• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bilge Pump

Ray Whitney

Bilge Pump

Post by Ray Whitney »

Our 31TE is equipped with a Jabsco bilge pump which looks like a 5.5 gpm model 36680-2000. This is a very costly pump.( Boat US $379.00). Has anyone changed this out for something else? There does not seem to be room for the tradional type of pump next to the shaft log.
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

I did a rebuild on mine this year. Actually didn't really need it, but after 8 years I thought I'd be safe.

Don't know of any pump powerful enough that would fit under the shaft. I'm been thinking of adding another pump under the engine, and pumbing to one of the existing waterline thru-hulls, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Ray Whitney

Post by Ray Whitney »

Thanks for the reply, Is the water puppy pump, 6.3 GPM strong enough? I saw it in the Boat US catalog $179.00, however they are on ebay new for $79.95??
digitrade

Re: Bilge Pump

Post by digitrade »

I replaced the belt drive pump once. The second time I changed to the less costly Jabsco Parmax pump. Be aware that these Parmax pumps are also used for washdown and freshwater pumping. Be sure to buy the model made for bilge pumping. It does not have a pressure switch for automatic shut off, but more important it can handle oil. The standard Parmax pumps are destroyed by oil.

I have never had a failure with any of the pumps themselves, but rust destroys the metal components. I change them out every 12 - 24 months. I also use the Parmax for a small washdown pump and get the same 12 - 24 month life from it.

To be fair, I use the boat a lot and often in sloppy conditions.
Ray Whitney

Bilge Pump

Post by Ray Whitney »

Thanks for all the help, I found a new Jabsco on ebay for half price, now I will rebuild the old one for a spare.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”