• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peninsular speed and RPM

Larry cessna
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rock Hall MD

Peninsular speed and RPM

Post by Larry cessna »

have a 1998 28te with the Peninsular beast. With a full tank of fuel and water and 2 Ok I finally wrote down some stats and would like some feed back. I guys I get 16 knots @2600, 18 knots @ 2800 and 21.7 knots at 3200. My WOT is 3200. At 3000 rpms it heats up to 200 degrees then it goes back down to 2800 and it stays just under 200. Now that the water temp is in the low 50s it stays under 200 at 300 rpms.. I do get some smoke when I go over 2900 rpms. Your thoughts on the prop and the heat exchanger?

I am also looking for replacement seats. I am looking for a bolster type seat so I can sit loser when going on a long trip but then stand when in a harbor or trolling.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Peninsular speed and RPM

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Seems very similar to what I was getting in shady. Maybe a knot or two more. However my top end was 3400rpm. Not sure if it’s a motor or prop issue that’s keeping you from making rpm. Does your motor reach rpm in neutral?

As for the heating up issue I would say make sure your impeller is new and I would clean up the heat exchanger for sure. Shouldn’t get that warm. I had the additional issue that my raw water strainer was mounted too high so check that too. How many hours on the motor? What color is the smoke?
As for the seat I got a nice high back helm seat and just stood to the side rather than deal with a flip up bolster. In my experience they just wear out and break.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Your numbers are the same as mine. I had a '95. Afterglow was happy at 2700-2800. My WOT was higher though. (3400-3500) My temps at WOT would go over 200. To help cool things down, consider a flush. Search around here and you'll find my old post, RobS, and others.
By the way, is that smoke or steam?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Larry cessna
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Larry cessna »

I believe it's smoke as my swim platform is getting black on that side. I do not burn oil and do not lose cooling fluid. I have not run WOT in neutral yet. I am having the impeller changed and the heat exchanger acid cleaned over the winter.
Larry cessna
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Larry cessna »

How high/low should the strainer be?
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Low enough when you take the cap off with the boat in the water that water should flood over the top of it. Yea smoke from excessive load on the motor. I would contact a prop guy
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

I have the same set up, I’d consider a flush, I pay my mech to do it,my temps went down by 20 degrees at least
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I had to use the search function to find it but now I remember. I did the vinegar flush and it did make a difference. Rydlyme is the proper product.
http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... ush#p27743
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”