• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

This much smoke after sea trial of 900 hour 28 TE?

Fastyvr
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Gibsons, B.C. Canada

This much smoke after sea trial of 900 hour 28 TE?

Post by Fastyvr »

Well another attempt and another fail.
Here is a video link for the smoke coming off a 2000 28 TE with a 900 hour 6LP-STE engine when back in its slip after sea trial.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0k90Ckc ... xpfrZ9g7dA

It was difficult to start and very smokey on start up. It ran reasonably well under sea trial. Temperature was steady and oil pressure looked good. It didn't smoke under load which i understand is typical. It only hit 3600 rpm under WOT.

Based on this much smoke i terminated the contract before mechanical inspection. It either requires some work to address a problem (and the Seller was clear that he would not participate is resolving anything that was discovered during survey) or it always smokes that much. I don't want to pay for investigation of a boat i don't own and i will not be happy with that much smoke when i'm docking or tying up or perhaps trolling.

I thought i found the perfect platform, now im not so sure.
Any thoughts?
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: This much smoke after sea trial of 900 hour 28 TE?

Post by Tree »

I think I’d want that resolved. Mine has a little smoke but that’s like starting it up on a cold winters day for me.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Yeah that is an unusual amount of smoke for the Yanmar. Mine has over 3,500 hours now and does not smoke like that on a cold start or after trolling for salmon and still starts very quickly. Add the not reaching max RPM situation and you have some things to work on there... let the seller sit on that for a while. Sorry to hear it didn't pan out for you.

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin Mad Money
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I had smoke and black soot before, then switched to diesel additive called DIESEL KLEEN and 90% of the smoke and soot disappeared.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Norseman wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:26 pm I had smoke and black soot before, then switched to diesel additive called DIESEL KLEEN and 90% of the smoke and soot disappeared.
I use that product as well... great stuff!

Anthony Warren
1999 28 Albin Mad Money
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

That seems like excessive smoke to me. Also that thing should be running after one tap of the start button. Here is what mine looks like after cold start of 50 degrees just for reference. A little smoke is normal as they are mechanical old school motors but you don’t want a lot of smoke.

https://youtu.be/J-dmETWFdSc
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Fastyvr
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Gibsons, B.C. Canada

Post by Fastyvr »

thanks for the video...that much smoke would be acceptable to me . I don't know that anything is catastrophic with the subject motor but there is something going on. I did find out that it has had no warranty work and falls into the bad valve guide grouping. There is no record of the "bad" valve guide being replaced. The search continues!
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Sure thing. I should also note that this video was taken after she got a new air heater, rebuilt turbo, and rebuilt Injectors
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”