• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE Forward Bilge Residual Water

nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: 28TE Forward Bilge Residual Water

Post by nebulatech »

GSSeattle wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:27 pm I plan on installing similar to Sisu22. I'll be adding a small diaphragm pump, pickup tube, and in-line filter in the low spot under the dinette. Depending on how hard it is to run the discharge hose, I'd like to have it go through a vented loop and then tee into the head sink drain. If access is too difficult, then I'll dump it into the shower sump instead. Since diaphragm pumps can run dry, I'll put mine on a 12v timer mounted under the head sink, tapped into the 'always on' power feed on the back of the bilge pump switch panel and have it run a few min / day.

Similar solutions detailed here:
https://lifeempirically.com/2018/03/12/ ... ge-system/
https://www.panbo.com/a-dry-bilge-for-50/
Thanks for sharing this! I had thought about using a relay and a timer. I had never considered metering the amp draw. Just wonderful!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

Installation was a success, except the 12v timer I got was a dud. Need to order a new one.
20201031_143622.jpg
I had some old starboard laying around, so built a mount for the 3/8 hose barb pickup
20201031_143838.jpg
I also had some leftover HyperVent material (that you place under cushions to keep moisture out). I didn't like the idea of using a sponge that could deteriorate. This seemed like a good pre-filter to keep any debris out, and easy to pull off and clean if need be.
20201101_092611.jpg
All mounted. There is a ton of space under the table. I may add a check valve later, but water doesn't seem to flow back through the pump.
20201101_093752.jpg
Test run (manual since the timer wasn't working) pulled all but about 1/4" of water out. Very happy with the results! I'd say it took about a minute to pull out the 2+ gallons the fwd bilge pump doesn't get. For the discharge, I ran a vented loop inside the head cabinet, and then tee'd into the head sink drain. Now back to Amazon to find a timer that actually works...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Greg, thanks for the follow up post. You've motivated me and I'm going to try the sponge route to compare. Unfortunately this will be an off season winter project, so I won't have the results until spring!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GSSeattle »

Pitou wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:42 pm Greg, thanks for the follow up post. You've motivated me and I'm going to try the sponge route to compare. Unfortunately this will be an off season winter project, so I won't have the results until spring!
Pitou - let me know how the sponge works in the spring! It will be easy to change mine over if the results are superior.
Greg

nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

https://vetco.net/products/programmable ... tgQAvD_BwE

This timer might work. Similar to what we used in the alarm business 20 years ago. It comes in 12vdc, 10 amps. If that's not enough, you may need a standalone relay. I would probably slather the circuit board with hot glue to prevent corrosion.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GSSeattle »

nebulatech wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:21 pm https://vetco.net/products/programmable ... tgQAvD_BwE

This timer might work. Similar to what we used in the alarm business 20 years ago. It comes in 12vdc, 10 amps. If that's not enough, you may need a standalone relay. I would probably slather the circuit board with hot glue to prevent corrosion.
Thanks! Turns out my cheap timer from Amazon does work. Operator error - I needed to add a jumper from the positive 12v input that powers the switch to the actual switched circuit side of the switch. Instructions that came with the timer were extremely lacking, but amazon reviews had the correct wiring diagram. Timer is rated for 16 amps, and the pump is only supposed to draw a little over 4 at full load.
Greg

nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Perfect!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”