• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE with gasoline engine

ccboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Woods Hole, MA

28 TE with gasoline engine

Post by ccboater »

I'm in the market for a 28 TE's and recently came across a 2001 28 TE Newport Edition with a Mercruiser 8.1S Horizon fresh water cooled (gasoline) engine for sale. What does everyone think of these engines vs. the diesel options? I've seen some posts comparing the different diesel engines, but not much about the gasoline engine. It looks like it has more horsepower than the diesels - does that translate into faster acceleration and higher top end speed? How is the reliability and how economical are these to run? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Scott
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Re: 28 TE with gasoline engine

Post by Sisu22 »

I think I've only heard of one other TE with gas power. Was it factory?

Even the 8.1 probably does not have the torque of the diesels that they put in these boats, but I don't have any actual performance numbers. Did they advertise performance figures with the boat?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
ccboater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ccboater »

No real performance information. Just "She gets up and goes much faster and quieter than her Diesel powered twins. The owner loves the smooth ride of this vessel!"

It says the engine is the same year as the boat, so I'm assuming it's original?

<can be found on Yachtworld>
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Never heard of a gasoline Albin 28TE before, wow.
Not my cup of tea however, always a risk of gas fumes and an explosion with inboard gas boats.
No idea why somebody would chose it.. :roll:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

The first pic in the YachtWorld post if of the boat tied to the fuel dock... kind of ironic.

There are pro's and con's of gas versus diesel. I prefer diesel for longevity, safety and dependability. How do you hope to use your next boat?

Anthony Warren
1999 28 Albin MadMoney
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

This isnt the only one that was built with a gasser. There was another one lurking around yachtworld a couple of years back. I personally think that at that price point you should keep looking for a diesel boat. It will be much more sellable when the time comes and with gasoline the way it is today now that more states are introducing ethanol, all it does is cause problems. I am not sure what he claims his top speed is with that motor but you cant run a gas motor as hard as a diesel. You may get that short burst of excitement but can't hold it there.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I’d say the boat will make 30 knots with 370hp and it should be lighter.

You can achieve just shy of 30 knots with a yanmar diesel in these through a 1:1.5 transmission and that’s with 70hp less

Interestingly though, the advert also says that a yanmar diesel is also available.

Personally for me at the money asked, I’d be looking for a good relaiable diesel version and live with 17 knots cruise and 22 knots flat out although that does vary boat to boat.

Not sure how it is in the states but we loathe mercruisers here in the U.K. They’re like one big expensive anode whether they’re diesel or petrol!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
ccboater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ccboater »

Thanks everyone for your responses - it's been very helpful. I've decided to pass on this boat and will keep looking for a diesel. This forums has been a great resource for me in making my decision to find an Albin 28 TE and I'm looking forward to sharing my own experiences and getting more help from this group once I have one.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Good choice, CC. You will find a good one, I'm sure.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

My opinion, no way a big block V-8 is quieter than Yanmars, esp not at 3,000 RPM. 850 hours is also tired for a gas engine like that.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
GulfTango
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Sarah Ann Bayou, Florida

Post by GulfTango »

I also saw that boat. That is a really popular engine in other marine worlds. The specs for that era ( 2001) seems to be around 370 hp. I suspect the gas engine/transmission combo would weigh less than the Yanmar.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”