• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Are Albin TEs unsinkable?

ksquared
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Richmond,CA

Are Albin TEs unsinkable?

Post by ksquared »

Hi,
Sadly I just read from a fishing club I am part of that an Albin 31 sank yesterday off of Point Bonita (just north of the Golden Gate). It sounds like heavy fog was a factor as other boats reported and the Albin ran aground onto rocks there. Some heard the Mayday go out and coast guard responding, but it sounds like all were rescued. Others reported hearing over the radio that they were taking on water and the boat was sinking as they were trying to deploy their life raft. At least they had a life raft, as I do not have one aboard but rethinking that one now.

I assumed Albins were unsinkable but reading this I am not sure if they are.

Kevin
Last edited by ksquared on Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Are Albin TEs unsinkable?

Post by Norseman »

Never heard they were unsinkable, but all that foam may add flotation, or fuel to the fire if burning.
I bought a 6 pack life-raft earlier this year, a Viking Coastal with a canopy, about $1750, cheap insurance, easy to run into a sunken container at night, or a rock in the Keys, or something.... :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

ksquared wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:50 am I assumed Albins were unsinkable but reading this I am not sure if they are.
Kevin
Sad story, glad they were okay. For sure Albins are not unsinkable.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

SadlyI could tell you firsthand that they can sink.
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

efishnsea wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:45 am SadlyI could tell you firsthand that they can sink.
Bob, that certainly came to mind but I wasn't going to mention it.. Glad to see you are still on the water. Enjoy that Cummins. Do be sure to visit me and the team and fellow Cummins owners over on Seaboard Marine's forum.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Boat US had a magazine issue a couple years back with a 28TE sunk in her slip in the ice. They can go down for sure.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

The last unsinkable boat built was called Titanic!
Don
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Wow Golden Gate... not a great place to get into trouble. Anyone have more details on this one?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
ysbran
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Orange Beach, Al

Post by ysbran »

Mine sank this past summer. Back beam on our lift failed and she slid into canal and sank like a rock. Best boat I ever owned, had her for 16 years and still not over it. I bought another 28te to replace her. That's how much I love these boats. Hope everyone faired well in San Fran.
ksquared
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Richmond,CA

Post by ksquared »

Here are some of the posts from the fishing club forum:

"Albin 31’ went into the rocks at PT Bonita around 4pm in heavy fog broke off stern drive and may have sunk. This skipper seemed totally confused as to location and he was sinking fast. Gave Slide Ranch numbers to C G.

I could hear his passenger say how do we inflate life raft over radio.
“I don’t know where I am should I fire a flare? Come quick we are sinking.” Albin 31’ is a big boat.

19 took a part in alerting CG and they showed up and saved the passengers."

"That was the boat most likely, he said it was a new to him blue albin 31. Either the boat was called “captain perry” or he was not sure, but he mentioned that on the radio. On our way in off the north bar with a visibility of 40-50 feet, thank good we have radar, we came across a freshly deployed Viking green canopy life raft with the strobe going, and a fairly large smelly fresh oil diesel slick. No one in the raft. Interesting is life rafts did not show up on our radar we found out. Spooky end of day drama."

Call to CG to follow up:

"People rescued but boat sank at 37.48.4 122.32.5 1000 yds off the point. Watch for debris. Apparently man got disoriented, couldnt see rocks at Pt and cut it incorrectly."
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Interesting. Rocks will do that to you... but I've never heard of a 31 TE with a stern drive...
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”