• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Why stern heavy?

Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: San Diego Ca

Why stern heavy?

Post by 195752 »

My Albin 28TE has the engine box so I assume the engine is set back more than the flush deck version. My fuel tank is aft; my live well is aft and I have a kicker on the stern. So, before filling all tanks to go fishing; my exhaust outlet was only half under water. Now, I have submerged the exhaust! and that is without additional fisherman. I don't like the situation and do not want to back flow water into my engine. I feel it is an accident waiting to happen... Anyone have a similar situation or have any thoughts about my concern??
"Not very happy"
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Why stern heavy?

Post by Norseman »

Which engine?
I heard a few Cummins had water up the exhaust, but no Yanmars, to my knowledge.
I also load up the boat with full fuel and big cooler in the back full of ice and beer, but no kicker and never use the bait well tanks, still tail heavy but on plane it should lift enough to clear the exhaust?
(Never looked while going 17 knots, but thought so)
After a few hours the boat is lighter in the stern and the exhaust should clear.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

5602F418-0FFE-4135-A36E-BD0033812BD7.jpeg
Exhaust port showing above water with less than 40 gallons in the fuel tank. Needless to say it is submerged with full fuel and pax/stores aft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

I am the same as Dag. Low on fuel and on dinghy on the stern and its above. Full Fuel with the dinghy its under.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

195752 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:14 pm My Albin 28TE has the engine box so I assume the engine is set back more than the flush deck version. My fuel tank is aft; my live well is aft and I have a kicker on the stern. So, before filling all tanks to go fishing; my exhaust outlet was only half under water. Now, I have submerged the exhaust! and that is without additional fisherman. I don't like the situation and do not want to back flow water into my engine. I feel it is an accident waiting to happen... Anyone have a similar situation or have any thoughts about my concern??
"Not very happy"
The 28 TE was originally designed to be an engine box model not a flush deck. When the marketplace was demanding more cockpit space Albin moved the engine forward and higher which presented some handling issues that took a Albin a couple of seasons to work out .. that's where the smaller rudders came in.

As far as the exhaust on the engine box model: as stated above, yes the exhaust does get pretty well submerged when the fuel tank is full. The onky time that I would fill my tank was if I was taking a pretty long run and would be burning a fair amount of fuel or at season's end for winter storage. Otherwise I would normally only fill to 5/8 full.

When headed out fishing, either on anchor or on the drift, I would always leave the engine running to prevent that rogue wave from finding its way backup through the muffler , exhaust tubing, the exhaust elbow and finally into the turbo. On the upside and from what I've seen on my 2002 28TE and forward, Albin used Centek Vernatone mufflers which have bafflling which significantly aid in waternot being pushed through.

Here's a picture of my 28TE with just under 3/4 of a tank:

CIMG0907 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”