• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE Forward Bilge Residual Water

carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

28TE Forward Bilge Residual Water

Post by carolmarie »

I’ve researched the postings on this subject and have decided to go ahead with adding a compact bilge pump near the shower sump box. I was zeroing in on the Whale SS5221 but several reviews have discouraged me somewhat. For those of you that have successfully addressed the issue, my I ask for some specifics on your solution?
Thanks, Don.
Nancy's Promise
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Keyport NJ

Re: 28TE Forward Bilge Residual Water

Post by Nancy's Promise »

BF52F547-147E-4CEA-A8F9-0355979DE3AA.png
I just bought this pump. I’m going to give it a shot. It fits in the low spot in the bilge. Under the shower sump.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll check out the dimensions too for a possible fit. Don.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

carolmarie wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:04 pm I’ve researched the postings on this subject and have decided to go ahead with adding a compact bilge pump near the shower sump box. I was zeroing in on the Whale SS5221 but several reviews have discouraged me somewhat. For those of you that have successfully addressed the issue, my I ask for some specifics on your solution?
Thanks, Don.
I installed a small pump next to the shower box with a pick-up hose positioned underneath the bilge pump and shower box so as to get most of the water out. Also a small screen on the tip of the hose to keep debris out.
Manual switch in the head area on the bulkhead.
The pump was $20 from Amazon and sturdy: Accidentally left it on overnight and it worked just fine after running dry for 12 hours. :shock:
1D912610-3557-4DF4-AD4A-72327722102F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

If I am interpreting your photo correctly, you routed the manual pump’s outlet into the shower sump and must turn on the shower sump at the DC panel in the cabin above the aft berth when you drain the bilge. Correct?
Don.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

That’s looks about right but if you position the pump further forward you can remove virtually all of the water. I’ve plumbed mine into the shower sump as above but spliced the power feed into the same switch as the shower sump. I’ve then added a small hidden foot switch under the carpet to trigger the additional pump when the shower sump is turned on. I just run it until I hear it start to gurgle then turn it off. One thing worth mentioning is the additional pump needs to have a lower GPH than the shower sump or equal to. Think I’ve two 120GPH pumps in mine which works a treat.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Great inputs. Thanks for the details. I like the shower sump “exit route”. Don.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

carolmarie wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:21 am If I am interpreting your photo correctly, you routed the manual pump’s outlet into the shower sump and must turn on the shower sump at the DC panel in the cabin above the aft berth when you drain the bilge. Correct?
Don.
Yes, correct.
But the shower sump also has a float switch, although I disconnected it, never use the inside shower anyways, only the swim platform shower.
To drain the bilge I turn on both pumps and let them run 2 for 5 minutes or whatever it takes.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

As Tree mentioned, placing the bilge pump a bit more forward and under the dinette will hit the lowest spot enabling evacuation of all water. Plumbing it to the shower sump with the float switch can enable it to run on auto even when you're away.

Another reason to have a float switch in the shower sump is to evacuate the air conditioner condensate. Both my 28 & 31 came plumbed from the Albin factory with the condensate line plumbed to the shower sump which I always just leave in the on position.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

After considerable research/thinking, I’m leaning in the direction of “Nancy’s Promise” (great name), and going with the RM1100B from Rule. I think I will replace the OEM Rule 2000 unit with it and simply go with all the existing wiring and hose. I, too, believe it will fit very low in the bilge and get the job done. I realize the setup will have reduced evacuation capacity, but the aft, midship and Whale manual pumps offer a good deal of typical protection considering a significant breach of the hull would likely overwhelm all the pumps anyway. Getting close to finalizing the design. Don.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Unfortunately the rule-style pumps won't get most of the water out. I've got with the same route as Norseman. Mine is temporarily rigged still, I want to get it on a timer and since I don't have a shower sump, I'm going to try to tee it into the head sink drain.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

I plan on installing similar to Sisu22. I'll be adding a small diaphragm pump, pickup tube, and in-line filter in the low spot under the dinette. Depending on how hard it is to run the discharge hose, I'd like to have it go through a vented loop and then tee into the head sink drain. If access is too difficult, then I'll dump it into the shower sump instead. Since diaphragm pumps can run dry, I'll put mine on a 12v timer mounted under the head sink, tapped into the 'always on' power feed on the back of the bilge pump switch panel and have it run a few min / day.

Similar solutions detailed here:
https://lifeempirically.com/2018/03/12/ ... ge-system/
https://www.panbo.com/a-dry-bilge-for-50/
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

GSSeattle wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:27 pm I plan on installing similar to Sisu22. I'll be adding a small diaphragm pump, pickup tube, and in-line filter in the low spot under the dinette. Depending on how hard it is to run the discharge hose, I'd like to have it go through a vented loop and then tee into the head sink drain. If access is too difficult, then I'll dump it into the shower sump instead. Since diaphragm pumps can run dry, I'll put mine on a 12v timer mounted under the head sink, tapped into the 'always on' power feed on the back of the bilge pump switch panel and have it run a few min / day.

This is really slick. In the 31 TE there's a water collection spot down in the keel pocket that the bilge pump in that pocket never fully evacuates. I really like the build your own links .. Thank you!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

Pitou wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:28 pm
GSSeattle wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:27 pm I plan on installing similar to Sisu22. I'll be adding a small diaphragm pump, pickup tube, and in-line filter in the low spot under the dinette. Depending on how hard it is to run the discharge hose, I'd like to have it go through a vented loop and then tee into the head sink drain. If access is too difficult, then I'll dump it into the shower sump instead. Since diaphragm pumps can run dry, I'll put mine on a 12v timer mounted under the head sink, tapped into the 'always on' power feed on the back of the bilge pump switch panel and have it run a few min / day.

This is really slick. In the 31 TE there's a water collection spot down in the keel pocket that the bilge pump in that pocket never fully evacuates. I really like the build your own links .. Thank you!
Looks good on paper anyway. I'll update once I get it installed and running, hopefully with pics. Everything was pretty reasonable on Amazon, think the most expensive piece is the vented loop. If you go with the diaphragm pump they recommend, just remember to disconnect the built in pressure switch and wire it directly to the timer.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, FL

Post by Bluewater »

I’m late to this thread as been out on the boat, but I fitted a Whale SS5212 SuperSub Smart submersible bilge pump in the midships bilge forward of the main midships pump and float switch. Being submersible and fixed at the bottom of the bilge, it sits down in the water and very effectively pumps out the annoying water that accumulates lower than the main pump float switch. Very effective.
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Ex Albin 28TE 1994 Peninsular 300
Ex Albin 43 (Lehman) and many sailboats

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”