• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hull Paint

Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Hull Paint

Post by Jkraft »

Hi all, I asked this over at the facebook group but will ask here too. I have had my 28 for a year and have detailed it 3 times and the oxidation seems to come back faster on the hull every time I do it. I think it is getting close to time for a paint job. I am probably going to aim to do this next fall. I will probably stick with the same dark blue color for the hull but does anyone have any photos of Albin TE models in different colors? Just curious to see some photos. Now would be the time to change it up if I wanted to.

Thank you,
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Hull Paint

Post by Tree »

Wet sand first my friend. It’s getting under that first coat that’s bad is the key. Cut it right back and just keep loading that wax in.

On the other hand. I share your pain, every year when it comes to refit the boat looks bad up close. 5-6 hours work and she looks like new, but.

Next year I am considering vinyl wrap. Cut the hull back so she is nice and clean then wrap it with the same colour. 8-10 years is what the manufacturer is saying before requiring replacement. About £1500 to do and will require no polishing or waxing for the time it’s on the boat.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

You mentioned dark blue. When I had my 28 repainted a few years ago, I was surprised that the dark color I wanted was not navy blue but flag blue. I was glad the marina manager showed me the color chart.
By the way, I tried for years to wax, polish, buff and use "miracle cures" from the boat shows but when it needs a paint job it's the only solution.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

So here is where I’m at. It takes me a couple weekends to do a really good job detailing the boat and it seems to last a few months.

I hired someone 4 weeks ago to do the whole boat to the tune of $1600. Looked great. 4 weeks later the hull oxidized. I called the detailer and he said the boat really needs a wet sand. For that process I’m looking at another $1600 for the hull only.

I feel like If I wrap it’s temporary and will cost around 2k here. Also most slips I’m in are floating docks which are a side tie and I raft up with other boats often. I just wonder how the wrap will handle that.

If I paint it I’m looking at around $6500 and won’t have to do a thing to it for a long time. To me it seems like a good investment but I just can’t tell if I’m missing something
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. If I paint it I’m looking at around $6500 and won’t have to do a thing to it for a long time. To me it seems like a good investment but I just can’t tell if I’m missing something
A good paint job for that price is a bargain.
You got nothing to lose, just make sure you get a warranty for a year or two in writing: In case the painters are idiots and the paint starts flaking off shorty.. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

I nterested to hear what products were used to buff and wax or seal gelcoat please. gonna try it this year. Thanks Bob
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Jkraft wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:34 pm

I feel like If I wrap it’s temporary and will cost around 2k here. Also most slips I’m in are floating docks which are a side tie and I raft up with other boats often. I just wonder how the wrap will handle that.
Wrapping is getting to be a big deal over here now - many people are wrapping from new so when they come to sell the boat, just remove the wrap and the gel underneath is pristine.

I know a couple of commercial work boats that have been wrapped for just under 2 years now and they still look good. I've even seen it done below the waterline with a high silicone content wrap on racing yachts and appears to be as good if not better than antifoul.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Mine cost $7000 about 7 years ago. That price seems right.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

May 2019, AwlGrip (Flag Blue)on my 28 TE was $8,423.27
Perfect job. Looks incredible.
Onset Bay Marine
Buzzards Bay/Cape Cod
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Wow!!! It's amazing how much the cost of painting the hull of a 28 can vary. In 2015, I was getting quotes between $16,000 - $1,8000 out here in Seattle.

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin Mad Money
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Mine was $6500 seven years ago and except for dings and some fender rash all of which were my carelessness, the paint job looks as good today as the day it came out of the paint spray booth. Maintenance is MINIMAL requiring only Awlwash and Awlgrip’s polymer to keep the paint fresh.
I have no regrets going with paint. Don.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I was priced $200/ft all in for my 28TE about ten years ago. I did the quick math and figured I could pay a detailer to do the hull every spring for quite a long time and still come out ahead so that's the route I went way back when.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

RobS wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:44 am I was priced $200/ft all in for my 28TE about ten years ago. I did the quick math and figured I could pay a detailer to do the hull every spring for quite a long time and still come out ahead so that's the route I went way back when.
Thanks Rob, my detailer charges $1600 a detail. I felt at that price that I would be better off painting it. Especially seeing that the detail job isn't lasting very long.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

$1600 is strong money - is he driving a Bentley to work?

Full boat detail here in the U.K. is about £400 so $500 or so?

If it were me I’d really suggest wet sand first. Once you paint you can’t go back, hence why I’m considering vinyl wrap but then I’ve not had mine wet sanded...yet!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I was paying $10/ft, rub rail down
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)