? (don't want to get into hull mods)

do i just look for a better boat?

all suggestions appreciated

thanks much.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: 28 TE rebuild or replace

Post by Jkraft »

Is this a boat you have not bought yet?
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

I like the Yanmar 6lp in my 28 Engine Box. Relatively quiet, good mileage. Did you consider any of the three 28's currently for sale on YW in Washington? Might be less hassle than buying a project and rebuilding...
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Depends if you want a project... since it was setup for Yanmar, I think that would be the easiest.

If you don't want a project / labor of love, just get one that is turnkey.

I like the Cummins personally, but any cost savings would probably be offset with the modifications you'd have to make to get the Cummins to fit. Don't for get about the gear, did that get soaked as well?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
ysbran
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Orange Beach, Al

Post by ysbran »

My 28te sank in canal this past summer. The Yanmar dealer quoted a new replacement engine for 27,000. There is a shop in Pataka, Fl that quoted 14,500 to rebuild mine. For all the work that was needed I bought another 28te that was in great shape. It was cheaper in the long run to buy one that was ready to go. My replacement 28 is powered with the Cummins. Numbers seem the same but the Cummins is a bit more noisy than the Yanmar. Hope this helps
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

$27k seems about right.
But it has to be a replacement for a previous Yanmar due to emission regulations.
(Earlier this year I bought a brand new big car, made in Germany with a modern turbo engine, 4 wheel drive and good technology for $28,500.)
Guess the Yanmar diesel is a bit overpriced, but we don’t have much of a choice do we?)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
johngus
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: amity harbor NY

Post by johngus »

I see if you google yammer 315hp you can buy a bobtail for 18k. Looks complete with everything new
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

johngus wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:09 am I see if you google yammer 315hp you can buy a bobtail for 18k. Looks complete with everything new

Not sure what a bobtail is, but freshly overhauled Yanmars are readily available on ebay, seen them between $12 and $20k.
I was told that to buy a brand new Yanmar from a dealer it needs to be a direct replacement, the prices I was quoted for a new engine was around $30k plus another $5 or so for installation.
Because of that I baby my Yanmar, lots fo love and no abuse.

Met a guy last week with twin 6LPA-STPs, we chatted about maintenance, turns out he never replaced the engine zincs and knew nothing about the timing belt replacement requirement or exhaust elbow limited life as per Yanmar’s maintenance guidelines. :shock:
Perhaps he is lucky, or the engines has internal corrosion, hoping he is lucky..
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

June 2020 ad from a powerboat forum:
Pair of Yanmar 6 LPs, 315 hp with ZF 63A transmissions. Around 550 hours. Still in the boat. Need to be cleaned and painted. All coolers good. Going outboard. $16,000 for the pair.
ysbran
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Orange Beach, Al

Post by ysbran »

The Yanmar dealer told me the same thing about the direct replacement and you got to have your core. The dealer said they destroy the core.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Fastyvr wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:50 pm If you could start fresh, which diesel engine would you put in an engine box model 28?
The 2002 model (6lps-stp) i was trying to buy locally had water ingress issues, lower compression and a bad turbo. The history is suspect with a new timing cover, crank seal a few years before. . Here in the PNW of Canada, its $25-30K for a full Yanmar rebuild with a one year warranty. Im trying to find an opportunity in this. Should i stick with looking for a replacement 6lpa? or a Peninsular ? new Merc Marine Diesel? (don't want to get into hull mods)

do i just look for a better boat?

all suggestions appreciated

thanks much.
How much did they want for the boat as-is?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”